Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

23 minutes ago, Lmnop96 said:

Result:    Rejected 

Geography: In province

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
Timestamp: 10:35 am PST
AGPA: ~91% 

AQ score 32.1 

NAQ score: 28.5   EC's - had a variety of strong service, leadership, research, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences, Many of the experiences were long-term commitments. 

TFR: 60.6 (above average for interview candidates)
MCAT: 503
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. 2018

I am pretty disappointed with the rejection. I really thought I would have got waitlisted at the minimum as I believed my good interview and above average TFR would outshine the low mcat score. Not to mention I was exceptional in all my science courses in a rigorous science degree with a heavy course-load that definitely demonstrated my proficiency in the sciences. With the process supposed to be holistic, I thought that this would also outweigh the low mcat score but I guess it is back to the drawing board. 

I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to retake the mcat.

I would really appreciate any advice or comments that you guys may have!

Hi Lmnop96,

If it's any consolation, I'm in the exact same boat at you. I got the same TFR score, except switch the AQ and NAQ (my adjusted average was 88%). My interview score was also above average, and I graduated with a BSc from UBC in 2017. I was also an in province candidate and really thought this year was going to be my shot in. 

My MCAT score was 517, but I got a 123 in CARS, so that score was ineligible. They had to use my old MCAT score which was a 501. 

I guess having a holistic file review at UBC is not going to happen, and I am back to the drawing board with rewriting the MCAT again.

49 minutes ago, Lmnop96 said:

Result:    Rejected 

Timestamp: 10:35 am PST
AGPA: ~91% 

AQ score 32.1 

NAQ score: 28.5   EC's - had a variety of strong service, leadership, research, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences, Many of the experiences were long-term commitments. 

TFR: 60.6 (above average for interview candidates)
MCAT: 503
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. 2018

I am pretty disappointed with the rejection. I really thought I would have got waitlisted at the minimum as I believed my good interview and above average TFR would outshine the low mcat score. Not to mention I was exceptional in all my science courses in a rigorous science degree with a heavy course-load that definitely demonstrated my proficiency in the sciences. With the process supposed to be holistic, I thought that this would also outweigh the low mcat score but I guess it is back to the drawing board. 

I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to retake the mcat.

I would really appreciate any advice or comments that you guys may have!

Hi! That rejection must really suck. That being said, there is definitely room for an improved application for next cycle! I don't really agree with you that your TFR is above average, 1 point out of a hundred is not meaningful. The good news is that NAQ is the easiest score to boost simply by getting creative and editing your entries a lot. Think about what makes your life different from other people's and throw that in there. UBC is clear in stating that the Diversity of Experiences category is your chance to showcase unique things about your life. Are you an older sibling? Do you go to a lot of concerts? Do you read a lot of books? Really, include that stuff. If you've had tough times, include those. 

Besides that, you should definitely retake the MCAT - the average accepted score is 514, and the general consensus is that the MCAT is evaluated competitively post-interview. Since you already got to interview, this is a good place to get your application closer to perfection. Holistic also doesn't mean that your statistics don't matter. Of course you want your stellar GPA to matter, so the MCAT matters as well. 

Once again, sorry for the bad news. Many people have setbacks on this path in one way or another, so know you're not alone! Good luck!

My first and last post on this forum. This was my first year applying and my first interview, so I am stunned and ecstatic to be receiving this news!!

Timestamp: 11:57am PST

Accepted VFMP (1st Choice)

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
OGPA: 88.5% (ineligible for AGPA)
MCAT: 513 (128/126/130/129)

Year: Finished BSc in Dec 2018 and convocating this month! 
ECs: 10,000+ hours of competitive violin, 2+ years of volunteer work in long-term care facilities, in the Downtown Eastside, and with a food rescue and redistribution organization. 5 years of lab experience, with a few presentations/pubs under my belt, and various tutoring/mentoring/leadership positions. I'm bilingual (French Immersion grad), did a multidisciplinary degree that integrated computer science, statistics, and physiology, and obtained a Minor in Commerce through Sauder. I filled all remaining spots with my hobbies and interests (travel, painting, literature, etc.), and talked about any experiences that I've had dealing with illness and health in my personal life. Nothing too significant in terms of awards, except for the UBC Trek Excellence Scholarship (top 5% of UBC I believe?).
Geography: IP
Interview: I prepared extensively and felt confident with my performance going in, but felt that I didn't show my full potential in the interview. 1 station was really bad (thank god they drop one!!), the acting station was meh, and all others were good/okay. I've spent the past few months unhealthily dissecting my answers to the point where I was convinced I wouldn't get in. I guess I over-prepared, because what I perceived as an under-performance was clearly sufficient! The most frequent feedback that I received while practicing was that I come off as very personable, so maybe that helped me out. 

The moment I opened that fateful email I burst into tears; I am so excited to start this next chapter!

I'm still waiting to hear from U of T but I'm definitely leaning towards UBC. Can't wait to meet you all in August :)

Timestamp: Aug 6th

May 10th 11am PST (waitlist)

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
OGPA: 91.5% (ineligible for AGPA)
MCAT: 513 (127 CARS)

Year: Graduated BSc in Dec 2018
ECs: varied and long term

Geography: IP

Result: Accepted at IMP (Island Medical Program)  (First choice <3)  I am 99% sure I will accept my offer but I will wait until I hear from Ontario schools in order to make the most informed decision :)

GPA: 93% ish? 
MCAT: 521 (127 CARS)

Year: 4th year BSc
ECs: Diverse and unique, PM or creep my old posts to learn more!
Geography: IP but undergrad in Ontario
Interview: I flew in late the night before, had to run around the student residence desperately looking for an iron and board cause the flight ended up wrinkling up my suit, then realized I forgot to pack my cosmetics and toiletries so I ran to Shoppers Drug Mart to purchase these at 10PM, then realized no food places would be open before 8AM on a Sunday morning on campus so I had to schedule an order for this greasy A&W breakfast on UberEats, then I didn't sleep well because I was woken up by students partying at the residence where I was staying, then at my interview I was a nervous wreck for the first 3 stations and to top it all off I fucking RIPPED MY PANTS while trying to pull them up during the MMI and I just prayed that no one would look at my butt and notice a hole LOL... Moral of the story: prepare everything in advance before an interview, and even if the circumstances aren't ideal, have faith that somehow you will still be able to fake it and make it <3 

Felt I should add my stats in here because I’m super stoked and would want someone like me who was applying to see this...

Accepted, VFMP (1st Choice)

TIME STAMP: 11:56am PST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): ~83
MCAT: 124 in CARS, 513 overall. 

Educational background:

ECs: Not an Olympian. Didn’t have any publications from my Master’s degree until after the June deadline, but some poster presentations. My weak GPA didn’t get me on the Dean’s Honours List. Leadership roles outside of school, and having made connections with people that supported me over many, many years and were so thrilled to be verifiers (and making me cry seeing their genuine excitement when I told them I got in). Honestly, it took a village to raise me and they were all included in my application.

Interview: I worked NUMEROUS hours working with friends, colleagues, anyone who I could find that wanted to spend the time to give me honest feedback to prepare. I wanted the input of non-applicants. I read articles for 5 hours a day to understand what was going on. I listened to podcasts while I worked. I watched the evening news before going to bed. Unfortunately, getting to the interview day and walking up to the first station, it was an out of body experience that I didn’t anticipate and my anxiety got the best of me. I know I had brought enough into the conversations, but it wasn’t at my best — however, I was happy to know that it was enough. Having low grades and a threshold CARS score was really pushing me to prove my worth in the interview and I did (and I’m so proud of that).

The acceptance email comes and the grades no longer matter, the number of times I tried and wrote the MCAT no longer matter, the years of failed and rejected applications no longer matter. I’m looking forward. Forward to a new chapter and new beginning. Getting into medical school is easy for some with the grades and the privileges, however, without those, it’s full of hurdles. Jumping over enough of them will eventually get you to the finish line. One yes is all you need. 

Timestamp: 11:56 am PST

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
OGPA: 94.9%
MCAT: 524 (130/131/131/132)

Year:  3rd year 

ECs: Some leadership within UBC (peer programs and clubs), volunteering with a physiotherapist, income tax volunteer, committee member for community grants, deployed within B.C. with Redcross, working at a neighbourhood house, pharmacy, TA at UBC, tutoring. A lot of my ECs were low hours but going on over 3 years. I also filled a lot of spots with hobbies and activities. I don’t think I had anything spectacular, most of what I put was pretty average. 

Interview: I completely rambled the first station, and felt like didn’t do to well on 2 other stations. There were 2 stations that the interviewer said good job as I was leaving, and the rest I felt were okay. 

I don’t think I’ve fully processed the acceptance yet but I’m super excited and grateful! 

Timestamp: 11:56 AM

Accepted VFMP (first choice)

Early or regular deadline: regular

AGPA: 91%

MCAT: 511 (129/128/128/126)

Year: BSc from 2017 

EC: I worked in a restaurant, taught educational nature classes, and researched/presented in front of doctors to promote nature as a prescribing tool. I volunteered at many different organizations culminating in around 1000 hours, most roles were assisting a demographic and supporting them however I could. LGBTQ+ Member and activist. In high school, I was part of a city junior council. 

Interview: I came out of it not feeling too sure. This was my first interview ever and I felt like the writing station and a few other stations I didn't do well on. I felt like half went well overall

I am so thankful for this opportunity as Ive been working towards this for a while. So excited to meet all of you and explore med school together :)

Result:    Accepted VFMP (1st choice!!!)

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
Timestamp: 11:56 am PST
AGPA: ~87%
MCAT: 516 (129 CARS, 132 Chem/Phys, 129 Psyc/Soc, 126 Bio/Biochem)
Interview: My first station went above average, then I hit two in a row that I completely screwed up. Awkward pauses, saying things I didn't mean etc. Managed to get my feet back under me, and rattled off a string of 7 good to excellent stations afterwards. I didn't use the little notepad at all, and practiced very little (one hour x 3-4 times). I have a lot of experience discussing and debating ethical (and other) issues with friends and family, and I felt like I'd do a better job if I came across as sincere, rather than overly prepared. I actually just had fun on a lot of stations.

Year: BSc. 2019

I'm so happy to receive this acceptance. I have so many people in BC that I want to stay near, and I love this province. It was my third round of applications, having applied after 3rd and 4th year to get an idea of where I was at. Missed interview by 7ish points (if memory serves) after 3rd year, and 0.5 points last year. I can't wait to see you all there next year! :)

Result:    Accepted VFMP (1st choice!!!)

Geography: In province

Timestamp: 11:56 am PST
AGPA: 89%
MCAT: 514 (125 CARS, 129 Chem/Phys, 131 Psyc/Soc, 129 Bio/Biochem)
Interview: Some stations I thought went very well. There were two stations that I thought I could have done better. Overall I had mixed feelings about my performance.

Year: BSc. 2018

Extremely excited to start this journey. This has been my dream for so long, and I am looking forward to seeing you all in August. 

Result:    Accepted - VFMP!!

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: 11:57 AM PST
AGPA: 93%
MCAT: 514 (130/125/130/129)
EC: Feel free to stalk my previous posts for US MD applications :)
Interview: I felt that the interview went very well! Left thinking that even if I had the opportunity, I would not choose to re-do this interview overall, despite some stations being better than others. Of course - don't let my optimism fool you - I thought the same for some of my IP interviews, and they did not lead to acceptances. At the end of the day I consider myself very fortunate for the outcome.
Year: BSc. 2017

I am so grateful for this acceptance, and it came after three application cycles and 3 MCAT writes. Getting here took longer than expected and planned - but that's a part of the process.

If you are a future applicant reading this - the biggest takeaway from my journey is the importance of wording your activities. I feel that it is less about what you have done and more about how you write about them. I would suggest you highlight noteworthy aspects from your activities and to emphasize the physician-related competencies.

If you are a waitlisted or rejected applicant reading this - I feel you. I have accrued countless medical school rejections in the US and Canada up to this point. I am all too familiar with the overanalyzing of interview answers, the uncertain hope after being waitlisted, calculating waitlist movement chances, and the feeling of loss when the rejection finally comes: not knowing what to do next and wondering if you are truly good enough for this. This acceptance is for you. Persistence can achieve remarkable results.

And if you are my future classmate - it is my absolute honour to become a physician alongside you. I look very much forward to meeting you!

Result:    Accepted : )

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
AGPA: 93%
MCAT: 520
EC:  Research 3+ years with department head, volunteering at various homeless shelters/church youth group leader/big brother etc, employment for the past few years after graduating,, advocacy for single parent financial support (mainly for low-income housing) 
Interview: I took one of those MMI prep programs. EXTREMELY expensive, but paid off IMO. This is my 3rd time doing MMI. Did very very poorly for my first 2 times but the course paid off.

Can't wait to meet y'all

A little late because I'm abroad for research but....

First time applicant 

TIME STAMP: 11:56 PST, May 10 2019
RESULT: ACCEPTED VFMP (1st choice)
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): about 85%; converted badly from my school but what can you do:wacko:
MCAT: 509
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Third year undergrad in Biomedical Sciences (honours)
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Nothing overly special? Worked in a lab for last summer (1 pub, 2 presentations (2nd author) but all after June 1st), Co-led a volunteer trip to work with Indigenous communities in the Yukon, worked at a program promoting post-secondary edu to Indigenous youth, campus tour guide, vice president and later president of two different clubs, then I put in some hobbies and other personal life events (DM for details). To be honest, a lot has changed in my life since completely the application so it's really hard to remember exactly what I put (ie, I'm also involved in student government now and I can't remember what it was like before then but that's not on there (RIP to all the people who interviewed at UofC while my face was plastered all over the campus)). 

Interview: Honestly, I walked out thinking I had bombed one station, was iffy about a few, and felt good (well, relatively) about the rest I suppose. But then I overanalyzed everything and thought I bombed it all. To prep, I really just got more experience talking to different people (see EC's), worked through a lot of the practice ones online and just thought about things I guess? I never truly formally practiced, more just talked to parents and friends a bit. In all honesty, I spent maybe 8 hours max prepping so I really don't understand the result

Overall, I'm definitely still in shock. I keep thinking "oh yeah, when I'm applying next year I have to do xyz" and then remembering I'm not applying again next year is super weird. I honestly started the process with little to no hope for this cycle, and was aiming for at best maybe one interview. Needless to say, I'm really grateful for the results. I'm still not sure what my plan is, Calgary was my first choice but now I'm flip flopping and I'm really not sure if I should bother staying on the waitlist. I'm sort of leaning towards UBC though.

To everyone who didn't get the news they wanted, it's truly UBC's loss. You all are fantastic individuals and you're going to go on to do amazing things. Everything happens for a reason. All the best in the future <3 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, justtryingtosurvive said:

A little late because I'm abroad for research but....

First time applicant 

TIME STAMP: 11:56 PST, May 10 2019
RESULT: ACCEPTED VFMP (1st choice)
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): about 85%; converted badly from my school but what can you do:wacko:
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Third year undergrad in Biomedical Sciences (honours)
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Nothing overly special? Worked in a lab for last summer (1 pub, 2 presentations (2nd author) but all after June 1st), Co-led a volunteer trip to work with Indigenous communities in the Yukon, worked at a program promoting post-secondary edu to Indigenous youth, campus tour guide, vice president and later president of two different clubs, then I put in some hobbies and other personal life events (DM for details). To be honest, a lot has changed in my life since completely the application so it's really hard to remember exactly what I put (ie, I'm also involved in student government now and I can't remember what it was like before then but that's not on there (RIP to all the people who interviewed at UofC while my face was plastered all over the campus)). 

Interview: Honestly, I walked out thinking I had bombed one station, was iffy about a few, and felt good (well, relatively) about the rest I suppose. But then I overanalyzed everything and thought I bombed it all. To prep, I really just got more experience talking to different people (see EC's), worked through a lot of the practice ones online and just thought about things I guess? I never truly formally practiced, more just talked to parents and friends a bit. In all honesty, I spent maybe 8 hours max prepping so I really don't understand the result

Overall, I'm definitely still in shock. I keep thinking "oh yeah, when I'm applying next year I have to do xyz" and then remembering I'm not applying again next year is super weird. I honestly started the process with little to no hope for this cycle, and was aiming for at best maybe one interview. Needless to say, I'm really grateful for the results. I'm still not sure what my plan is, Calgary was my first choice but now I'm flip flopping and I'm really not sure if I should bother staying on the waitlist. I'm sort of leaning towards UBC though.

To everyone who didn't get the news they wanted, it's truly UBC's loss. You all are fantastic individuals and you're going to go on to do amazing things. Everything happens for a reason. All the best in the future <3 

What do you mean by "converted badly from my school"?

Timestamp: May 27th 3:43PM EST (Off Wait-List)

AGPA: ~91%
MCAT: 509 (126/125/139/129)

Year: Finished BMSc in June 2018, Currently in one year course based masters!
ECs: Extensive
Interview: Honestly felt good walking out of it! A few stations felt awful though!

Very very honoured to receive an offer, however I will be declining for U of T! For those with low MCAT scores as an OOP student, still apply! I thought it would really hold me back, but clearly not! 

Timestamp: May 10th 11:18am

Accepted NMP (1st Choice)

AGPA: 85% (did submit medical for one yr so not sure if approved or not)
MCAT: 510

Year: Finished Biochem (Hon) 2012 MHA 2015
ECs: Extensive - older student - did some international volunteering, on the board of directors for CCHL, 500+ yrs in hospital, President of WarChild UVic, UVic Alumni. Full career working for Doctors of BC - practice support coach and regional advocate.
Interview: Was super fun! I did practice a lot just to make sure that I took some pauses. I also worked through some tough topics I would consider "triggers" just to make sure I could respond calmly and rationally. I do a lot of presentations to physicians in my current role which I think helped.

Overall, was a rollercoaster of emotions going through this process. Back in 2012 I had contacted UBC regarding applying to med based on a heart arrhythmia. How I was treated then was awful and I lost all confidence in applying. I honestly also hated physicians for a really long time as well (bit ironic that since then I have only worked with them). Finally after a serious break up and some encouragement for physicians I work with I decided to try. I wrote the MCAT while working 60+ hrs a week and applied for schools. I am shocked I got in but very grateful for this privilege. I am also grateful now to UBC for the experience years ago. I am a better person and applicant. I now have 7 years of healthcare knowledge and systems transformation plus leadership experience which I am confident will make me a better physician. For those that had rejections keep trying! Do a Masters, explore a career, join toastmasters. It's never too late apply!

Timestamp: May 27 3:43 pm EST (Off Wait-List)

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Early or regular deadline: Regular

AGPA: 86.11%

MCAT: 509 (127/125/129/128)

Year: Graduating June 2019

ECs: Extensive, no publications, international level sport, and much more (you can message me for more info). My NAQ score must have been decent since my average as an OOP wasn’t that high.

Interview: originally thought it went well but after 3 months, I convinced myself it was terrible!! 

First application to ubc and thrilled to have an acceptance! 

• 3 weeks later...

A little late but posting this in hopes that it can be of help!

Timestamp: June 4th 10:47AM PST (off waitlist)

Result: Accepted VFMP

OGPA: ~87.6%

Year: BSc 2018
ECs: Pretty standard I'd say: hospital volunteering, research (no pubs), study abroad, schools clubs, undergrad TA, but I think what helped most was adding hobbies and personal interests :)
Interview: Though I enjoyed the experience, I felt really on the fence about the strength of my answers. Some stations were good, some were just okay, all kind of a blur at this point! Overall, I just tried to be myself, answer honestly, and have fun!

Very honoured to receive this acceptance. If you're still waiting to hear back or did not receive the news you were hoping for this cycle, don't give up! I'm sure you've heard this before, but it's not a matter of "if" but "when" :) 

• 1 month later...

*Updated Aug 19

Result: Rejected (Waitlisted until Aug 19)

Early or Regular: Regular

AQ: 24

NAQ: 36

TFR: 60

OGPA: 86%

MCAT: 509 (125/126/130/128 5wks study, no prep course)

Year: BHK (Human Kinetics) 2017

ECs: Random: university/elite athletics, LGBTQ+ advocacy, adventures, family member with disabilities... Volunteer: varied opportunities and initiatives, extensive youth coaching, rehabilitation clinic abroad... Work: respite care for seniors, pro ski patrol, private kinesiology, undergrad tutoring and other random work experience... no research

Interview: Average. I felt like I aced two and bombed one. I enjoyed the whole day but found myself thinking of things I should have/could have said for months after... literally at the weirdest times, still happens once in a while. This was my first MMI, I didn't take any courses or do any group practices (did a few questions with a couple current med student friends on skype) but will definitely be better prepared if I have another opportunity to interview.

Congratulations to all who have been offered the privilege to study medicine and serve as a physician in the future - I wish you all the best - knowing how strong the competition is and what quality human beings make up the UBC med classes eases the sting of individual disappointment. Good luck to all the other regrets/waitlist/hopefuls who are also sitting indoors trying to cram some of their most meaningful life experiences into severely limited character boxes while sunny days and adventures beckon. 

Edited by lankytank
Waitlist ended on the first day of classes

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Result:    Regrets After Interview

Geography: In province

Timestamp: 7:04 am PST
AGPA: ~84.7 %

NAQ score: 75th -100th Percentile

EC's - I feel like this was the strength of my application. I have a variety of strong service, leadership, hospital experience, awards, research with over 10 publications, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences. Almost all of my experiences were long-term commitments. 

MCAT: 501 
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. with Honors 2018

Does anyone have any advice for me? It looks like the MCAT was a red flag for my application and I'm not sure what help going back to school to boost my GPA would been. I've seen one or two similar stories of rejection in the past on the forum. Feeling pretty bummed but hopeful if I can retake the MCAT and do well.

ResultWaitlisted

Timestamp: 7:58am (BC time)
AGPA: ~90%

ECs: employment (20+ hours per week during university), lab work (15+ hours a week for honours), volunteering for Canadian Blood Services (~5 hours per week), humanitarian trip to Africa, 3 month language exchange, founder of Spoon University at my home university, care for my brother and grandmother (both have mental illnesses), volunteering at university (10+ hours per week)...

MCAT: 505 (I know this pulled me down)

Interview: felt really good

Year: 4th (B.A. & Sc. Honours 2020)

30 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

you had an above average interview, high NAQ, and reasonable GPA for IP, great job! I'm fairly certain that the sole reason for your decision was your MCAT unfortunately. I feel if it was 507+ you would have been good..since there have been people that have gotten in with 507 confirmed, so I would assume 507+ with your credentials should be enough.  Aim for a 508 at least, you can do it, good luck!!

Thanks very much!