Premed 101 Forums

DAT Carving - do they provide blades, rulers, and markers?

Could someone who has written the DAT before tell me if the blade, ruler, and Sharpie marker are all provided to us or do we have to bring our own?

If they do supply the materials, are they the same as the ones included in the CDA Preparation Package because I've become use to laying out the design with the Sharpie and blade provided!

Why is it that the preparation manual shows a person using pencil to outline the layout when it doesn't work on the soap provided?! I've tried to draw patterns with a regular HB and a lead pencil. All they do is indent the soap without actually marking it....

Thanks

Also, can someone clarify if we can indeed wear GLOVES during the carving?

Could someone who has written the DAT before tell me if the blade, ruler, and Sharpie marker are all provided to us or do we have to bring our own?

If they do supply the materials, are they the same as the ones included in the CDA Preparation Package because I've become use to laying out the design with the Sharpie and blade provided!

You are given the soap, blade, ruler, pencil and Sharpie marker for the DAT exam. You cannot bring in your own. Do not worry - the materials are the same except for the soap. Many people on this forum have claimed a slightly different composition for the soap. Whether this is true or not, I do not know.

Also, can someone clarify if we can indeed wear GLOVES during the carving?

You can bring your own gloves. There are always a few examinees who wear them so you will not be the only one. Some people have sweaty hands so they benefit from gloves. Others just don't like the feel of it.

Why is it that the preparation manual shows a person using pencil to outline the layout when it doesn't work on the soap provided?! I've tried to draw patterns with a regular HB and a lead pencil. All they do is indent the soap without actually marking it....

There are many ways to accomplish the soap carving. I personally used the pencil to carve out the lines on the soap. In fact, I never touched the sharpie. Others use the blade to speed up laying lines on the ends. I have also seen your method. It's ultimately up to you what works best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived