Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

What an emotional, amazing day! At long last! My life just flipped upside down, and there is so much to plan in so little time! AHHHH!

Result: ACCEPTED!!!!!  :D  :eek:  :o  :rolleyes:

Geography: OOP

Year: Graduated BSc 2015

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 511 (128 CARS)

ECs: Very long term and diverse; showcased all the important things/accomplishments in my life. Intentionally leaving this vague; just do what you love and carefully select your top 10.

Interview: I forgot my water bottle, and so thought I would be doomed. The people in my circuit seemed exceptional to boot, making me not very confident going in. Looking back at this interview, it felt like a blur. I just spoke naturally and what came to mind. In almost every station when the follow-up questions were read, I found that I already touched upon most topics, and had to just repeat and reword my answer. I do remember bombing one station in particular, and not doing so hot on 2 others, but all the rest felt good!

After 6 interviews over 3 years, I am extremely grateful. I felt I had become a stronger candidate every subsequent year, so to those who did not hear good news, please please please do not give up. Keep it moving. You'll get there eventually.

I will 99% be accepting (waiting on UBC, but I've pretty much decided that this is where I want to be). Cannot wait to meet everyone in July!

Result: Accepted!

GPA: 3.95 ish

MCAT: 516 (129/129/128/130)
Interview: Thought it went well! A good mix of decent to really good stations, one or two I wasn't happy with.
Year: 4th year

ECs: lots of variety, lots of non-traditional stuff

Will be turning down my offer in favour of Western. Good luck to everyone waiting - hang in there!

Result: Waitlisted

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 518

Interview: Was myself the whole day, felt more like a conversation most of the time. Felt great afterwards but doubts started creeping in as time went on.

Year: 4th year

ECs: Pretty weak according to UofA. My top ten was probably good given my unique life experiences.

Now we wait ????

Result: Waitlisted
wGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 130 CARS
Interview: I thought it went fairly well, except for two stations. The more time that elapsed, the worse I thought I did (but doesn't that happen to everyone, haha!) 
Year: 4th 
ECs: A wide variety of experiences, multiple long term commitments. PM for more details 

I will hopefully remove myself from the waitlist once I hear about other schools. Good luck to everyone this round! :) 

Result: Accepted!

Geography: IP

Year: 3rd year undergrad

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 513 (124 CARS, I know it's pretty bad)

ECs: Not that great in my opinion and seemingly pretty mellow when reading about the amazing things everyone else has done around here! I had some long-term commitments and many activities and experiences that were more personal. 

Interview: I think it went alright, but can't tell for sure. All I can say is that as scary as it sounds (especially since it was my first interview ever) I was myself during the MMIs. I know that's easier said than done, but I felt as if I wasn't the right fit for medical school as my true self, then there's probably good reason for me not being there. On the other hand if I did get in based upon the false image I displayed of myself in attempting to be the person med schools wanted to see, then for the next few years of my life and likely also in my career as a working physician, I would struggle to keep up with this "person" who initially got into medical school, but wasn't the real me. 

Thankfully, it seemed like that wasn't the case, but once again I also think there is some luck involved in the entire process due to the undoubtedly subjective nature of application evaluation. Ultimately, I am truly grateful and fortunate to have this opportunity and it goes without saying that every year many great individuals (many of my close friends included) don't even get the chance to interview or if they do, many would-be amazing physicians also get rejected. I also want to say congratulations to HiHopes for getting into U of A as well as many other users (YesIcan55, MountainAmoeba, iweepfortheyweep, etc..) who have been active in the forums and (hopefully) been accepted! You guys have posted some great content and always kept the discussions alive, even for people like me who just lurk the forums, but never post anything ourselves. To those who were unsuccessful, all I can say is keep your dreams alive and don't stop, in fact, it may be good to be stuck on go. 

OOP

Result: Waitlisted (but taken off cause i'm going to Queen's!!) 

MCAT: 518 with 128 CARS

ECs: guitar teacher, research, club executive positions, hospital tech job (PM for more details on this section)

Interview: Was my first med interview ever so I was pretty nervous! Everything was really exciting though :D

Geography: IP

A little late but here goes!

Result: Accepted

Geography: 4th year IP

ECs: I felt they were fairly strong and diverse. Had to stretch them a bit for the Top 10.

GPA: 3.88

Interview: I felt like I killed it - was super confident afterwards, then I heard from a bunch of people who had interviewed in previous years that if you feel confident after you likely scored poorly, and if you were not at all confident you likely scored well. This had me very worried but it all worked out in the end.

I am 99% sure I'll be rejecting this offer in favor of U of A. I was much more attracted to U of C in the post-interview tour and I love Calgary, and I would love to be an animal... But I think I would get more enjoyment out of a 4-year program. Congrats everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Waitlist

In province

GPA 3.87 (10 yr exclusion applied)

Mcat: 510(129/127/128/126)

EC's: long term, extensive experience as allied health professional. Thousands of volunteer hours.

Interview: felt quite good about most stations. Afterwards i started thinking analyzing everything and realizing that I said some stupid things in a few of them though.

I'm still grateful to have a chance since i failed the UofA interview. If i do get in, it's definitely in spite of my interview.

Now to continue the painful wait

Accepted off the waitlist 11:25am Alberta time!!!!!

Yahoooo!!!

Accepted off waitlist!

OOP

GPA 3.96

MCAT 518

I'm just being paranoid but the email says I should be seeing an "Offer" tab and it's not there for me. Is it going to show up today?

I've never sent a bank deposit before. Sending one there before Jun 1 shouldn't be a problem if I do it tomorrow, right?

Please help so I can ease my paranoia and enjoy this acceptance.

Accepted off waitlist!

OOP

GPA 3.96

MCAT 518

I'm just being paranoid but the email says I should be seeing an "Offer" tab and it's not there for me. Is it going to show up today?

I've never sent a bank deposit before. Sending one there before Jun 1 shouldn't be a problem if I do it tomorrow, right?

Please help so I can ease my paranoia and enjoy this acceptance.

I've accepted my offer in UCAN, spoke to someone in admissions about the deposit. Just get the bank draft in the mail and if it looks like it might take longer than the June 1st deadline give them a heads up. It's fine as long as they have it by the end of the week.

I've accepted my offer in UCAN, spoke to someone in admissions about the deposit. Just get the bank draft in the mail and if it looks like it might take longer than the June 1st deadline give them a heads up. It's fine as long as they have it by the end of the week.

You mean you have the Offer tab showing on UCAN?

Thanks for the help!

The offer tab isn't showing up for me as well. It's probably not up yet for everyone, but I'm still paranoid that they sent the email by mistake.

I'm holding back from telling anyone because I'm so paranoid :(

Result: Accepted (will not be attending as I have accepted to MD/PhD at Ottawa)

MCAT: 515 with 128 CARS

ECs: Research, TA, Curriculum and lab development, hockey and soccer coach, campus EMS, a few exec positions etc. 

Interview: I really enoyed this interview. I feel like I messed up royally on one station, but otherwise had a great rapport with interviewers

Result: Accepted (off the wait list) yesterday!

wGPA: 3.89

Year: UG completed in 2013

MCAT: 520 (128 CARS)
EC: Unique but not fantastic I think: some LT volunteering, a lot of team-based service industry work, some travel, clinical research experience, some personal bits.

Interview: I think it went fairly well but I also think that as an interviewee other than for stations that went either horrible (1) or fantastic (1), I'm a horrible judge of my own MMI.

Geography: IP

Result: accepted off the waitlist this morning  - yippee!

wGPA: 3.77

MCAT: 504 (129 CARS) - I know, not spectacular, but not too shabby for somebody who's been out of school for over a decade and has never taken any biology/psych type courses  

geography: IP

Year: UG completed in 1996, Masters completed in 2005 

interview: Felt great. I went in relaxed and intent on enjoying myself.

ECs: lots of variety - most recently, I've been engaging with the community in events/services that my kids can also join.

13 minutes ago, Thepathlesstaken said:

Congratulations Oldbat as well! I think iweepfortheyweep and I were in the same boat. Glad you are free of the wait! Still have some on my end, but it sounded like you had a tough decision with Nova Scotia. Wishing you the best.

Thank you, iweepfortheyweep and  Thepathlesstaken.  It's a huge relief and so exciting to be embarking on this new adventure. I sent my kids a note at school this morning - my son yelled across the football field to my daughter, then she and her teammates shared a group hug, and scored a touchdown. While Halifax is an awesome city, I think we're all really happy to be sticking around for a few more years. 

Thepathlesstaken, I wish you the best of luck next week. Hoping your offer comes bright and early Monday morning!

Result: Accepted off waitlist, declining (have accepted elsewhere)

wGPA: 3.92?

MCAT: ~520 (130 CARS)

ECs: Research, TA, Air cadets + pilot's license, honour band, etc.

Interview: Thought it went ok for the most part

Year: 3rd

Was a tough choice but I think I made the right one for me!

Does anyone know when the scores are released on ucan for curiosity's sake?

• 5 weeks later...
On 2017-07-08 at 6:27 PM, ASendoh said:

Hi guys, my status still currently says waitlisted. Does anyone know when I will be able to view my application scores as I believe that the waitlist stops moving by the first day of class, and therefore I am effectively rejected already. 

In the same boat, unfortunately ended this cycle waitlisted and I can't see my scores yet either