Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

Here's a quick questionnaire regarding the admissions process at Manitoba. We ran this questionnaire last year, and I'd like to keep it going on an annual basis so we can generate some profiles of applicants who have been accepted, rejected, or placed on a waitlist for each school. If you are applying this year, please take a few minutes to fill out the below questions. :)

Please keep all replies focussed as answers to the below; I will delete any non-answers in this thread. If you have any questions, please start a new thread so that this one stays on topic. Please check out the big thread in the General Premed Forum as well to let us know which schools accepted you, and which ones waitlisted you or rejected you: pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=648.topic

If you can copy and paste the below form, and fill it out, that'd be awesome. If you want to contribute your GPA and MCAT stats in addition, that's great too. :)

------

I'm a (Province) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies. My GPA was (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) by Manitoba. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

------

Ian

I'm a Out of Province resident in undergraduate studies.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Western, Queens and Manitoba Med School as my first choice.

Stats: MCAT 10-13-13-Q

AGPA: 4.45/4.5 (3.94 on Ontario scale)

Guest brandonite

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This was my first time applying to the school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Duke as my first choice, but they rejected me post-interview. Manitoba is my second choice.

Stats: MCAT 13/15 - 13 - 12 - Q

AGPA: 4.35/4.5 on the Manitoba scale

Guest OT girl

I'm a Manitoba resident and I completed at Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend the University of Manitoba as my first choice.

Stats: MCAT 13/15 - 13 - 13 - Q

AGPA: 4.2/4.5 on the Manitoba scale

• 1 year later...
Guest MDSMelissa

I'm an Ontario resident just (December) finished my undergraduate degree in Health Sciences at Brock University. My GPA was (3.89) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (O)

I was rejected by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

When I emailed the admissions office to find out why, I was given the response "The English course you took is not given credit by our English Department." I am very frustrated with this response as I have taken a full year, first year English credit (ENGL 1F99) at Brock University. I am still confused as to what the problem was with this credit. If a specific English credit was required (ie Literature, Writing, etc.) shouldn't this have been stated?

• 1 year later...
Guest quackerg

I'm a Manitoba resident with a B.A. from U ofM. My aGPA was (~4.1/4.5) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (9)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my second time applying to this school.

I'm homeward bound...see you all in August. I'll be the dude at the orientation not wearing any pants...

Guest TravellingMD

I'm a Manitoba resident, with a B.Sc and a B.A from UofM

My AGPA was 4.08

My MCAT Score was 32Q (I can't remember the breakdown, and am too lazy to look it up)

Heaps of extracurriculars/experience.

I was offered a place at UofM (early acceptance), and have accepted the offer.

This is my first time applying to this or any school.

Guest Mooshme

Manitoba resident, 2nd time applying..

Undergrad: BSc, Chem

Current Grad Student (pharmacology and therapeutics)

MCAT: 28 R

AGPA: 3.7

I was offered regular acceptance and have accepted. I think the interview was the "hinge factor" in my acceptance since I wouldn't consider my stats all that impressive... Looking forward to seeing you all in the fall!!

Guest premed777

mcat: 31R

agpa: i think about 3.9

hundreds of hours of volunteer experience, and research experience.

in province, rejected post interview.

I feel VERY disappointed right now,because i thought i had a good chance to at least get on the waiting list. I felt like my interview went well too...so i'm kind of at a loss for words.

good luck to all you guys who got it!!!

cheers

Manitoba resident. 3 year BSc. with a major in biochemistry from U of W graduating this year.

Physical 10, Verbal 7, Bio 10, WS Q to make 27Q for MCAT.

aGPA on University of Manitoba's scale of 4.06

I was accepted at U of M for regular admission. This is the only school I applied to and my first time applying for medical school. U of M was my first choice. See you guys in the fall!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Don Corleone

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.80 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was initially waitlisted, but have now been accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, the University of Manitoba was my first choice.

DC

• 10 months later...
Guest happy2bme

Accepted

I'm a Calgary resident. My GPA was for my first degreed was around 3.0ish, worst year 2.65 and my second degree 3.8ish, best year 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: N- seriously, but look at my posts and my lack of sentence structure is obvious.

I was accepted by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school. I loved the MMI!!!

I applied to Uof C and Manitoba schools.

I was also accepted today by UofManitoba, it was my first time applying to that school. Please note that I am also considered Inprov for manitoba because I graduated highschool there.

Of all the schools I applied to, I WILL attend Calgary as my first choice.

As a side note I am an older applicant(32) with healthcare experience and a family

Guest sunE

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 4.2-ish and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 10

written sample: R

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my 2nd time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of Manitoba as my first and only choice.

Acceptance received: May 15, 2006 - 11:20am

I have a feeling I'm going to be saying something along these lines to alcoholics anonymous soon....

Hi my name is ..... It all started when I found out I got into medical school....

Guest winter

I'm an Ontario resident and my GPA was ~3.5 (OMSAS) - AGPA ~3.95 - and my MCAT score was 37R.

I was accepted by Manitoba and I'll be there in August.

Cheers!

Guest rochon

Hey,

Thought I'd post and give people hope that didn't get anything yesterday. I got my acceptance today(tuesday) in the mail.

I'm from manitoba, I went to U of W and my AGPA was somehwhere around 4.3, but I don't know exactly. This was my first time applying to medical school. My MCAT score was 36P.

Good luck to everyone else.

André

Guest TallSmileyDude

I was accepted as a 4th year OOP Alberta Resident who just finished my BSc.

AGPA: Roughly 3.9

MCAT: PS 15 VR 10 BS 13 WS Q

Accepted at: UofA UofM

Waitlisted at: UofC, Queens, Western

As of now i will be accepting the position at UofA unless I am accepted off the waitlist at Queens or Western in the near future. So i will not be taking this UofM spot and another OOP spot will open up.

Guest winter

I only wish I meant it on the OMSAS scale...

~3.5 OMSAS (cumulative)

~3.7 AGPA on the OMSAS scale (drop the same 30 units as I would for U of M)

~3.95 AGPA on the U of M scale

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NRC boy

BOOYAH BABY NRC BOY IS IN!

So here are my sexy stats (actually they arent really sexy at all)

I'm a Manitoba resident from the Univeristy of Winnipeg. I have a 3 year B.Sc. majoring in Biochem. My AGPA is 4.20 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (O)

- Technical Officer at the National Research Council.

- Coordinator/Developer of the Rural Manitoba Health Mentorship Program

- Summer Volunteer Coordinator at Seven Oaks General Hospital

- Lots of other EC's and various sports

- I like long walks on the beach with sexy ladies, lol

This is my second time applying. Manitoba was my first and only choice since no other schools would give me an interview.

I'll see you all in August!!!!

Reunited with SunE and Jag, ewwwwwwwww. :D

Guest littlebuster

I'm a Manitoba resident, just got my 3 yr BSc. 4.38 GPA

VR: 11

PS: 12

BS: 12

WS: O

Few years of heavy duty volunteering, few years working in a hospital, a few other non-medical ECs

I was accepted by Manitoba, first time applying. Acceptance came via email (??) today. Manitoba is my first choice

Guest VS12

I was waitlisted (bottom third)! which basically means, i'll have to apply again next year.

28Q MCAT

3.8ish aGPA

some random ECs and stuff. nothing to write home about.

I guess I'm gonna have to retake that damn 'cat again.

blehhhhhhh... it's a good thing i prepared myself for this.

good luck everyone else.

Guest UW21

I just finished my third year of biochem at the u of W. This is my first time applying to medical school and I was accepted at the u of m on tuesday!!! See you in august!!!:rollin