Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist Thread

In anticipation of results being released shortly for IP applicants, I have started this thread which is a tradition every year. OOP and international students please add to this as well. Please feel out as many of the survey questions as you desire, and leave all other comments/discussions to another thread.

I'm a (fill in province) resident completing my (blank) degree in (blank) at XYZ university. My CGPA was (X.X/Y.Y) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

Extracurricular activitives:

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred) by McGill.This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

My information as an example:

I'm a (In province) resident completing my Bachelors degree in (science and management) at mcgill. My CGPA was (3.97/4.00) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

Total=30

student clubs, hospital volunteering, executive of club, shadowingdoctors and observing surgery, journal club

I was accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend mcgill as my first choice.

I'm an out of province resident completing my Science degree at McGill. My CGPA was 4.0/4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (12)

Written Sample: ®

Total 33

Extracurricular activitives: hospital volunteering, volunteer work with kids, help phone line, choir singing, classical piano training, 2 clubs executive positions, tutoring and TA work, clinical reserach and lab reserach.

I was waitlisted and then accepted by McGill. This is my first time applying.

McGill was my first choice...and a LONG shot!!!

I can't believe I'm posting in this :) Its been such a hard, long journey, but I'm finally here.

I'm an in-province resident completing my B.Sc degree in Microbiology & Immunology at McGill University. My cGPA was (3.97/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

Extracurricular activities: Doctor shadowing, hospital volunteering, volunteering at AIDS community centre, work as counselor at disabled children's camp, peer tutoring, MCAT teacher at Kaplan, research in clinical epidemiology, NSERC grant, honours research project, 3 in-course scholarships, bursaries...

I was Accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill or U of T (still have to wait!)

I'm an in-province resident completing my B.Sc degree in Microbiology & Immunology at McGill University. My cGPA was (3.58/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (14)

Verbal: (10)

Written Sample: (O)

Extracurricular activities: 2 years volunteering with Saint John Ambulance, Summer STEP Program at the Royal Victoria Hospital, VP Communications for student association.

I was Accepted by McGill. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill most.

HURRRRAYYY!!!

PS: Hope this helps anyone with fears of their cGPA being too low :)

Wow.... it was long and hard and tough, but now i just have to pass these exams and its done!

I'm a in province resident completing my Bachelors degree in (science and management) at mcgill. My CGPA was (3.92/4.00) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 15

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: S

Total=42S

student journalism, hospital volunteering, community outreach volunteering, high school rowing, lots of clinical and laboratory research, FRSQ summer grant.

I was accepted by McGill. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UfT as my first choice (although McGill places a very very close second).

I'm an in province resident completing my Bachelors degree in physiology and kinesiology at McGill. My CGPA was (3.62/4.00) and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: (11)

Written Sample: (P)

Total= 34

see? you don't need a 3.9 cGPA to get in!

hospital volunteering, peer advising, volunteering for McGill open houses/student send-offs, intramural athletics, high level ice hockey, research, work experiences.

I was accepted by McGill. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the (2) schools I applied to, I'm not sure if McGill is my first or second choice yet, but I am certainly glad to be accepted!

Well, it seems that not only a high GPA is not appreciated, it doesn't help you at all.

I was waitlisted as an in-province. My GPA was 4.0 for the freshman year at Queen's and 3.88 for the last 3 years at McGill. MCAT: 31R. Volunteering in hospital, community service, research, charity concert, fund raising events.

Still didn't get in :(

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your profile is still strong from the looks of it. Where else did you apply?

UdeM is the only other school I applied to. McGill was really the only school I wanted to get into, given I have to stay in Montreal and my verbal score sucked (Ontario wasn't that much of a choice). Actually, my interview was fine, too. Don't know why I didn't get in really after so much hard work!

Congrats to those who made it.

Hey everyone,

I'm sort of bummed I won't be in the same class as all of you, but I'M SOOOO EXCITED because I got into the MD/MBA program!! Has anyone else? PM me if so !!

I'm a in resident completing my undergrad degree in biopharmaceutical sciences at the University of Ottawa. My CGPA was (3.94/4) and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: (9)

Total 33Q

Extracurricular activitives/sketch: My ECs aren't wonderful. I have a few cool things such as starting a Parliamentary Guided tour program in Niger with a few friends. I organized a few fundraisers. Overall, quality not quantity No hospital experience. I,ve had a lot of cool jobs. I've been a Parliament Tour Guide, a Senate Page (for 2 yrs now), 2 NSERCS, 2 TA positions. I can't think of the rest of my sketch right now, I'M TOO EXCITED!

I was accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice.

Hey Guys,

I'm a Quebec resident doing my undergrad in Microbio at McGill. My cGPA was (3.93/4) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (13)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Total: 39R

Extracurricular activitives: Lots of hospital work, both as a volunteer and as an employee, tutoring, swim instructor, lifeguard.

I was accepted by McGill and it's my first time applying.

I'm waiting on answers from UdeM, Queen's and Western, but I'm really happy cause McGill was my first choice!

I graduated from Cornell University, magna cum laude. cGPA: 3.81, MCAT: 31R and I'm finishing up my graduate degree at Yale University - Immunobiology.

Extracurriculars: did 1 yr of research in medical physics/radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York and volunteered in the ER at New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell Campus at the same time. Published 1 article and currently co-authoring another one in Immunobiology.

I don't like Cornell's problem-based learning curriculum and New York City's upper east side is way too expensive to live. McGill is definitely my 1st choice school and I'm happy I got in here.

Hey Guys,

I'm a Quebec resident doing my undergrad in Microbio at McGill. My cGPA was (3.93/4) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (13)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Total: 39R

Extracurricular activitives: Lots of hospital work, both as a volunteer and as an employee, tutoring, swim instructor, lifeguard.

I was accepted by McGill and it's my first time applying.

I'm waiting on answers from UdeM, Queen's and Western, but I'm really happy cause McGill was my first choice!

That's a really nice MCAT. Everything is so balance.

I'm also an IP finishing my PhD at Dalhousie in physiology and biophysics, did an undergrad in biochem (also at Dal) with an undergrad cGPA around 3.7

MCAT scores are:

Verbal: (8)

Total: 31Q

Extracurricular activitives: Many years of volunteering in hospitals (including rural hospital, rehab centre, geriatrics and with children), volunteered at the YMCA and in a lab during undergrad, was a resident assistant and was the res council chairperson. I have multiple abstracts and manuscripts published/in press/submitted and in preparation, have held multiple studentships and won various different research awards, presented both nationally and internatinally etc. etc. etc.

Last year was my first time applying to Med and I was accepted off the waitlist by McGill, but then deferred to finish my graduate work.

For those wailisted and feeling bummed don't give up just yet, like I have said a few times, the waitlist does move a couple spots. Also just because you didn't get in on the first round doesn't mean that you wouldn't make a good med student, but instead that there are more good students than available spots. As for improving your application its hard to say where you might have faltered. Fortunately there is no rigid or magic formula for getting in since all schools seem to be looking to admit a diverse group of students from a variety of backgrounds and a range of interests. Instead make sure that you do things that you are interested in, and are committed to, instead of finding activites that you think will impress the Ad Com.

also congrats to all those admitted!

Congrats to all those accepted! Feel free to IM me or post questions here as they arise :-)

I just wanted to re-iterate what labmonkey just posted...

I can honestly say that the difficult part at McGill is getting the interview...although this may be a mute consellation, just know that your application is competitive or else you would not have been invited...as well, when I applied 2 years ago, I Had a sub-30 MCAT and a decent GPA (3.8)...I also worked for 2 years had half a dozen or so conference presentations and a publication too...I also majored in the humanities which was a bit different etc etc...all this to say, that if you are deficient in one area (in my case, the MCAT) you can most definitely compensate in other areas...

Keep in mind that the waiting list does move somewhat (though only in May when the Ontario acceptances come out) and if for whatever reason this year doesnt work out, take a look at the application and see where you can improve...I decided not to rewrite the MCAT--my weakness--since it was too traumatic the first time...hah...instead, I focused on doing things I enjoyed in my time off (backpacking the world for instance) and I think that helped convey my passion during interviews....it is sometimes tough to pin-point exactly why things did not workout but if you are serious and dedicated to medicine it really will work out in the end...

I was given an interview... but I'm kind of getting concerned that maybe my not-so-high GPA came back to haunt me post-interview. Or even my semi-decent list of extracurriculars...

The thing is that when they did the interview, they really just went completely over my autobio. So they were reading the story of my life, while that part should have already contributed to that 20% that consisted of my application. So are they just reevaluating my experiences as part of my interview score, or are they just using that as a base to get to know my personality?

Boggles the mind...

no one really knows EXACTLY what they are looking for in the interview but it's mainly used as a tool to get to know you better to see if you are a good fit for the school. each med school has its own different type of environment and curriculum style and a part of the interview is to see if you are the type of person who would fit in well at this school. they use your essay as a springboard for questions about yourself to learn about your personality.

Jayeeee, did you mean waitlisted because usually you are either accepted or waitlisted. If you were refused this year, don't get discouraged. you can try again next year and use this time to enhance your application (either mcat/gpa or life experiences like volunteering abroad, travelling, learning a new language/skill). Don't spend all your time stressing over what may have gone wrong in your application because there is absolutely no way to know for sure. Even if you hire an admissions advisor (they actually have people who do this for a living, and for a quite a cost), you wont know what happened. The interview can be very subjective (schools try hard for it to be objective but interviews will always have some subjectivity in them by their nature) .

Nope, not waitlisted. I got an e-mail specifically telling me I was refused, and my Minerva status was updated the same.

Thanks for the advice though.

no one really knows EXACTLY what they are looking for in the interview but it's mainly used as a tool to get to know you better to see if you are a good fit for the school. each med school has its own different type of environment and curriculum style and a part of the interview is to see if you are the type of person who would fit in well at this school. they use your essay as a springboard for questions about yourself to learn about your personality.

Jayeeee, did you mean waitlisted because usually you are either accepted or waitlisted. If you were refused this year, don't get discouraged. you can try again next year and use this time to enhance your application (either mcat/gpa or life experiences like volunteering abroad, travelling, learning a new language/skill). Don't spend all your time stressing over what may have gone wrong in your application because there is absolutely no way to know for sure. Even if you hire an admissions advisor (they actually have people who do this for a living, and for a quite a cost), you wont know what happened. The interview can be very subjective (schools try hard for it to be objective but interviews will always have some subjectivity in them by their nature) .

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post mine but if it might help people for next year's application:

36Q MCAT

3.74 GPA at McGill in Microbio and Immunology

and extracurriculars include hospital volunteering, an on-campus club, orientation, rec league women's hockey, white water rafting guide and research in healthcare human resources.

I'm a non-traditional applicant cause this was my second undergraduate degree but that came up in another thread somewhere.

This is my first time applying to McGill and I was accepted and will be attending as of august and I am super excited

I forgot to add that I am ROQ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was accepted as a resident of Quebec. Did my bachelors in Physiology at McGill.

GPA: 3.74

MCAT: 32P (10P 10V 12B)

extracurriculars: basic science research (1 publication on the way), clinical research, doctor shadowing in africa (2 months), Behavior Therapist (working with an autistic child), cultural activities, exec of clubs at mcgill, student government in cegep.

I applied last year and was waitlisted (and eventually rejected). I was really disappointed at the time, but I've had some truly amazing experiences over the past year and I am happy it worked out the way it did. It was a blessing in disguise. So for those waitlisted or rejected, I know how unpleasant it is right now but take advantage - having time off at our age is really a good thing!

I'm a resident of Quebec with a BA in Music and a BSc in Biology from Bishop's University. My GPA is 3.86/4.0 and I have a 30O MCat.

Phys: 10

Verbal: 11

Bio: 9

Writing sample: O

Extra Curriculars: Uni club exec, volunteering in Vietnam, Volunteer experience in 2 hospitals, many choirs, volunteer with Canadian Blood Services, Summer research assistant in a Biology Lab, Experience working in a medical clinic, worked as an assistant to athletic therapists and lots of other travel.

I was accepted at McGill and this is my first time applying to medical school. It is my first choice and I have already accepted.