Premed 101 Forums

ENGL 301

Guest Dunes

Guest Dunes

Hey guys,

I am planning to take English 301 (Techinical Writing) this summer and I was wondering if anyone has taken this course before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Dunes

Guest TKP 123

Although I have never taken this course, I heard that many professional degrees such as pharmacy require this course. Some of my friends took it, and they said it could be a bit challenging for people whose strength is not English.

Yet, you may be able to do well.

Guest canuck1

Hi Dunes,

I took it in Summer of '99 and got an A-. It must not have been too bad, since I was not even contemplating medicine at that point and was not quite as motivated as I am now :) From what I recall though, it was easier than first year English classes at UBC. I'm sure you'll do fine if writing isn't an issue for you. Business/Technical writing is quite a bit different than say an Arts paper, but it's not hard.

Oh.... English 301 - my nemesis. . .

Thing is this, this course and its numeric outcome is unfortunately dependent on the professors who teach it. I took it in pharm school as a requirement, and thought it would be a gpa booster, it ended up being my second lowest mark on my transcript. My colleagues, in the same semester ended up with A-'s and the like. I haven't had problems in english courses, and was even recommended into honours english by my first year professors. . . I only say this to try to illustrate that this is an instructor dependent course, a shame, but true. If you know who is teaching it, you may want to discuss the 'ease' of the instructor, either here or wherever.

So I guess I haven't really answered your question, but that's because of the nature of this course. It's not standardized, and the expectations of each instructor is different, and noe always outlined.

The classmates that did the best had professors that had more 'tests' as opposed to 'projects' and 'assignments'. My class was all hand-in assignments, couple that with a subjective marking scheme that is not clearly outlined for the students, made for some very disheartened students.

Phew. . . it's been a long time since that course, but I needed to get that off my chest. Best of luck to you. This course isn't one to hold you back from medicine, so don't be scared of it!!! You can kick it's be-hind, and redeem it for many students past. . . :-)

Guest 604EL

I cannot agree with Zen more. It's a gamble unless you know who's teaching. I have the exact opposite experience as Zen. I'm a total fob, but I ended up with a pretty good mark cuz the prof I had was super easy, too bad she's not teaching it no more.

oh wow, another past Rx grad? When did you grad Zen?

Guest Dunes

Thanks guys for the help :) Sorry for the bad experience you had Zen..I hope my prof is not bad because english is my second language..haha. I think the instructor is Nicole Mirante. If anyone knows about her please let me know :)

I am trying to take an english course this summer to off-set my bad first year english marks which I did 8 years ago (I was told if I did a higher level english they might not look at the prereq. english too much). Thats why I want to take it in the summer...I am planning on taking 2 more courses (IHHS 400 : Health Care team development) and (ADHE 327: Teaching Adults) which is useful for my work. Did anyone take any of these other 2 let me know :)

Really, thanks guys for the help. This board is so helpful! :)

Guest Jochi1543

Dunes (and others asking about courses), I just wanted to say that there's a site called RateMyProfessor.com (for Canada it's http://www.ratemyprofessor.com/canada), it allows you to add and rate professors at your school, and you can read other people's ratings as well. It's a very helpful site, and I recommend that you rate all your profs every year so that someone could benefit from your information in the future. It is quite possible that the instructors you are inquiring about are already there.:D

Archived