Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I am a Manitoba resident with a B.A. (Hon) from U of W.

My MCAT scores were:

Biological: 8

Physical: 7

Verbal: 10

WS: T

My AGPA is 3.99

Lots of volunteer/board experience, interview went well (helped offset my mediocre scores, I'm assuming).

Was given an early offer and I have accepted.

Applied once to McMaster in 2003 - nothing came of that. This is my first time applying to U of M.

Hey all,

Just got my letter in the mail this morning and I have been put in the 2nd quartile of the waitlist (I guess they're splitting them into quartiles this year, I always thought it was thirds).

My stats are:

MCAT: 32P

Physical: 10

Verbal: 9

Bio: 13

Writing: P

AGPA: 4.0

This is my second year applying to Manitoba (was fully rejected last year). Good luck to all of you and I hope to see you in the fall! Now more waiting for me.....ugh...lol.

sorry, forgot to add EC's....quite a few (sports, piano, etc), plus worked at Cadham lab for 4 summers.

I'm also currently a grad student (M.Sc.).

Interview was good, lots of laughs, but definitely a few rough answers.

i was waitlisted bottom half. my stats: 11/9/12/N (32N)

my agpa is 4.23

don't know what happened, i guess i must have had a really bad interview.

my EC's are pretty good too.

i don't even know what i'm gonna do next year . . .

edit: I'm going to rewrite in sept. I know i can do better on WS and PS for sure, i think if i go full out, i can maybe get 11's, which would feel more comforting

Well I guess ill be the first to say I got rejected.

Stats: 10 average (guess wasn't good enough and now all the mcat dates are full)

my agpa is 4.1

Thought my interview went alright but there was some tough questions asked, I ended up ranking in the 3rd quartile.

My EC's probably need some work. I'll try and get some feedback from them in the next couple of weeks and go back to the drawing board.

I'm taking some medically related courses at my undergrad university so that won't be too bad to prepare me for when i eventually do get into med (knock on wood). I'm not upset as much for getting rejected as I know how stiff the competition is...what makes me upset is that i have to go through this grueling process all over again and that the stress will probably be even worse next year...im not getting any younger.

To all those who got accepted, congrats once again.

Hey, I also received a letter today.... waitlisted, 1st quartile... so i guess i'll be playing that waiting game as well!

This is the first time i have applied...

- 10 overall on the MCAT (not the greatest score, but not horrible for 1st time... definately should have put more effort into it... but we all know how hard it is to study during the summer!!!!)

- 4.5 AGPA

- Interview went fairly well but then again i have nothing to really compare it with since it was the first....

- EC list is long so i'll only name a few... volunteer with youth group, run summer camp programs for youth, volunteer at children's hospital, worked in microbiology lab for 2yrs, bio TA, coach jr high basketball... etc

crossin the fingers.... and congrats to all of you who got in... good luck to those who are still waiting!!!

MCAT: 9.5 - 10/7/10/Q

AGPA: 4.34

Interview: It was my second time applying and I thought it went better than my interview last year. I think my whole application needs to be improved.

EC's: Bio T.A., lots of hospital volunteer experience, clinical lab tech at Hilltop Research

I'm going to be spending my summer studying for the MCAT, since it can definitely be improved.

Accepted

B.Sc from U of M with GPA ~4.3

MCAT 10.5 with a 34N 12/10/12

EC's

Intramural sports -Hockey, soccer, ultimate, football

Volunteering at a hospital for 3 years

Student council for 2 years

Lots of other things -Piano, Swing Dancing, etc.

Employment

TA'ing -Biology, Biochemistry, Biology

NSERC URSA

Roger's Video

Bluenotes :eek:

Obviously I am very happy and relieved but I simply cannot get over how much of a crapshoot the entire admission process is. I cannot believe how much the MCAT is weighted and how unfair the advantage is to those who can take the entire summer off and devote their lives to it because they are supported by their parents. I also do not agree with not examining the difficulty of one's degree relative to that of other applicants because clearly all things are not considered equal. I also firmly believe that employment should be considered more of a factor in the process rather than an ignorant focus on academics.

I also think the interview process is extremely subjective and lacks standardization based on different panel members looking for different criteria. The three standardized questions also screw over individuals who do not know what they actually are prior to their interview because they are too honourable to find them out or lack the connections to do so.

I am sitting here very irate and upset with the fact that three excellent candidates that I know of will not be in the class of 2011. I know they are my friends and I am obviously extremely biased, but they are great people whom I believe would be excellent doctors and would trust them as professionals and moral human beings.

I am clearly not pleased with the decisions made this year and sadly this has probably happened many times before and will continue to happen unless the U of M adopts a more holistic approach in their selection of applicants.

That being said, congratulations too all those who got in and best of luck to all of those on the waitlist and to next year's applicants. It's honestly a coin toss and one of these times it's going to go your way just as it did mine.

Waitlisted Bottom Half

MCAT: 10.75 (12PS, 11BS, 8VR, R: 31R)

GPA: 3.8

EC's: TA Chemistry and Anatomy, ER volunteer, Meals on Wheels, Choir, Undergraduate Research, Intramural sports.

Other: Rural applicant, 2nd application.

God I could've thrown furniture around the apartment after getting the email from Christie. That waiting game had worn me out. It must've been a tough year if other people are getting waitlisted with MCAT's of 10.5 or higher. Must've said a few wrong things in my interview, or maybe I looked scary to them.

What's next? Well, another burned year I suppose. Might as well regroup and do grad school, redo the MCAT not this year but later on and kill that friggin VR section.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG!!!!! Just got accepted!! I cannot tell you what a relief it was to hear Beth's voice on the line! YAY!!! 3rd time's a charm :D

MCAT score: 9.75

AGPA: 3.8

Degree: BSc honors in Biology

Waitlisted 1st quartile.

Interview: felt alright but was too hard to read the impressions of the interviewers

Extra curricular: Student group leader, Volunteer work at St. Ammant, Working as medical admin/ billing in a Winnipeg Family clinic, Piano, sport, other languages, Rural attachments.

Manitoba is the only University I applied to and will be accepting my offer.

• 10 months later...

I think it's fitting that the first acceptance posted here is also the one with the ugliest numbers, so basically anyone who beat me (i.e. everyone), will take solace in the fact that they're pretty much in for sure.

GPA: 3.71 (that's right, it's that low!)

MCAT:11.5 (33S)

EC: TA, MCAT instructor, Private nurse, 8 years of volunteering in nursing home or hospital, security attendant in surgery, emergency, and psychiatry wards, 3 summers of research (psychiatry, microbiology and organic chemistry)

Second year applying because last year I couldn't even fill the application out correctly.

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies Computer Science/ Math major. My aGPA was ~4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

I only applied to U of M so it's my first choice.

PS: I'm in rural MB- Though the mail lady said that letters from Wpg take 3 business days, it got here. Mail is late due to the long weekend volumes.

Hey guys, this really hasn't hit me yet - but I was accepted!

I am an IP applicant first time applying to this school, and my MCAT average was 10.5 (31Q)

My GPA was probably about 4.2/4.5 (weighted)

I have lots of volunteer experience (hospitals, camp, coaching) and student government etc

I am currently finishing an MSc and I will definitely be accepting this offer!

YAY!

hooray! for all of you who are still waiting - GOOD LUCK VIBES!!!!

I was an IP applicant and this is my first time applying to this school. I just finished a B.Sc Genetics Hons and I will be accepting this offer.

MCAT: PS 10/ VR 12/ BS 12/ WS T

AGPA: 3.9

Volunteering: 4 years with anti-poverty ngo, dance, piano, human rights organizations, amnesty international, etc.

can't wait! it doesn't even feel real yet :)

-lr

I'm in.

IP

aGPA 4.30

MCAT 34Q (11 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS)

EC's: Lots. TA for Gen and Organic Chem, Captain of Junior hockey team, Youth group leader, ER volunteer etc

No medically-related work

No research, but this summer I'm doing NSERC.

Rural canditate.

Woot!

ps. Snoopy on the cover letter is a nice touch!

Here's my stats

I'm from Toronto/Ontario

OOP - wait list. A bit surprised since I felt my interview went really well.

aGPA (at the time of application, not including summer) - 4.20

MCAT 35R (11 PS, 12 VR, 12 BS)

EC's: Lots including - Choir (with exec), Interprofessional students associaiton (with exec), national health sciences student ass'n (exec), Conference planning, Planning of an IPE student courese, Organizing a children's afterschool program for literacy and health... etc.

Medically-related work: hospital volunteering (urgent care/geriatics), doctor-shadowing,

Research: Molecular Research- Volunteered since first year, Summer Studentship with CIHR. No papers. IPE research - Conference presentation/abstract (Not at time of application)

Hopefully i'll hear back soon!

premedgirl is premed no longer

I'm a Manitoba resident and just graduated with and honours in Genetics from U of M. My GPA was 4.25 (unadjusted) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: P

I had interviews at U of C and Memorial but was rejected at both.

I was Accepted by Manitoba.