Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

45 minutes ago, UMANITOBAMED2025 said:

I am not going to post the email don't want to Dox myself but what I did may not have made the most sense as I was sleepy

1 - UofM is going to expand the class cohort to 125, but the decision to increase the class size only came out after they sent out interview invites.

2 - The college does not want to be in any position where it does not fulfill its entire class.

3 - Thus, what happens is they offer to send out 110 (which is the present class size), with a large waitlist.

4 - As always happens, there will be a fair bit of movement across the waitlist 

5 - you have to assume after the waitlist position, there may be around 5-6 (as the waitlist is only 20 students long) students on (However a lot of these students may have already accepted offers at other schools and paid the deposit so they're more likely to decline). This is why the school has a waitlist of many more students this year to make this number significantly higher and from there they'll accept the top 15 students.

6 - Typically, the waitlist slows down around June, which is when they will offer the following 15 seats. 

So its position is that this year the waitlist has been expanded to the top 130  students. 

Again, I cant confirm how long the waitlist is this year but its likely 40 plus seats (so double)

Man i hope this is true lmao. Don’t give me to much hope :lol:

I am 2nd tier on the waitlist this year. As per the expanded seating capacity, whether or not the additional 15 seats have been filled already or they are waiting to offer them to people on the waitlist, I would expect there to be more people that they are holding in reserve on the waitlist to fill the potentially increased number of spots that could open up. So this is good news for all us hoping to get in! Should be a busy 4 weeks ahead for us, stay active in the chat if u hear anything! 

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Waitlisted, 2nd Tier

In Province (IP)/ Out of Province (OOP): IP

AGPA (x.xx/4.5): 4.15 (4th Quintile)

MCAT (xx.xx/528): 519 (1st Quintile)

CASPer: 2nd Quartile (4th Quintile)

MMI: 4th Quintile

Rural/Non-Rural:  None

Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): None

SES: Several

Guys, the reason that Admissions had to send out invites without announcing the 125 class size increase is because it has not been approved yet. They can't offer to 125 because the new class size doesn't exist yet. They have to use the 110 class size until told otherwise. 

The provincial government announced the extra seats (for basically all Health Science programs) before anything was finalized or approved within the UofM. 

I've read the senate minutes for everyone. Basically, what it boils down to the delay in approval is: funding. 

From the April 5 Senate minutes "Accordingly, implementation will only be approved following approval by the Province and securement of the additional provincial funding needed to support the expansions." 

The hold up is with the provincial government. They want the extra seats, but don't want to pay up.

1 hour ago, UMmmMed said:

Guys, the reason that Admissions had to send out invites without announcing the 125 class size increase is because it has not been approved yet. They can't offer to 125 because the new class size doesn't exist yet. They have to use the 110 class size until told otherwise. 

The provincial government announced the extra seats (for basically all Health Science programs) before anything was finalized or approved within the UofM. 

I've read the senate minutes for everyone. Basically, what it boils down to the delay in approval is: funding. 

From the April 5 Senate minutes "Accordingly, implementation will only be approved following approval by the Province and securement of the additional provincial funding needed to support the expansions." 

The hold up is with the provincial government. They want the extra seats, but don't want to pay up.

Thanks for letting us know this. All very interesting. Is there a follow up senate meeting in May on this topic? 

So this is my hypothesis for how things are this year: 

B/c of the aforementioned funding struggle wrt med seats, the waitlist has been expanded relative to previous years (this would explain the 7 tier 2 people compared to previous years). 

In turn, if the funding is approved, basically everybody on tier 1, and a good portion of tier 2 should be accepted immediately. 

But maybe that's just copium b/c I h8 the w8 lol. 

12 minutes ago, guanm said:

So this is my hypothesis for how things are this year: 

B/c of the aforementioned funding struggle wrt med seats, the waitlist has been expanded relative to previous years (this would explain the 7 tier 2 people compared to previous years). 

In turn, if the funding is approved, basically everybody on tier 1, and a good portion of tier 2 should be accepted immediately. 

But maybe that's just copium b/c I h8 the w8 lol. 

I did a recount. There’s 8 of us now!! Does that mean there’s 8 tier 1s too? I am surprised there hasn’t been more people posting from T1. 

I’ve decided I have been ruminating this to a clinically abnormal amount lol 

I rmbr reading on weddit that a MS at UofM said that the number of ppl on T1 is less than T2, which is less than T3, which would be in line with observed data (I think we have like 2 T1 ppl, and 8 T2s), and also just makes sense from a logical perspective. 

Complete speculation: if i had to guess (5ppl T1, 10ppl T2, idk for T3). 

1 minute ago, guanm said:

I rmbr reading on weddit that a MS at UofM said that the number of ppl on T1 is less than T2, which is less than T3, which would be in line with observed data (I think we have like 2 T1 ppl, and 8 T2s), and also just makes sense from a logical perspective. 

Complete speculation: if i had to guess (5ppl T1, 10ppl T2, idk for T3). 

I saw that comment. Perhaps you’re right. I hope this is the case! You’d think more 3T would be posting but I guess not everyone is comfortable posting 

16 hours ago, snorlax88 said:

Thanks for letting us know this. All very interesting. Is there a follow up senate meeting in May on this topic? 

It shows May 17 on the Senate minutes page, so there must be one tomorrow. Hopefully they will finally make a decision. The next one is June 21 and that's getting pretty late.

12 minutes ago, UMmmMed said:

It shows May 17 on the Senate minutes page, so there must be one tomorrow. Hopefully they will finally make a decision. The next one is June 21 and that's getting pretty late.

Thanks for the update! Do they usually post the minutes shortly thereafter? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, UMANITOBAMED2025 said:

I am not going to post the email don't want to Dox myself but what I did may not have made the most sense as I was sleepy

1 - UofM is going to expand the class cohort to 125, but the decision to increase the class size only came out after they sent out interview invites.

2 - The college does not want to be in any position where it does not fulfill its entire class.

3 - Thus, what happens is they offer to send out 110 (which is the present class size), with a large waitlist.

4 - As always happens, there will be a fair bit of movement across the waitlist 

5 - you have to assume after the waitlist position, there may be around 5-6 (as the waitlist is only 20 students long) students on (However a lot of these students may have already accepted offers at other schools and paid the deposit so they're more likely to decline). This is why the school has a waitlist of many more students this year to make this number significantly higher and from there they'll accept the top 15 students.

6 - Typically, the waitlist slows down around June, which is when they will offer the following 15 seats. 

So its position is that this year the waitlist has been expanded to the top 130  students. 

Again, I cant confirm how long the waitlist is this year but its likely 40 plus seats (so double)

Everything you have predicted has been correct! Lol hopefully we hear some news really soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...