Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools

• 1 month later...

Hey...I just got verified and it seems they did NOT use the Queen's scale!

I'm not sure why or how this happened, but for Queen's students:

4.0 = 87-100% (A)

3.7 = 80-86% (A-)

3.3 = 75-79% (B)

Definitely not what I was expecting after reading this thread.

I think there is definitely some errors with the conversion #s posted in this thread. The official ones are provided by AMCAS:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasgradeconversionguide.pdf

Check out the box at the bottom for Canadian universities. No such luck for UWO/Queen's :P

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that most schools don't use a GPA system. You get a percent mark, which is an estimate of how well you did and does not reflect the rest of the class.

When I was calculating my Queen's GPA I got the same numbers that AMCAS did. I used that giant conversion chart, but different school use different conversions (I think it's dependent on the letter grade you get. Queen's only has As or Bs, no pluses or minuses).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I want to make sure if the conversion I used from AMCAS conversion table is the right one for the ryerson university.

AMCAS conversion table

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasgradeconversionguide.pdf

Ryerson GPA Table:

http://www.ryerson.ca/essr/gpacal.htm

AMCAS GPA

A+ 90-100 4.0

A 85-89 4.0

A- 80-84 3.7

B+ 77-79 3.3

B 73-76 3.0

B- 70-72 2.7

C+ 67-69 2.3

C 63-66 2.0

C- 60-62 1.7

D+ 57-59 1.3

D 53-56 1.0

D- 50-52 0.7

F 0-49 0.0

Ok a friend of mine at queen's just submitted letters in for her marks and got it converted back to a percentage that showed on the transcript..anyone else had that phenomenon?

Not I. I submitted letters and they left all my marks as letters. What program is she in at Queen's?

That is weird. I'm in LifeSci as well and I put in later grades and they kept them. Same for my other friend. I know someone in Engineering who ended up having percentages + my other friend started off putting in percentages (but with her 4.0 GPA it really didn't matter). AMCAS is just so inconsistent with the way they do things. You can always call them and ask.

Yeah AMCAS is stupid. I have percentages because I'm in engineering, but one of our first year classes is given a letter grade (A, B, C or whatever). My A got converted to a Pass. :mad: And they wouldn't change it.

And that just doesn't even make sense...A is definitely not just a pass :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Queen's Life Sciences student and I was just verified today...I entered in my letter grades from my transcript but they changed them to the %'s and converted from there. here's the scale that was used for me:

87-100 = A = 4.0

80-86 = A- = 3.7

75-79 = B+ = 3.3

70-74 = B = 3.0

65-69 = B- = 2.7

60-64 = C+ = 2.3

55-59 = C = 2.0

50-54 = C- = 1.7

Also...kinda annoying that pharmacology doesn't go into the BCPM GPA! There go five 4.0's I really could have used in that calculation...oh well.

I'm a Queen's Life Sciences student and I was just verified today...I entered in my letter grades from my transcript but they changed them to the %'s and converted from there. here's the scale that was used for me:

87-100 = A = 4.0

80-86 = A- = 3.7

75-79 = B+ = 3.3

70-74 = B = 3.0

65-69 = B- = 2.7

60-64 = C+ = 2.3

55-59 = C = 2.0

50-54 = C- = 1.7

Also...kinda annoying that pharmacology doesn't go into the BCPM GPA! There go five 4.0's I really could have used in that calculation...oh well.

I have had 2 friends, one had it like u and the other got off with using their A's as 4.0s. I think ur right tho, that scale is probably the one is going to get used for me

I have had 2 friends, one had it like u and the other got off with using their A's as 4.0s. I think ur right tho, that scale is probably the one is going to get used for me

I think it's so stupid. I don't understand why can't they just stick to using letter grades for people that have letter grades. In the end every percent does make a difference and it seems like people are being punished for having percentages entered for their GPA.

yeah it's kinda frustrating because if my letter grades had been converted my final calculation would have been considerably better...not much can be done about it though! i don't have the greatest GPA anyway so i'm just hoping my MCAT carries a little bit more weight

Different schools emphasize different aspects (some like MCAT, some like GPA) but from what I gather a lot like MCAT because its standardized and some schools favor a good VR score, others a BS and PS score. Different strokes for different folks, but the fact that there isnt a single paradigm of an ideal applicant makes it somewhat possible for different applicants to be competitive at different schools.

Best of luck to you Bladam!

• 3 weeks later...
What scale would they use for Trent University?

There seems to be so many different ways to scale the grades???

Depends on what you have on your transcript. Do you have letter grades or percentages or both (are there +/- for your letter grades?). The conversion scale from AMCAS will reflect your official Trent transcript.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to add that for Queen's it is in fact A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0, etc

A lot of my friends ultimately had the letter grades that they initially put in changed to % values. However when you hit "print application" and you do a preview, you wil lsee all the marks that were A's on ur transcript are converted to As on the amcas scale. Therefore letter grade on qcard = amcas grade.

From there, amcas grades of A,B,C are converted to 4.0,3.0,2.0 respectively. So the original scale posted by SONYVAIO is correct.