Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

Hey guys,

What about University of Toledo...I couldn't find info on that and they don't seem to respond to emails. Also, I'm not too sure about the University of Indiana. Thanks for any input.

Zuck

Indiana does.

EDIT: Toledo says on their website that you must be a permanent resident/citizen.

Well, you can APPLY, nobody said you'd get in!:P They may take you, they may not. For the top tier schools, most of the applicants will have good stats, so whether they choose to interview or not will mostly depend on how original your application is. They can afford to pick and choose regardless of stats. Every once in a while someone gets into an Ivy with a 3.2.

How to get ranking on each school in the list. I would like to apply only to good US med schools. Its not worth investing so much to get into 2nd & 3rd Tier schools.

Good US schools - I guess by that you mean top tier schools. Check out the following site:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php

It's amazing what typing in "medical school rankings" in a google search will get you.

Hey Sweet Buds,

There is no such thing as an easy school to get into. If there were, the Caribbean would be out of business pronto.

Also, what is a good MCAT? Your GPA makes the cut, although it is a bit low. If you have a stellar MCAT, you could pull it off with the "Lizzy M" score. You can check Jochi's MDapplicant's page, she has them all calculated. It basically your GPA multiplied by 10 added to your overall MCAT score. Anything over 65 should be ok.

Also, keep in mind that the schools in the US look at your Undergrad institution. So a GPA of 3.5 might pass if you come from McGill or U of T, but not from Mount Allison. Not that Mount Allison is bad, it's just not recognized.

As for your status, that might be problematic. You will have to contact the schools directly, as some only accept Canadian citizens, ie, no landed immigrants.

Best of luck,

M.

Are these the ONLY US schools take Canadians? (Just wondering if I should be going thru the MSAR and emailing schools randomly in addition to looking @ the ones listed here)..

Thnx!

Yeah, that's a comprehensive list. There is a small # that takes Canadians who got degrees in the US.

does anyone know if these schools accept LOR's via interfolio? I think it would be a great way to organize all of my LORs.

http://www.interfolio.com/

To my knowledge, every school accepts Interfolio, however, not all of them accept the electronic submission method. However, in this case you just have Interfolio send your letters out by mail.

Good US schools - I guess by that you mean top tier schools. Check out the following site:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php

It's amazing what typing in "medical school rankings" in a google search will get you.

since we're all scientists here, you may also wish to read this article. just read the abstract if you dont' want to pay for the article

http://academicmedicine.org/pt/re/acmed/abstract.00001888-200110000-00005.htm;jsessionid=Gs9Dytk0Svf1fLrv3p1f0xrJhJCwJFVPCLJyB0vDhxQtzQRYyZtK!220059229!-949856144!8091!-1

my advice: apply to a bunch, then choose the best school after you visit them. Names dont' mean a thing if you don't like the program, environment. We've all heard of too many regrets from ivies who wish they didn't go to ivies. be your own judge!

________

TOYOTA TOWNACE HISTORY

To my knowledge, every school accepts Interfolio, however, not all of them accept the electronic submission method. However, in this case you just have Interfolio send your letters out by mail.

do you know if canadian schools will accept interfolio too? (I mean the ones that don't already have their own centralized application service like OMSAS)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realllllyyyy want to go to Baylor. But, I am not too sure how many canadians they accept and what the stats are. The problem is my undergrad gpa is not too high unless first year is dropped lol so i am guessing in order for me to have a shot i have to score 35 plus to be considered.

i believe my non-academics are strong for entrance but academics lack

I realllllyyyy want to go to Baylor. But, I am not too sure how many canadians they accept and what the stats are. The problem is my undergrad gpa is not too high unless first year is dropped lol so i am guessing in order for me to have a shot i have to score 35 plus to be considered.

i believe my non-academics are strong for entrance but academics lack

nah baylor is super tough to get in. especailly with a low gpa (<3.8). I would say you have better chance at Harvard, Yale.

I wont bother with that school till residency. plus from what I heard, baylor isnt located in the best part of texas. heh.