Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

So excited that I get to post this..Accepted VFMP!

Graduated in 2010 with a BSc in Physiology

2nd time applicant-last year rejected post interview

I was floored when I got my acceptance letter- I applied to do a masters degree next year and was in the midst of studying for my MCAT to rewrite( I actually studied the night before haha), and had mapped out roughly what I thought I needed for my ECs to get in after my masters degree.

cGPA 3.91

(last year I had 3.88 and I got between 87-89 for all three categories)

MCAT BS/PS/VR 14/12/7 R 33R ( yes I know 7, I have spent the last 8 months reading like a maniac, every non-fiction book I can get my hands on in an effort to hopefully do better the next time)

I really didn't have that many EC's compared to most people( 12 last year). I had done some volunteer work at a few hospitals throughout undergrad and worked in the geriatric unit of the hospital in the same department where I used to volunteer for 1 summer. A bit of research, TA'd 3 classes in 4th year, volunteering abroad, and few other things.

Interview - Thought it went horribly. I actually felt last years went much better..I turned all red and felt myself stuttering in one station, and had a few other bad ones where I was completely off topic because I didn't really 'get the question' so I just rambled on about what I had read on that topic.. wrote pretty good essays I thought though

I had spent hours and hours looking through these threads after I got rejected last year comparing myself to other people with amazing ECs! I thought I had finally cracked the code of what UBC is looking for and was rapidly trying to improve myself to come close to meeting that.. This goes to show that you NEVER know what they are really looking for.

I feel awful for everyone who got rejected and I remember how low I felt this time last year. Although I am kind of glad it happened this way. In med school it seems everything is set up for you and all you have to do is work within the established guidelines. Getting rejected with no plan for the subsequent year forced me to grow up and do a lot of self assessing and take a proactive look at my future.

Excited to meet everyone in the fall!

Regrets:

TFR: 38.27

AQ: 17/25

PR AV: 85

Overall: 85

Final 60: 85

NAQ 20/25

Apparently average interview.

third time interviewing (a little persistence point here???)

congrats to those accepted at ubc:D the competition is tough so it's definitely something to be proud of!

Long time lurker here. This thread always gave me hope of acceptance whenever I felt that my AQ stats were too mediocre for UBC Med. I hope that my own will motivate others with similar stats to keep on trying.

Accepted to VFMP, first choice

IP

Overall avg: %79.8

Last 60: %85.3

Pre-req: %74

MCAT: 35Q

Second application. Rejected pre-interview in last year. Busted my ass in 4th year to raise averages to a relatively competitive level.

accepted, IP

prereq:74.38%

overall gpa: 79.80%

final 60: 84.10%

mcat 11/12/13 R (VR/PS/BS WS)

pretty decent extra curriculars. Nothing outstanding though. volunteered with my church. did sports. travelled a bit. volunteered in a hospital.

I felt my interview went pretty well. Especially compared to last year. Last year, I thought I did well but only got 'average' score. This year, I'm guessing I was 'above average'. This is my 3rd year applying and I got into 2 schools. The biggest difference between this year and the last was my interviews. I really practiced a lot and felt much more confident during them. If anyone is getting 'average' interview score and are planning to apply again, I recommend working on your interview skills. Especially mmi.

For those of you on the waitlist, I will probably decline my offer to go to mcmaster. Good luck everyone.

Long time lurker, promised myself I would add to the pool of knowledge if accepted :) (Also some assurance for those with poor NAQs- I literally did not leave anything out in this post from what was on my application, however I obviously worded things a little more eloquently there)

I'm a BC resident in undergrad studies. My GPA was 84% overall (85% last 90; 84% pre-reqs) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UBC (VFMP-first choice). This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice.

NAQ:

Awards: Duke of Ed Silver (Way back in high school.. yeah I know, I had nothing else to add here); High school scholarship for 5 years on honor roll

Service Ethic: Hospital Volunteer (~1 year, 120 h)

Diversity of Experience: A couple of poster presentations; Some personal travel

Employment History: 8 months co-op job in a research lab; 4 years in a restaurant; 8 months work study position (lab maintenance-type stuff)

Accepted to SMP.

Third-year OOP from Toronto.

Overall: 93%

Last 60s: 93%

Pre-reqs: 92%

MCAT PS 13/VR 10/BS 14=37Q

EC's - environmental campaign, social justice, music, newspaper editorship; research (no pubs - yet); many years of hospital volunteering

Currently undecided between UBC and UofT...

Guess I got lucky. Sadly (for other like me out there), this seems like it'll be the last year for the academically stunted to have a chance at UBC. Not sure why they would deprive the pool of so many qualified applicants, but I guess Dr. Finkler, et al., have their reasons.

IP VFMP Accepted

Overall: 79%

Last 60: 90%

Pre-reqs: 68%

MCAT: 12/13/13/Q

NAQ's: Overseas Volunteering, Research, etc. (Recieved ~18/18/19 last 3 years)

Interview: Thought I bombed it.

IP. First application. Graduated from UBC last year. Rural applicant.

Not overly surprised that I was rejected, but disappointed nonetheless.

Pre-reqs: 77% , Final 60: 86% , Overall: 80%

MCAT: 9/10/11 O

AQ: 12.01

NAQ: 16.47

Interview: Average - I wish I knew whether I was on the upper or the lower end of average though, as I didn't feel that it went horribly. Next year I will practice more (assuming I get an interview again....).

Questions: Do they really not care what you do after June 1st, 2011, as someone mentioned above or in another thread? (ie. hours working/volunteering over the summer if I submit my next application in August). Is it possible to raise my AQ score a noticeable amount without doing a whole other degree? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Congrats to all who got accepted!

This is really hard for me to write, but after numerous applications, I received another regrets, not even a waitlist this time.

stats:

ogpa 81, l60 81 aq 9.8

naq 20

interview average

grad student

10-year rule applied

i felt the interview went well, with the exception of a few stations where i had no idea how i did. this rejection was a surprise to me as i thought i had a good performance compared to last year where i provided absolutely nothing at 2 stations and still ended up getting waitlisted.

congrats to everyone who got in!!! enjoy it!!!

I've been waitlisted for the past 2 years despite making large improvements in almost every area this year (increased AQ a little, Awards, NAQ by alot, Employment) - all except in my MCAT. Gotta say, it's kinda disappointing....

So, my MCAT scores are VR 9, BS 10, PS 12, WS Q. My average however is Last 60 88.7%, Overall 87%, Prereq 84%. My prereqs for English came from AP so I'm assuming they will look more strongly at my VR to determine my English skills.

So my question is...should I start making plans to rewrite the MCAT (maybe after next week when I'll be pretty sure I won't get off the waitlist)? I feel that the only way for me to improve drastically is for me to take an expensive $1500 course (which I really don't want to pay for). There does seem to be a difference between my MCAT score and my prereq average...but then again, I feel that UBC might not care that much about the MCAT, and my score isn't extremely bad...it's just slightly below average. Let's assume for now that I am only applying to UBC. Thoughts?

Accepted IP VFMP

Second time applying. First time rejected after interview.

Overall: ~87%

Last 60: ~85%

Pre-req: ~85%

MCAT: 9/14/13/P

NAQ: last year when I was rejected my score was ~14.5. Volunteered in hospital and clinic, MUG leader for UBC Imagine day for 2 years, some sports, clubs, reading buddies and piano. This year might have increased a bit, since each activity had a longer duration.

Interview: It's ALL interview!! Last year when I was rejected I had average interview score. I felt like I was repeating myself for many of the stations to fill up some time, and I guess the interviewers weren't impressed.

Looking forward to meeting all of those who have been accepted in September, and good luck to all the new applicants!

Accepted off the waitlist at 5:08pm today - SMP. (stats are posted earlier)

Such a surprise - I checked my e-mail about 50 times today then came home, went to soccer, had a beer after the game, had a shower, sat on my couch with my laptop around 11pm and then found the e-mail!

I'll accept unless I get an offer from U of C before Friday....fingers are crossed for that to happen, but I am incredibly relieved to have an offer anywhere. Good luck to the rest of you on the WL - dreams do come true!!

4th year OOP applicant

Was originally waitlisted, but was accepted off the waitlist yesterday for IMP

Overall: 3.95-ish (not sure what that translated to on the UBC scale)

MCAT: 10/11/10 Q

NAQ's: I think this was probably the biggest strength of my application. I had lots of volunteering (in the inner city, with a youth group, coaching kids soccer, crocheting baby blankets for foster care agencies, and visiting patients in a hospital); started a social justice club on campus; NSERC lab work; Grade 10 piano; sports (soccer, hockey, ultimate frisbee).

Interview: I definitely over-analyzed my performance at the interview, because at first I was sure I'd bombed. In retrospect, however, after having done a couple of other interviews, I think I did quite well on most of the stations, with the exception of some of the new stations.

Applied: U of A, U of C, UBC, and MUN (Newfoundland)

Interviewed: U of A, U of C, UBC, MUN

Accepted: U of A, U of C, UBC

I will be turning down my acceptance at UBC in favour of U of A (for me, it's simply a matter of staying close to family and friends)

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday :)

4th year OOP

MCAT: 14/10/12 P

GPA: 3.89-ish

NAQ: I really thought my application would fall through here considering I am OOP. I had pretty average stuff: volunteering in the hospital, mentorship program, fundraising/events planning; worked at the ontario science center; couple summers of research; club exec; entrepreneurship program; independent endeavours....I suppose it was an "interesting" mix of stuff.

Applied: All of Ontario, Dal, Alberta, Sask, UBC

Waitlisted: UBC, U of T

Accepted: UBC (first choice! Funny how things work out)

1st time applicant

IP

Accepted VFMP

cGPA: ~78-79 prereq: 74 last 60: 83-84

MCAT: PS13/VR11/Bio14 R

MSc.

ECs: different things here and there. Had various interests which showed in the things that I took part in.

Sorry for taking so long to post. While applying, I was quite dubious about my chances at getting an acceptance (anywhere) and found some comfort in older posts of successful candidates with similarly lower-range GPA stats. It is still possible, apparently. Will attend UBC.

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, UBC, UCal

Interviews: Queens, UBC, UCal

Accepted: Queens, UBC, UCal

Just got off the wailist. Accepted to VFMP!

OOP

MCAT 30Q

cGPA 3.93

Variety of extra-curriculars including army reserve, research, international volunteering, multiple club execs, language instructor etc.

Trying to decide between UWO and UBC right now. Congratz to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a BC resident finished 3rd year undergrad studies. My GPA was 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample:R

- 3 NSERC USRA's

- Volunteered at hospital, pharmacy, city events.

- Provincial-level track athlete in high school.

Regrets pre-interview at UofT, UOttawa.

Interview at Queens, UBC.

I was waitlisted by Queens, accepted by UBC, Vancouver Campus. This is my first time applying to this school.

UBC is my first choice...yay!

• 10 months later...

Accepted VFMP!!!!

IP

Overall GPA = 84ish

MCAT = 36R

ECs = 7 years full time work as an engineer, 2 years first aid, 2 years residential care volunteering ...

Interview = I thought it went so-so

Congrats to everyone who got accpeted, see you in a few weeks! To people waitlisted, good luck. To everyone who wasn't successful, keep trying!

*Edited to add more information