Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest lsaville

Hi everyone!

I'm a resident of Ontario. I finished my honours degree in Immunology/Microbiology and have been working for two years as a research technician. My GPA was 3.82.

I have 3 years of research experience, published a paper and presented my research at many conferences. I have volunteered for 12 years in two different concert bands, for 1 year as a respite caregiver to a patient with Althiemers Disease and for 1 year providing speech therapy to children with developmental disorders/delays. I am involved in sports, fitness, and have many different interests.

I am on Ottawa's good waitlist. This is my second time applying to this school.

I was also accepted into the Speech Pathology program but if Ottawa calls me, I will accept.

Guest jendip

I'm a Nova Scotia resident in third year of a BScH Biology degree. My GPA was 3.96

I was accepted by Ottawa. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of Ottawa as my first choice.

Guest novacanuck

I'm a Nova Scotia resident with a BSc in Biology. My GPA was 3.9/4.0

Verbal 9

Biology 10

Chemistry 10

Writing P

I was bad listed by Ottawa...I found out yesterday...My first choice is a toss between Ottawa and Dalhousie.

Post Interview Impression: I thought it went quite well comparative to other interviews I've had in the past.

BEST OF LUCK ALL

Guest aimg1

I'm a Ontario resident in who just finished an undergrad Engineering degree. My GPA was 3.98 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 7

Biological Sciences: 9

Written Sample: O

I was bad waitlisted by Ottawa. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Ottawa U as my first choice. I also applied to McMaster where I was secondary waitlisted.

Guest GordUW

Just mailed out acceptance to U of T. Im giving up my spot on the "good waitlist" at Ottawa U. It was a tough decision but at the end reputation and living close to home prevailed.

WGPA 3.87, MCAT 34Q, 3 yrs undergrad, some research

Good luck to people on the good waitlist and bad waitlist as well, im sure there are many people giving up their offers or waitlist spots.

To Mayflower, if you happen to read this, i wish u the best luck.

Guest lsaville

I just wanted to update my last post here.

As I said before...

I'm a resident of Ontario. I finished my honours degree in Immunology/Microbiology and have been working for two years as a research technician. My GPA was 3.82.

I have 3 years of research experience, published a paper and presented my research at many conferences. I have volunteered for 12 years in two different concert bands, for 1 year as a respite caregiver to a patient with Alzheimers Disease and for 1 year providing speech therapy to children with developmental disorders/delays. I am involved in sports, fitness, and have many different interests.

I have applied to Ottawa's medschool twice. I was *bad* waitlisted the first time and *good* waitlisted the second time.

My impression of the interview: It is very difficult to read into how the interview actually went since one professional played the *good cop* (always smiling and nodding) and the other played the *bad cop* (always frowning and challenging my responses). In my first interview, I was myself though my nerves were apparent. I had difficulty steering the direction of the interview through my answers and, as a result, I was challenged quite a bit. For the second interview, I refined my answers a little and practiced a lot. The style of the interview was the same (good vs bad cop), they challenged me just as much, but I always remained calm and collected.

I was accepted into medschool at Ottawa U today, only half a day after the decisions for initial offers were due. I must have been at the top of the waitlist so my second interview must have gone much better than the first one.

I will be accepting Ottawa's offer even though I was also accepted into the Speech Pathology program at Western (this is a great program to consider for those of you who want to do clinical work!).

I hope this helps everyone! Good luck to you of all.

- lsaville

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shahenshah

hello all..I've been away the last few months and would just like to update everyone that yes I will be joining UofO for september..

stats:

wGPA: 3.98

interview impression: I thought it was fair - most questions were focused on my autobiographical sketch..the interviewers were extremely friendly and so that definitely helped.

btw I am in-province and just finished my B.Sc. Hon physical sciences..this was my first time applying

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wassabi101

Hi!

I'm a Quebec resident with an undergrad in Microbiology and Immunology/Sociology and a Master's in Epidemiology and Biostatistics. My GPA was 3.3 during undergrad and 3.96 during graduate school.

I have lots of research publications and research experience here and abroad. I'm an avid dancer and musician. Also... I'm really nice and completely normal :b

I was waitlisted by Ottawa and then accepted on the 12th of June. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Ottawa as my first choice.

Cheers!

-wassabi

• 10 months later...
Guest conrad78

I'm a Nova Scotia resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: 8

Written Sample: n

I was accepted by Ottawa (and I also received the "mistake email"). This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dalhousie as my first choice.

Guest PaniDoktor

Hello!

I'm an Ontario resident that just graduated from Biopharmaceutical Science at UofO.

GPA: 3.98/4.00

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: R

Feeling from Ottawa interview (I'm adding a new category): it went OK. Not my best experinece and quite a few questions stumped me, but the interviewers were friendly and welcoming.

I was accepted by Ottawa. This is my first time applying to medical school and I am absolutely thrilled. It hasn't sunk in yet.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Western as my first choice. However, if Ottawa is my only acceptance, I will be extatic to attend there as well.

Guest Adamanda

I was accepted by Ottawa :) . I am masters student in Clinical Engineering. Did BSc in Bio-engineering.

My overall GPA was 3.47

Weighted GPA ~3.9

MCAT 10B 9P 11V Q

I am so excited to have been accepted! Ottawa is my second choice to U of T. I think it is a fabulous city and was impressed with the interview session tours.

For those curious, I received the mistake email earlier this month.

Guest MDSMelissa

I'm an Ontario resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.86 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: O

I think I'd like to attend Queen's as my first choice, with Ottawa as a close second.

Guest mdhopeful23

accepted to ottawa :D

mcat: 9PS (soooo hard), 9VR, R, 10BS (2nd time writing)

gpa: 3.87. (ottawa weighted: 3.96)

lots of extracurric's.

tough interview, but felt good afterwards.

this is my second time applying. first time interviewing. ottawa is at the top of my list. if im accepted to western as well, then i will have to carefully ponder between the two...

again, congrats to everyone else who got an email today!!

Guest hacker

I'm an Ontario resident. My WGPA was 3.91

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Ottawa's Med School as my first choice.

edit: I'm in Undergrad, just finished 3rd year.

Guest deamd

I'm an Ontario resident in undergraduate studies. Have also done a previous undergraduate and graduate degree (Speech-Language Pathology), and worked for 4 years as an S-LP. My GPA was 3.54, but really about 3.8 with elimination of one year in which I completely failed, and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Biological Sciences: 12

I was accepted by Ottawa (and did receive the previous email). This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend either UWO or UBC Med School as my first choice, but am very pleased to be accepted by anyone!! I did not think I would even get interviews!!!.

Good luck everyone and hang in there! Sounds like there will be a lot of movement of the waiting list.

Dea

;)

Guest Bleepo

I'm an Ontario resident just finishing my B.Ed. at UT. I completed a 4 year B.Sc. last year at UW.

GPA: 3.96

MCAT:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: N

Interview experience: Thought I did better than last year, but didn't think it would get me accepted (maybe waitlisted tho). There were some tough questions and I faltered a few times, so I am quite shocked but ecstatic none the less! The interviewers were extremely friendly.

I was accepted by Ottawa (and also received the "fake" email). This is my second time applying.

I was also accepted by UBC. I'm still waiting to hear from UT. Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UT as my first choice. But I'll gladly go to UBC or Ottawa... not quite sure which one I prefer more tho ... need to do some serious thinking.

Guest drbutterwick

I'm a Ontario resident in Kin @ UWO. My GPA was 3.9 something and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: Let's just leave that out

Written Sample: P

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Ottawa as my first choice.

Guest Ticket

I graduated in 2000 with a B.Sc. in Physics. My GPA was 3.91/4.00. My (3rd) MCAT scores were:

Biological Sciences: 10

I was accepted by Ottawa. This is my first year applying to medical school.

My Ottawa interview went the poorest of five interviews, and I was unimpressed with my visit there (although very impressed with the admissions staff).

I have chosen to attend a school outside of Ontario. I keep hearing good things about Ottawa Med School, but after my interview day, I had to rank them last on my preference list.

Guest jgrad

I just finished my undergrad journalism degree and was accepted by U of O!

WGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 9PS 10BS 11VR Q

I had a really positive interview experience.

This is my first year applying. I'm still waiting to hear from Western, but am almost 100% positive I'll be accepting Ottawa.

(I also received the traumatic fake e-mail earlier this month)

congrats to everyone, and I look forward to meeting you in the fall!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just received my "bad" waitlist letter from Ottawa. (Just goes to show you how much nerves can scuttle an interview. Phwooo. :o ) This was my second time applying to this school, and the first time interviewed.

I believe my WGPA came out to be 3.82.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

I'm an Alberta resident with a BScN (nursing). This was my first time applying to Ottawa and I was rejected pre-interview.

CGPA: 3.79

MCAT: 32R

PS: 9

VR: 10

BS: 13

(guess I should have posted this earlier in the year when I got my rejection letter...)

I'm an Ontario resident with a H. BSc (bio). My OMSAS GPA was 3.89 (not sure what my Ottawa GPA was). I was good waitlisted at Ottawa, and am keeping my fingers crossed!