Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Guest DancingDoc

Cannot wait to join everyone this August (OMG!!) as the 1T0s!

I am an NB resident, but went to Dalhousie in NS for university. I am graduating from my BSc this May with Honours in Neuroscience.

Undergrad GPA: 4.1/4.3

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: Q

Accepted by: UofT(!!!), Memorial, and McMaster

Rejected pre-interview: Queens, Western, Ottawa, McGill, Calgary

Deferred: Dalhousie (i.e. they review your file so it's not the same as deferring for a year, Dal does its admissions a weird way....)

Second time applying to Calgary and Dalhousie

First time applying to all of the others

I will be accepting UofT's offer :)

Guest try2dstress

I'm originally from around Toronto and am currently finishing a Master's at the University of Alberta (undergrad in engineering at U of T). This is my 1st year applying to med school.

I was accepted at: U of T, U of C, Western, Queen's (shocked and humbled by all)

rejected (pre-interview): Dal, Mac

and waitlisted by: --

My first choice: is U of T. :D

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.68 (OMSAS), 3.82 (U of T Calc) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 11,11,R,12.

I look forward to meeting you guys really soon!

Guest no wai

Hey guys... 3rd year LMP student at UofT

GPA 3.95ish

MCATS 41S

14 physical

12 verbal

15 bio

This was my first time applying to UT, Western, and Queens. Accepted at UT and Western but waitlisted at Queens.

I'll be accepting UT's offer and look forward to seeing you guys at orientation!

(ps, mac emailed this year?!)

Guest diakonos

I'm originally from Toronto, Ontario and finished 4th year of UofT in Biology. This is my 2nd time applying to U of T.

I was accepted at: UofT and UofA

rejected by: too many schools to name here...

and waitlisted by: UofO

My first choice: is U of T. :D

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.82 (OMSAS), 3.90 (U of T Calc) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 8,12,R,10.

Beyond excited about starting...it has been a long tough 4 years...taking August off for the most part!

See y'all soon...

Guest Kooman

I am a Toronto resident. Graduated from Queen's University with a BSCH in chemistry and math.

My stats are:

GPA - 3.86

MCAT - 11/10/Q/10

Extracurricular - I think this is what got me in.

Accepted by: UT, UWO

Accepted off the waitlist by: UManitoba

Waitlisted by: UBC

Without a doubt, UT all da way. 1T0 baby ... see y'all at O-week.

Guest uOttawaBch

Hi all,

Currently live in Ottawa, attending U of O.

MCAT: 36Q

VR: 10

BS: 12

PS: 14

WS: Q

I just finished third year in Biochemistry. Have previously worked in software development in Ottawa for a few years...making me older than the average applicant!

Accepted at Mac and Toronto.

Waitlisted at Queens and Western.

Was rejected pre-interview by Ottawa.

I hope everyone has a great summer!!!

Guest geekpunk

(Prologue): I can't believe I'm actually posting in this thread. I remember looking through it for the first time maybe 2 years back and just being in awe. (/Prologue)

I'm a Nova Scotia resident and just finished my 4th year of a B.Sc (Hon.) Neuroscience at Dalhousie. This is my 1st time applying to med school.

I was accepted at: UofT

Rejected pre-interview at: Waaay too many schools to name here :P

Deferred at: Dal

My first choice all along has been UofT and I still don't think it's set in that the only school that I got accepted at was my top choice.

My Undergrad GPA is: 3.77 (OMSAS), 3.90 (U of T Calc) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 8,12,P,13 = 33P

Extracurriculars are pretty standard, except I did some volunteer work in India last summer for a month. I talked about it in my essay and it came up for a solid 10 mins during my interview. I thought my interview went well overall and felt really good coming out of it.

Quick tip #1: using humour subtlely (and tastefully!) early in the interview establishes good rapport and makes everyone friendly. ;)

Can't wait to be in T.O. and meet everyone at O-week!!

Guest Newfierunner

I am originally from Newfoundland but have been at Western for the past 4 years where I have completed a Bachelor of Medical Science. This is my second time applying to medical school.

Accepted: U of T, NOSM

Rejected: Ottawa and Mac

Haven't heard yet: Memorial

GPA: 3.93 (OMSAS)

MCAT (PS,VR,BS,W): 7,10,10,Q (I guess Physics didn't sink me after all!)

Other: 2 summer NSERC grants, ESL tutoring, volunteer at retirement home and university clinic

I will be attending U of T in the fall. I can't wait to meet the class of 2010!

Guest Maelswarm

Just finished 4th year undergrad at UT, specializing in Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology.

3.92 (OMSAS/UT weighting).

37Q (13PS 13BS 11V)

Some publications (3 summers of research and a thesis project), 4 years of dragon-boating, student union, coaching high school badminton. No volunteering in hospitals, etc.

Rejected pre-interview at Mac.

Waitlisted at UWO, Queen's and McGill.

Accepted at UT and UO.

Haven't decided where I want to go yet, but I've removed myself from the waitlists already.

Guest hydes79

I am an Ontario resident. Although I was born in Guelph, I spent most of life outside Canada. I finished four years of education at an international medical school, but I left medical school before finishing the six years medical program. When I can back to Canada in 2001, I had to start all over again:(

In 2005, I finished a Bachelor degree in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Waterloo.

This is my second time applying to medical schools in Ontario, but the first time to apply to UofT. I will accept UofT offer.

Accepted: UofT:D

Waitlisted: Ottawa

Rejected (Pre-Interview): McMaster, Western

My Undergraduate OMSAS GPA is 3.92. I’m not sure if UofT adjusted my GPA, but if they did it would be ~ 3.96

MCAT: terrible VR, the rest were fine

Research: 3 undergrad NSERC, Fourth year honour thesis project, research assistant at the University of Waterloo (Currently). EC: sports, volunteer, etc. Work: Teaching assistant at UW, and local events organizer for the international student office at UW.

I look forward to seeing you in August:)

Guest TorontoDoc

I am a Toronto resident with a BSc and MSc from UofT. This is my second time applying. Last year I was waitlisted at UofT.

Accepted: UofT - I Firmly Accepted

Waitlisted: UofO

Rejected: too many

My undergraduate GPA is ~3.64 and grad GPA is 3.9.

MCAT: P9 V9 B12 N

Research: 2 publications (1 1st author), Graduate NSERC & OGS scholarships, many posters and orals at conferences

Extracurricular: volunteered in underserved region of South America (otherwise same old volunteering)

Guest jonascarter

I'm originally from Toronto, Ontario. Graduated from York University with an Honours BSc in Kinesiology and Health Science.

I was accepted at: Western (June 9)

and waitlisted by: UofT (good waitlist), Western

rejected by: Mac (pre-interview).

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.78 (OMSAS), 3.78 (U of T Calc) - I was not eligible for the weighing formula due to not having a full course load in my third year.

MCAT: 10 (VR), 11 (PS), 10 (BS), R (WS)

Extracurriculars: Ski Patrol, Toronto Distress Centre, Worked at hospital throughout university, ER volunteer, Certified SCUBA Diver, Horseback Riding, Leadership Position at a Student Club, frosh leader, NSERC.

This is my first time applying to medical school.

Edit: I will be taking myself off the good waitlist to attend Western.

Guest medapp2006

Originally from Ottawa.

Graduated from McGill University with a BSc in Psychology (2005).

Spent last year traveling and working part-time in a research lab.

1st time applying.

Accepted at: UofT, Western, Queens

Rejected pre-interview: Mac, Ottawa

1st choice: UofT

CGPA: 3.68 (with 3.9-4.0 in last 3 years after a bad start in 1st year)

MCAT(PS/VR/BS/WS):10/11/12/R

Good luck to all.

Guest omjum

I was accepted at Western and U of T and waitlisted at Mac and Queens, and now I can't decide where to go!

overall GPA 3.91, MCAT 34S, just graduated from B.Music at Queen's (my first degree was in Life Sciences, 2005), first time applying

I'm going to keep waiting from Mac, but if I don't hear by July 3, I'll either go to U of T or Western (haven't decided). Does anyone know how I indicate this on my OMSAS response form? I could provisionally accept Western and keep U of T and Mac choices open, but then what do I put on my U of T response form?

thanks!

Guest smileymd

I am from Kitchener, Ontario and have completed an undergrad in bio-medical sciences from Guelph. I am currently finishing up a MSc from McMaster in Medical Sciences.

I was accepted by U of T and rejected by the other Ontario schools pre-interview (but that is okay with me as U of T is and was always my first choice!)

My undergrad GPA: approx. 3.65 (OMSAS), 3.83 (UofT) and MCAT: (VR/PS/BS) 9, 10, 10 and Q

Grad GPA: 3.95 (don't think this mattered at all as I did a research based MSc)

I think my essay and extracurriculars helped (I have TAs, national/provincial scholarships, tons of volunteer, lots of work experiences in health-related fields and lots and lots of travel in my background!)

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and wish everyone lots of luck with everything (whether it be waitlists, big decisions or even the little ones!)

Smiles!

Guest mshammer

Nice to see some east coast representation for the class of 2010!!

I'm from Newfoundland, undergrad at Simon Fraser (BSc Hons Kinesiology), currently finishing MSc thesis from Waterloo (Kinesiology) and living in Toronto.

MCAT 28R (9,10,9)

Ugrad gpa 3.80 SFU, 3.67 OMSAS

MSc...~94% avg...not sure how they looked at that

rejected: UBC (OOP)

haven't heard yet: Memorial

some scholarships, ugrad NSERC, MSc NSERC funded, lots of volunteer work (e.g. with sports teams as a trainer, Girl Guides), quite a few publications/presentations from both undergrad and masters, completing Certificate in University Teaching at Waterloo

looking forward to meeting you folks in the fall!

GO OILERS GO!!!

Guest jtjp

Here are my stats:

Undergrad: MAC

GPA: 3.80 (unadjusted); 3.87 (U of T)

MCAT: 11/11/11 S (second time)

Accepted: U of T, Western, Ottawa

Waitlisted: Queen's

Rejected: MAC (pre-interview)

Choice: U of T is where I will be in the fall

Advice (disclaimer: these are just my opinions): Try not to stress too much about statistics. If you have a solid GPA (3.70+), good MCAT scores (10+ on each section), and have a broad assortment of extra-curriculars, then prepare some grammar-error-free applications and hope for the best (as we all know, there is some luck involved). You don't have to blow them away with an amazing essay (mine certainly wasn't). Once you get an interview, that's your chance to shine. Good luck to all.

Guest uwiUWuoft

Accepted :)

I did high school abroad (T&T) and 2 years at UWI before doing my undergrad at Waterloo. This is my first time applying (applied at beginning of 4th year). As far as grades and stuff go -

MCAT: PS 13, BS 14, VR 9, WS R.

GPA: 3.77 (OMSAS), 3.87 (UofT calc)

Some research (no publications though) through volunteering and NSERC, volunteer (hospitals, internationally, university clubs, orientation), track and field...

I applied to all in Ontario besides Northern Ontario and results:

rejected >: pre-interview by Ottawa (needed a 3.83 GPA), Queens and Western (that 9 in Verbal hurt me bad).

accepted :D at McMaster and Toronto

See you in Toronto in August.

Advice to applicants: be solid in all your courses rather than great in some and less than great in others. Also, be solid across the board for MCAT--it is much better to have solid scores across all sections (especially verbal) than to blow away a few. Volunteer and do research to understand what you are getting into and to understand the challenges of leadership. Feel free to explore other stuff and professions too the more you consider about your future the smoother the transition.

One last thing, seriously consider a plan B before January rolls around; statistically not everyone will get in :o and no worries just keep trying but it'll be a lot less stressful if you have something else planned out just in case.

Guest cher002

Hi all,

Since I was waitlisted and waiting for my summer job to start, I figure I'll contribute to this collection of stats.

Waitlisted: Toronto, Ottawa

Rejected Pre-interview: Everywhere else in Ontario except Western (where I didn't apply because I didnt' want to take Organic Chem :P )

MCAT: 7 P (eek! probably why I was rejected pre-interview), 9 V, 11 BS, Writting Sample = Q

GPA: OMSAS calc 3.9

4th year Bio-medical Sciences student at U of Guelph

Extracurricular activities: lots of volunteering at animal hospitals ( I decided to go to medical school this for sure just this year :P , Initially I wanted to be a vet),

2 NSERC USRAs, philosophy award, 4th year research project, 1 publication - 3rd author, martial arts training, Relay for Life organizer, and other volunteer stuff here and there

Let's see what else? I love music and nice walks on the beach :D

Since my MCAT scores weren't very good I was really surprised to even get an interview at Toronto. So, I hope my stats reassures people that didn't do well on their MCATS that it is still possible to get an interview at U of T. Hope to see you guys in the fall in med school, if not, I'm going to U of T anyway for my masters in Community health and epidemiology! :D

My parting words for those who are applying for medical school is to definitely come up with a plan B that is still in the field your are interested in. And if you don't get in, I figure medicine is the kind of career that a person dedicates his/hers life to, so a year or 2 set back doesn't really mean much in a lifetime :D Good luck to all and congratulations to those who are accepted!

Cher

• 3 weeks later...

I'm originally from Halifax, NS and graduated from Acadia University with an honours in Biology, 2nd major Math in 2005. This was my 1st time applying to U of T.

I was accepted at: U of T and Dalhousie.

I didn't apply anywhere else.

My first choice: is U of T.

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.97 (OMSAS), 3.99 (U of T Calc) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 12,12,M,11.

I can't wait to move to Toronto and start!

Guest cedar05

Hello everyone,

I am from halifax and I graduated from Dalhousie last year with an honours degree in Neuroscience.

MCAT: VS 9, BS 9, PS 9

gpa: around 4.1/4.3 (toronto calculation) - I don't know exactly

accepted: UofT, Dal, Ottawa (off the waitlist)

rejected pre-interview: McMaster, Western

1st time applying to Toronto and I have decided to take their offer!

See you soon!

Guest rugger48

did my honours BSc. at U of T with a double major in physiology and math and a minor in sociology.

first time applying to med schools. i applied to U of T, queens, mcmaster, western and ottawa.

got rejected pre-interview at mcmaster.

i interviewed at the other 4 schools.

accepted: U of T, ottawa,

waitlisted: western, queens

I have whole-heartedly accepted U of T.

MCAT: PS 12, BS 12, VR 10, WS S

GPA: 3.93 (U of T formula)

2 summers of reseaerch (no publications), volunteered in various departments in hospitals, BBDC, SLRI.

tons of student government positions, terms in residence/student council, varsity rugby, coach intramural rugby, play Div I intramural soccer, high school softball team, cross country team etc., 3 years doing orientation/frosh week, RA for my floor in rez, various university clubs and organizations, a few scholarships (mostly academic), tutoring high school and university students, many part-time jobs etc.

Guest KarateMD2010

Hi everyone! Hope all are doing well. I put off posting my mini-bio here, but I figured it will help those who are contemplating applying.

Third-Year Biochemistry, at the University of Windsor (SWOMEN applicant from Windsor).

GPA: 3.95 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 32T

Physical: 11

Verbal: 10

Bio: 11

Writing Sample: T

Extracurriculars: Teaching karate, 3 summer NSERC awards, hospital volunteer work, various one-day events, and travelling.

Applied to: UWO, Mac, UBC, U of T, Queen's, Ottawa, Alberta, Calgary, and even Memorial (is it obvious that I wanted to move on??)

No Love: Ottawa (who don't seem to like third years), Memorial, and

Alberta & Calgary (who maybe don't like Ontarians...lol...just kidding)

Interviews: UBC, UWO, McMaster, U of T, and Queen's

Waitlisted: UBC (OOP), U of T, and Queen's.

Accepted: UWO and McMaster! :)

I already firmly accepted UWO's offer and am looking forward to meeting all my fellow classmates at the end of August. Good luck to those applying and those waitlisted at Toronto.

Guest medstudnt

I'm originally from St. Catharines, Ontario and finished 3rd year of Physiology at Western University. This is my 1st time applying to U of T.

I was accepted at: UWO and Queens

rejected by: UT and UO

and waitlisted by: Mac

My first choice: is UWO.

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.96 (OMSAS), 4.0 (U of T Calc) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 12,14,S,14

Good luck in the future!!!