Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Raucus Bacchus

Hello everyone!

I have been waiting to post a message such as this!

Stats,,,,

MCAT: PS 13; BS 14; VR 11; WS Q.

Last yr GPA: 3.98

Uh, this is my first time applying, and I am in off the wait list.

Like Toyota, Oh what a feeling! Is that even right?

Cheers,

PS, Bacchus will be rolling through Kingston with a band of merry revelling imbibationers!

Cheers again!

Guest sweetnovember

Hey, I was accepted to Queen's off the waitlist a couple of weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to posting til just now. I just graduated from McMaster with a BHSc. This is my first time applying to med school and I was also accepted at Western but turned them down.

My stats:

GPA: 3.92

MCAT, BS:12, PS: 11, VR: 9, WS: S

I'm super excited to be coming to Queen's, it was my first choice from the beginning. See you all in September!

Guest starlites

Hey,

I was accepted off of the Queen's waitlist last week, but wasn't able to post until now!! I am an Ontario resident and I just finished my third year of the BMSc Program at Western. This was my first time applying.

My Stats:

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: BS:13 PS:11 VR:9 WS:O

I am definitely very happy to be coming to Queens!!! :rollin Congrats to all and i'll see you in September!

Guest marizzle

I've been reading this forums for a while, but I never got around to posting... So, finally, here it is...

I am from Richmond Hill, ON and I did a 3 yr BSc in psychology at York. My gpa was 3.85 and my MCATs were PS 12, VR 12, BS 11, WS R. I'll be at Queens this fall...

For now, I'm with californicator on the :hat

• 1 month later...

Alright this is way late, but I'm stuck in England so what else is there to do?

Ontario resident

B.A. Economics, B.Sc. Human Bio, Doctor of Chiropractic degree. Undegraduate GPA 3.8 something.

MCAT VR 12, BS 12, PS 13, WS Q.

Generally though I don't think GPA and MCAt scores are that important for Queen's. Given the application process it's the "other stuff" that make or break you. My "other stuff" includes neuroscience research, being editor of my university paper, graduating as valedictorian, and various awards and extra-curriculars.

Queen's was my first choice, and after nail biting during the wait-list period I'm glad I got in:p

Signing off from London England.

Hope to see you all soon:o

• 8 months later...
Guest patentforamenovale

I was hoping I would get to post something like this...so here goes:

Ontario Resident

GPA:3.86

MCAT: 11VR/12PS/13BS/R

This is my second year applying, and I have yet to hear from UWO, Toronto and Ottawa. Toronto (home) is my top choice.

Guest workiholic

waitlisted at Queens and waitlisted at all the other schools I interviewed at. It's gonna be a long and anxious summer. :(

Ontario resident

gpa: 3.9

mcat: 14P/13B/10V/R

1st time applying and in my third year

Guest Isoceles

I'm waitlisted as well, and trying to remain upbeat about it! I was/am really psyched about Queen's... it was my only interview and I am holding out hope that I will still be there in the fall :\ ...

5th year English student, OOP (Alberta)

GPA (last 2 years): 3.68

MCAT: 10PS/15VR/9BS/O

This is my first year applying to Queen's (also applied to UofC and UWO); last year I applied only to UofC.

Guest megs29

I am an OOP applicant from SK and I was accepted at Queen's. I graduated with a B.Sc. in Biology this year.

GPA: 3.53

MCAT: 13PS/11VR/10BS/O

This was my first time applying to Queen's. I was also accepted to Alberta and Ottawa but have not yet decided on where I am going.

Megs

Guest squeegy80

I've always dreamed of the day I could post in here! I'm an Ontario resident, just finished a 3-year Biology degree at the U of O. My OMSAS GPA was 3.90 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: O

I was accepted by Queens. This is my first time applying to this school. I was waitlisted at Calgary and rejected (booooooo!!!!!! first choice for personal reasons...) at Alberta.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Alberta as my first choice, but I'm thrilled to have gotten in anywhere as a 3rd year applicant!

squeegy

Guest Platinum84

~All praise is due to God~

U of T 3rd year student in Pathobiology.

Accepted at UWO and Queens (don't know about McMaster). Will be attending UWO this fall, God willing.

Stats:

GPA: 3.97 (Best 2)

MCAT: 13P, 13B, 10V, R

ECs: Research, St John Ambulance, lots of humanitarian/social justice related work...

This'll clear another seat at Queens for those on the waitlist. Best of luck!

Guest rabbit

I received the fabulous e-mail yesterday and am happy to be posting some good news.

I am an Ontario resident with a BSc (physiology) and MSc (pharmacology). My undergrad cGPA was 3.48 and grad GPA was 4.0 (although these are not the critical factors post-interview at Queen's).

Have been working at a hospital for 2.5 yrs doing clinical research and admin. Currently have 4 publications and 8 abstracts. Lots of volunteer work and extracurricular interests.

I was waitlisted at Calgary, but am thrilled to be attending Queen's!! This was my first time applying to this school.

Deb

P.S. I will be celebrating my 30th birthday in medical school next year. So, for all you "older applicants" out there... don't give up! A little persistence and a lot of heart goes a long way.

Guest zhenlun

got the news today... never thought this day would come... i got shingles cause the wait was killing me...here are my stats

finished 3rd at Mac Health Sciences... 2nd time applying (took a year off, thus applying twice as a 3rd year)

1st time: ottawa, UT, Mac (pre-interview reject)

queens (post-intevew reject)

uwo (never got off waitlist)

2nd time: Mac (pre-intervew reject)

ottawa, queens, uwo (accepted)

GPA: 3.87(overall) 3.88(weighted)

MCAT: 11V, 12P, 13B, R

EC: nothing super steller, did some volunteering, some travelling, never set foot in a lab

haven't decided where to go yet... but just wanted to say to all those who don't get in this year, not to beat urself up... easier said than done... i had a really hard time last year with not getting in and literally everyone around me getting in somewhere... but it worked out... and hopefully it will for you too next year... keep hope alive

Guest MikeD

I'm an Ontario resident with a degree in Systems Design Engineering from Waterloo...some biomedical engineering grad experience too.

My GPA was 3.94/4.0, MCAT 33S:

Interview felt like it went really well.

I was accepted by Queens, but I think I'm turning it down to head out to Dalhousie. Queens seemed like a great school though with good students, and it's been a tough choice (but a choice I'm thankful for).

• 1 year later...

I'm a British Columbia resident and I finished my degree in Biology last year. My GPA was 3.71 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by Queens. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to (UBC, Manitoba, Queen's, and Memorial), I'd like to attend Queen's as my first choice, as it was the only place where I received an interview in both my two years of applying. I must have fooled them...

I'm an Ontario resident, finished undergrad at Waterloo in Systems Design Engineering, and I'm finishing up my Masters degree at UT in Biomedical Engineering. My undergrad GPA was embarassing (~3.54) and my MCAT scores were:

P: 11

V: 10

B: 10

W: P

First time applicant.

Rejected pre-interview by Calgary, Dalhousie, Toronto, Western, and Mac.

Accepted by Queens (my only interview).

Note - for those wondering, yes, my undergrad gpa is sucky. Queen's MAY waive the undergrad GPA requirement for graduate students if they deem you otherwise acceptable.

I'm a Quebec resident completing my B.Sc degree in Microbiology & Immunology at McGill University. My cGPA was (3.97/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

Extracurricular activities: Doctor shadowing, hospital volunteering, volunteering at AIDS community centre, work as counselor at disabled children's camp, peer tutoring, MCAT teacher at Kaplan, research in clinical epidemiology, NSERC grant, honours research project, 3 in-course scholarships, bursaries...

I applied to and was accepted by:

McGill

University of Toronto

Western

Queen's

This is my first time applying to these schools. Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill.

Just a side note: NEVER listen to that nagging voice in your head telling you your interviews went horribly. It will save you a lot of distress and spare you from any grey hairs.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone,

This is my 2nd time applying (no interviews the first time around) and I have an undergrad from UWaterloo in Math and a MSc from Queen's in Computer Science. My first two years at UWaterloo were horrible, but I pulled things up in the the final two years and finished with a 3.6 cGPA. I have a grad GPA of around 3.8 with two published first-author papers.

MCAT: 12/12/10/Q (P/V/B/W)

ECs: Tons - anything that fancied me - from solar race cars to competitive running to soup kitchens.

I was accepted by Queen's and Calgary but waitlisted at UofT. I don't know where I'll go yet....

Accepted.

-GPA: 4 year cumm GPA of 3.64 (thanks to a dismal first year where partying trumped school). Last two years: 3.83

-MCAT: 37R (P:13, V:11, B:13) (I wrote it twice....first time I effed up Verbal)

-EC's: Various stuff but nothing stellar (ie: I didn't start a club, become a president of anything etc). I had a decent amount of medical research (no pubs), travel experience, sports, music, member of some clubs, self-directed stuff.

-Interview: I was really happy with it initially (as many are it seems). I tried to be as sincere as I could, and was honest about my weaknesses. But, as the time between then and now went on I thought the interview went worse and worse...Lesson: "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere" (Van Wilder).

I graduated in May 2006 and was in a gap year. This is my second time applying.

I haven't heard from Western yet (probably waitlisted) and am waitlisted at Dal. I'll most likely be accepting at Queen's.

Best of luck to everyone else! If you're not accepted this year, keep doing things that you enjoy and work hard.

I'm a Newfoundland and Labrador resident with a B. Eng. (Mechanical) from MUN. I graduated in 2006.

Academics:

GPA: 3.86/4.0 (MUN Scale) 3.77/4.0 (OMSAS Scale)

MCAT: 34R - 12(PS) 11(VR) 11(BS) R(WS)

Volunteering: Wide range of areas covering coaching sports, health, tutoring kids and international development. No in-hospital stuff however.

E/C's: Two competitive sports in the past (including one internationally representing Canada). Lots of beer league sports. Auto racing (car design and driving). Ballroom and Hip-Hop dancing.

Professional: Engineer at a research and consulting firm. Member of PEGNL (the engineering governing body in NL). Lots of leadership experience on engineering projects (in school and at work). Work terms in Oil and Gas (NL), Pulp and Paper (NB), Mining (up North) and Hydro Power (NL). No published research.

This is my first time applying to Queen's. I was also accepted as an OOP applicant at Dalhousie and in IP applicant at MUN. I will be attending MUN in the fall.

Waitlisted at Queens

Ontario resident

3.75 cGPA (McGIll), 3.79 OMSAS GPA, last 2 years = 3.85

MCATS: 34R (12, 10, 12)

ECs: Research, involved in school clubs and groups, intramural sports, lots of TAing and tutoring, some academic/research awards

strong references and (I thought) good PIF

I thought that this was my best interview, as i was relaxed and was able to talk about the strongest parts of my application.

This was my first time applying.

Also Accepted at U of T and wait listed at western

U of T was my first choice and i will go there