Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest JTTC

BC resident. 86% GPA overall, 90% pre-req, 86% last 60. MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (Q)

Rejected. First time applying.

Guest hiredhelp

BC Resident- finishing 4th year of Pharmacy (had 1 year general science). 85% GPA overall, 87% last 60. Mcat scores were:

PS: 11

V: 10

BS: 13

Writing Sample (Q)

First time applying.

Guest ssc427

BC resident - finishing PhD in biophysics.

Accepted to IMP (1st choice)

first time applying

7.6 last 60 (goofy UVic scale)

BS 12

PS 13

VR 11

WS Q

Also accepted and waitlisted at a few other places but will be attending UBC in the fall :)

See you all in the fall!

Guest UBCstu

BC resident- in final yr of honours biochem degree

gpa ~85%

MCAT

physical: 14

verbal: 11

biological: 12

writing: R

I was rejected by UBC (first attempt).

Guest qootan

BC resident, in-prov. Finished an undergrad degree in Biochemistry at McGill last year. My GPA was 3.96 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UBC and U of A, and rejected pre-interview by U of C. First time applying.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice.

See you all in the Fall!

Guest nostalg

I'm a BC resident. I finished my B.Sc. Last year. My GPA was (79) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9,9

Verbal: 8,9

Biological Sciences: 10,12

Written Sample: M, O

I was ( waitlisted) by UBC. This is my ( second ) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC Med School) as my first choice.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Alberta Resident. Completed BSC in Biochem a few years ago.

3.56 GPA

MCAT: 12,12,12,S

I was rejected by UBC

Accepted by UofA

Waitlisted by UofC

Still waiting on Manitoba.

Rejected pre-interview by UofT, UofO, OWO, Queens.

This was my second year applying. Last year I just missed the interview cutoff.

Guest csp0304

BC resident. Just finished 3rd year pharmacology at UBC.

The overall GPA I applied with was 91%.

My MCAT wasn't too great.

Physical Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (N)

I was accepted to VFMP. This is my first time applying.

See you in August!

Guest GundamDX

I'm a BC resident in the last year (5th)of my Microbiology and Immunology Co-op Program.

GPAs (ones I applied with): overall - ~85%

last 60 - ~85%

prereqs - ~85%

*my last term (this term) was so bad it was a 80% avg so brought my *official* last 60 down to 84.4% :P

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8 <--- yes bad, I know

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: R

I was accepted by UBC. This is my first time applying to this school.

I'll go to UBC (VF program) for sure because that's the only school that interviewed me and took me :)

U of T: GPA too low for it I guess... OMSAS made me into a 3.79, I think

Queens: didn't make the 32 cutoff

I've posted the list of ECs that I applied with a while ago coz I was wondering if I could get an interview...:P have a look at if you want.

Since this board has been so helpful I'd be happy to answer questions from anyone if I could be of assistance in anyway.

Class of 2010 see you all in August, can't wait to meet all of you !!!

Guest Persistent

Hey everyone,

congrats to everyone who got in... To those who are waitlisted/rejected, do not give up hope. Persistence goes a long way.

As for my stats... it'll leave you wondering why I got in.. :S

I'm a (BC) resident. I got my BSc in 2004 (major=psych, minor=philosophy). My overall GPA was (77.7%), Last 60 credits GPA was (80.2%), and my preReq GPA was (73%) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (8)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was (accepted) by UBC. This is my (third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (UBC Med School) as my first choice. UBC is the only Canadian school I applied to (this is pretty obvious with my gpa/mcat scores and my OOP status for all other schools).

Yes, UBC does put a lot of emphasis on ECs and Interview, both of which I feel like I did a good job of. And.... I think my persistence paid off especially because I was able to portray it to them during my interview. Don't lose faith, keep trying if this is really what you want to do and where you want to do it.

Also, to answer the question of a previous thread (long ago)...YES you can get in with a 78% avg and it is definately worth applying. I am proof of that. If anyone needs any subjective advice which comes with no guarantees, private msg me and I would love to give you my $0.02.

Congrats/Good Luck.

Persistent

Guest ubcredfox

B.C. resident; B.Sc. (Honours) in 2005 from UBC.

GPA overall was something like 82% and around 90% for the last two years.

MCAT scores:

11 Verbal

12 Biological

13 Physical

Q Writing Sample

I was accepted by UBC and Queen's. It is my 2nd time applying to UBC (after being rejected without interview the first time) and my 1st time applying to Queen's. I actually don't know which school to choose....

• 1 month later...
Guest KarateMD2010

Hi everyone! Hope all are doing well. I put off posting my mini-bio here, but I figured it will help those who are contemplating applying.

Third-Year Biochemistry, at the University of Windsor (SWOMEN applicant from Windsor).

GPA: 3.95 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 32T

Physical: 11

Verbal: 10

Bio: 11

Writing Sample: T

Extracurriculars: Teaching karate, hospital volunteer work, various one-day events, and travelling.

Applied to: UWO, Mac, UBC, U of T, Queen's, Ottawa, Alberta, Calgary, and even Memorial (is it obvious that I wanted to move on??)

No Love: Ottawa (who don't seem to like third years), Memorial, and

Alberta & Calgary (who maybe don't like Ontarians...lol...just kidding)

Interviews: UBC, UWO, McMaster, U of T, and Queen's

Waitlisted: UBC (OOP), U of T, and Queen's.

Accepted: UWO and McMaster! :)

I already accepted UWO's offer and am looking forward to meeting all my fellow classmates at the end of August. Good luck to those applying and those waitlisted.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest UAlabrat

I attended highschool in BC and university in Alberta, so I'm considered a resident in both provinces. I just finished by undergrad in Medical Laboratory Science at the U of A. My cGPA was ~3.6, my best year 3.9.

MCAT scores: 8 (gross), 13, 11, Q

I applied to U of C, UBC and UWO, but interviewed only at UBC and UofC. I was accepted to both schools, but declined UBC because I got into NMP. I'm waitlisted for VFP (which was my first choice), and it looks like I'll be heading to Calgary. This is the second time I've applied and interviewed...

• 9 months later...

Hey, I see no one has been posting this year, so I'll kick things off.

B.C. resident; B.Sc. (Honours) in 2006 from UBC.

GPA overall was 81% and 87% for the last 60 credits.

MCAT scores

9 Verbal

11 Biological

12 Physical

Q Writing Sample

Volunteering in hospices, hospitals (local and international), and some fundraising. Lots of research and two publications. Lots of sports and some leadership through student groups.

This is my third time applying, first time rejected w/o interview, last year I was waitlisted, this year I was accepted to VFMP. I applied all over the place but was only interviewed at UBC, I'm considered in-province for Ontario too, but still no luck there.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted, for those who didn't, keep trying, it will happen for you.

D

B.C. resident. B.Sc. in Physics from UBC (2006).

GPA=83.8%

Last 60=86.3% (according to my calculations)

Prereq=79.5%

MCAT scores

10 Verbal

8 Biological

10 Physical

Q Writing Sample

Volunteer trip to an orphanage in Haiti (2002), volunteer trip and physician shadowing for 2 weeks in Congo (2006). Surgeon shadowing in Brazil. Some other minor volunteering. Two years working as a care aid at a group home for disabled persons. Extensive travelling (South America, Europe, Africa, Central America..). Sports throughout high school and intramurals at UBC.

Second time applying to UBC. Last year I did not do well on the interview (young and nervous) and was rejected. This year worked very hard on my essay and practiced extensively for the interview. Thought I nailed it and I'm kinda wondering where I went wrong in my application...??... Guess I have to wait for the rejection package to come.

Congratulations to all those who got offers! To all those who share my fate, don't give up and try again come October.

MCAT: 44Q (10P, 12V, 12B)

Good thing they don't have simple addition on the MCAT. At first I saw your score and thought wow!

My stats

Accept NMP

BSc Biology Waterloo 1995, 85 GPA all categories

MSc Biology UVic 2001 slightly better GPA

MCAT 37P 13 VR, 12, 12

Rural applicant

Age 35

First time applying.

Rejected post interview. First time applying. IP.

Last 60 ~82%.

Overall ~81%.

MCAT 32P.

3rd year applicant in a coop program

Various volunteering (some long term, some short term), music, travelling...

Obviously there were numerous flaws with my application, but could my selection of "no interest" for NMP and IMP in the site choosing section have contributed to my rejection? I understand they don't see my choices until offers are made though. I'm not saying this would apply to me, but say, hypothetically, if they have an applicant that chose "no interest" for NMP and IMP and there are no spots left for VFMP then what would they do with that applicant?

BC Resident

BSC (honours) at UBC 2005

Overall Average:84

Last 60 Credits:86

Prerequisites:80

MCAT: 31M (12, 7, 12) ;38O (14P, 10V, 14B)

This is my second time apply. Last year, I was rejected because of a not so strong reference letter and my MCAT score. My prof said he would like to see me pursue a career in research in the letter; that gave me the flag. I aced last interview. 88% after scale 10/10 for recommendation.

This year, I am in the waitlist. Last year, the adm people told me to retake the MCAT and ask for another acedemic reference. I deligently followed their suggestions, but apparantly there are still problems in my application.

I still don't know why I am in waitlist this time. Maybe my MCAT score is still not high enough for them. Anyways, I hope I would never get to know the reason. I want to get in this year.

________

Medical marijuana seeds

BC Resident, BSc in Microbiology & Immunology (07)

GPA around 85-86% for each category

MCAT 10/11/12Q

One NSERC, competitive swimming, soup kitchen, multi-ethnic school club founder, hospital, tons of hours at daycamps/overnight camps for kids, Aboriginal reserves, volunteer coordinator.

I was shocked I got in because I didn't feel my interview went amazing, I felt I came across as young & really nervous and the interviewers were mainly stone faced. I look forward to meeting you guys in Sept! :)

Accepted NMP (1st choice)

BC resident

Overall GPA ~84%

Last 60 credits ~88%

Prereq's ~80%

MCAT 27 ( took it twelve years post organic chem and took it in the ear, I think it shows that a poor MCAT can be over come.)

B.Sc. from UBC in Microbio in 1998

Have been a chiropractor for almost six years.

EC's medical director 2004 BC summer Games, vice-president 2006 BC seniors Games, Board of directors (community foundation, land trust society, social development advisory) did clinical rotation in AIDS clinic, clinic for severe disabilities, varsity football player at UBC, internship at rhode island spine center, marathon runner, one paper published etc...

Somewhat shocked but totally relieved.

Ryan

Second time applying, rejected last year post interview.

BC resident

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

4th time applying (rejected no interview, rejected post-interview x 2, accepted)

Overall GPA: 77%

Final 60: 87.1%

Pre-req: 70.5%

Academic score: 2003 (15.4), 2004 (19), 2005 (19.6)

MCAT

2003: 8(PS), 8 (BS), 11 (VR), Q (WS)

2006: 9(PS), 11(BS), 10(VR), O(WS)

Non-Academic: Tons of leadership positions, lived in Japan for two years, lived in Mexico for six months working with doctors in a clinic, hospital volunteer, first-aid volunteer, volunteer fireman, music (piano, percussion), tons of sports (playing and coaching) - this has always been the stronger part of my application (2004: 18.4, 2005: 17.7, 2006: 20.4).

I had bad interviews in my second and third time applying (2004: 75.3 consensus, 5/10 recommendation, 2005: 75.95 consensus, 4.5/10 recommendation, 2006: must have been better).

I was a late bloomer, not wanting to do medicine until I finished my first undergrad (biology) - after living in Japan I tried to give medicine a try - boosted up my GPA by going back and then boosted my Non-Academic by volunteering tons (had already done a lot in my first undergrad). I've been a teacher while waiting.

I was always encouraged by those who got in with not so steller academic marks and MCATS (I love my pre-req GPA!) - so I encourage those people to keep trying - do whatever you can - and do great on the interview and you never know!

BC Resident

Accepted to VFMP (1st choice)

2nd time applying (rejected post interview last year)

B.Sc (Honours)

Overall: 83%

Final 60: 84%

Prereq: 82%

MCAT: 10,10,6 (VR-> was horrible, but it's hope to all those who have poor MCAT scores. You can still get in with a six!) WS:0

EC: Research (3 papers pending), hospital volunteering, volunteering overseas, a few community service positions, traveled, involved in university student club, tutor, etc

Keep trying and don't be discouraged by a low MCAT score. Rock the interview! Good luck everyone!

I'm a BC resident in my 3rd year honours biochemistry studies.

MCAT 38O

Physical Sciences: 15

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: O

GPA

Overall: 89

Last 60: 89

Pre-req: 85

I was accepted by UBC VFMP (first choice). This is my first time applying to this school.

Volunteer in hospital, Canadian Cancer Society, Summer camp leader, World Vision advocator. Piano teacher, high school tutor for 5 years.

Can't wait to see you all in class!!!

For those who are still waiting or can't make it this year, I also want to see you guys this year or the upcoming year!!!

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Non-BC Resident

GPA (overall): 77%

GPA (final 60): 86%

MCAT: 36M (11P, 12B, 13VR)

B.Sc (hon) Biochemistry

M.Sc Microbiology (defending next month) (GPA: 85%)

4 years research experience (microbiology), 3 peer-reviewed publications

12 months of medical related volunteer exp (4-6hr/week)

3 years of community service volunteer exp (2-8hr/week)

1st time applicant