Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted (Off waitlist)

OOP-4th year undergrad

GPA: 3.95, 91.5% overall average

MCAT: 515

Interview: Didn't feel great

ECs: Extensive and long-term

I accepted MD/PhD in March, now I'm conflicted about whether I made the right choice

Timestamp: 2017-05-29 7:07pm EST

Edited by Curiousaboutapps1

Result: Accepted (Off waitlist)

OOP-4th year undergrad

GPA: 3.95, 91.5% overall average

MCAT: 515

Interview: Didn't feel great

ECs: Extensive and long-term

I accepted MD/PhD in March, now I'm conflicted about whether I made the right choice

Timestamp: 2017-05-29 7:07pm EST

Congratulations on your acceptance to all those programs. If you got accepted to the MD/PhD program, I would personally go for that one! It will provide you many more opportunities in the future.

Plus, at the very least, you will a 'double-doctor', meaning your patients can ask, "Doctor-Doctor give me the news!"

Result: Accepted (Off waitlist) - VFMP

Time stamp: May 29th, 7:07 pm EST

IP - Finished MSc

GPA: ~85%

ECs: Only one long term volunteer position (not hospital related), lots of leadership and research (publications, presentations, and awards), and other regular extracurriculars

MCAT: 30R

Interview: I had some doubts about a few of my answers, but overall felt pretty good. Was totally not prepared for the writing station and could barely keep up with writing for 30 minutes straight, haha.

Result: Accepted (Off Waitlist) - VFMP
Time stamp: 4:07 PM PST
IP- Completed BSC
GPA- ~84.5%
ECs: A lot
MCAT: 30

Notes: Strong upward curve, with worst year taken out.

I also applied last year, and my stats that year were:
AGPA: 82.96
AQ: 20.62
NAQ: 35.54
TFR: 56.16
Interview: Below Average

I just wanted to post because seeing all the Wait-list posts during this cycle gave me hope that I had a shot, and that seeing my scores from the previous year give others hope that even if you have a bad year with your interview, or if your grades aren't as high as you'd like, ( are they ever?) There's still hope.

25 minutes ago, Jibrail said:

Result: Accepted (Off Waitlist) - VFMP
Time stamp: 4:07 PM PST
IP- Completed BSC
GPA- ~84.5%
ECs: A lot
MCAT: 30

Notes: Strong upward curve, with worst year taken out.

I also applied last year, and my stats that year were:
AGPA: 82.96
AQ: 20.62
NAQ: 35.54
TFR: 56.16
Interview: Below Average

I just wanted to post because seeing all the Wait-list posts during this cycle gave me hope that I had a shot, and that seeing my scores from the previous year give others hope that even if you have a bad year with your interview, or if your grades aren't as high as you'd like, ( are they ever?) There's still hope.

Thank you for posting and congratulations!!

Result: Accepted (off waitlist) to SMP

Timestamp: 2:05PM PST 

IP: MSc completed in 2013 and have been working for a couple of years

aGPA: 84%

MCAT: 28 (9/9/10)

Interview: I have been waitlisted four times with varying scores for interviews, so I'm not sure that your subjective interpretation of how you feel about your performance is accurate. But I tried to be as authentic as my nerves allowed each and every time. 

I'm also a fifth time applicant. Good luck to the waitlisted folks! Know that being selected for an interview or waitlist is an impressive achievement. Keep pushing!

Result: Accepted 

Timestamp: 2:04PM PST 

IP: MSc completed 

aGPA: 88%

MCAT: 31 (12/9/10)

EC: Lots and varied including volunteer work, sports, work experiences, scholarships, conferences and much more. 

Interview: Thought it went well - gave genuine answers and practiced a lot for it. 

Result : Accepted to NMP (First Choice)

Timestamp: 4:21PM (May 12)

IP: BSc (UBC Van)
aGPA: ~90%
MCAT: 517

EC:  Tons of sports related stuff among other things (PM me for more)
Interview: Thought it went great right after the interview (tons of back and forth between interviewers and it seemed more like a conversation than an interview). Questioned my answers months after the interview.

If anyone has any questions go ahead and pm me. 2nd time applying and just excited to get in and start. Thought I would hop in and post since I tend to lurk a ton on these forums.

Accepted at VFMP (1st Choice) 

IP

Time Stamp: May 12 6:30PM EST

3rd year UG, 1st time applicant

GPA: around 91.4~91.6%

MCAT: 127/129/127/128 (511)

ECs: I think pretty unique - lots of dancing, modeling, charity, hospitals, and MUN. Message me for a full list!

Interview: Defs screwed up one station, made 4 stations interviewers laugh and I was smiling when I exited the building. But after the interview, I started rethinking my answers and started to feel horrible about them. I convinced myself that I won't be getting into med this year.. But I heard the good news in mid may! I think the key is to not look back and wait patiently. 

As a lurker since this September, I am grateful for this forum to give me the emotional support (and turmoil lol) that I needed. I am so lucky to be leaving my undergraduate years early and want to give back to whomever needs help. 

On 6/12/2017 at 11:25 PM, asd873 said:

Result: Accepted (off waitlist) to SMP

Timestamp: 2:05PM PST 

IP: MSc completed in 2013 and have been working for a couple of years

aGPA: 84%

MCAT: 28 (9/9/10)

Interview: I have been waitlisted four times with varying scores for interviews, so I'm not sure that your subjective interpretation of how you feel about your performance is accurate. But I tried to be as authentic as my nerves allowed each and every time. 

I'm also a fifth time applicant. Good luck to the waitlisted folks! Know that being selected for an interview or waitlist is an impressive achievement. Keep pushing!

Well earned!

• 1 month later...

I've been lurking these forums since 2009. This forum has helped me significantly in gaining admission to UBC medical school this application cycle. Thank you!

Result: Accepted VFMP (third application, second interview)

IP: BSc

aGPA: 89%

MCAT: 29 (11BS / 7VR / 11PS). Don't let a low MCAT score keep you down. You can make up for it in other areas!

EC: Lots and varied including volunteer work, sports, work experiences, scholarships, research, shadowing, etc.

Interview: Killed it. I am convinced this is what helped me overcome a low VR score and get in.

Timestamp: May 12, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Result: Accepted

IP: BSc

AGPA: ~94%

MCAT: 519 

Interview: Did not feel great about it to be honest. Really felt like my answers lacked substance and left feeling uneasy. Definitely "weirder" questions than what is available online for practice. 

ECs: I have done almost no volunteering. I have lots of research experience - author on a few scientific journal articles, research during my undergrad, and experience as a research assistant. Typical rec sports, lots of music, etc)

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, apple_med said:

Template for the upcoming decision day for 2018 entrance...

TIME STAMP:

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection:
Early or Regular Deadline:
AGPA: 
MCAT: 
ECs: 
Geography: 
Interview: 

NAQ:
AQ:

TFR:

Almost had a heart attack lol :D

3 minutes ago, this_process_is_death said:

4th! And 10:30 Vancouver time

Dude I'm not checking until after work, but I feel like I'm going to be right there with ya.  The debate is going to be what to do next...  Any plans?  There's more fish to fry than medicine specifically, and honestly the system is set to change intensely over the next few decades.  May be even better opportunities to be had...