Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So I posted in the American schools section as well and I'm in a bit of a jam. I applied across Canada this year and so far have received no love. My GPA is 3.61 on the omsas with my last two years barring one blown biochem course being much better (3.8-3.9).

My MCAT was a 32Q (BS 13, V 8, PS 11)

I'm applying again next year with some more volunteer experience etc and hopefully some work in Haiti in the next months (super excited) and am also going to be applying across a large number of mid-tier american schools.

I'm 100% dedicated to getting into a school somewhere but do not want the headache and uncertainty of img's etc.

My practice MCAT's were all 34-39 with 10 being the lowest Verbal score of all of them. I'm worried about re-taking and doing worse but also being out of school for a while, taking on another writing is a big time and financial commmitment. But the 8 is killing me! I was right by the stupid door, got shook up and ran out of time :(

Re-take? Or should I be okay in the states?

Thanks! You guys/gals rock!

I wrote my MCAT last summer, and did way worse than I was expecting.

10PS, 11BS, 12VR, Q

Doing practice tests, I was getting high 30s. I'm going to have a busy summer, should I bother sacrificing other summer plans and risking losing my VR score to rewrite? I'm mainly concerned about the Q...

Don't rewrite.

Possibly.

It depends what your average is. If you have written a number of practice exams and are consistently scoring higher, then it might make sense to rewrite.

But losing your 11 in verbal would be disastrous. I really wouldn't take the chance unless in practice exams you're consistently doing better.

Sorry this may be late, but I disagree with the above about the 38 N in question. It would be foolish to rewrite for a few more Canadian schools. The 38 MCAT is rock solid and don't ever think you can repeat a 15 in a section.

The only schools that are crossed off are Queen's/Western and who really cares? Every other Canadian schools and top notch US schools are open with this score.

A final note: consistently scoring higher on practice than a 38 on the real deal does not mean much. Improving the 38 is highly unlikely and not to mention you have a great VR score to boot.

Hi everyone,

So I posted in the American schools section as well and I'm in a bit of a jam. I applied across Canada this year and so far have received no love. My GPA is 3.61 on the omsas with my last two years barring one blown biochem course being much better (3.8-3.9).

My MCAT was a 32Q (BS 13, V 8, PS 11)

I'm applying again next year with some more volunteer experience etc and hopefully some work in Haiti in the next months (super excited) and am also going to be applying across a large number of mid-tier american schools.

I'm 100% dedicated to getting into a school somewhere but do not want the headache and uncertainty of img's etc.

My practice MCAT's were all 34-39 with 10 being the lowest Verbal score of all of them. I'm worried about re-taking and doing worse but also being out of school for a while, taking on another writing is a big time and financial commmitment. But the 8 is killing me! I was right by the stupid door, got shook up and ran out of time :(

Re-take? Or should I be okay in the states?

Thanks! You guys/gals rock!

Imho, I would retake without a doubt. That verbal will stop you at a lot of places unfortunately. At least bumping it a point will help considerably with a lot of the mid/upper mid tier US schools (a lot of US schools will not accept a sub-9 in verbal from an int'l applicant).

I believe you have nothing to lose. You averaged a 12 on the sciences (great!) and holding that down should be reasonable. I was in a similar situation with a 9 VR last year (12/9/12) and gave myself a shot to rewrite so I would not have any regrets. Ended up with the damned 9 again but the risk was worth a shot. In your case, with a 8 VR, you have little to lose by re-writing.

Work on that verbal!!

• 2 weeks later...
12P - 10V - 12B, WS: P

The first time i wrote it i got a 13-6-11 R, so i'm happy with my new verbal score, but should i be concerned about the P? Thanks guys!

Depending on your GPA breakdown, you have a legitimate shot at all Canadian schools *except* Western and Queen's.

A darn good job with the verbal improvement and a nice bump in the overall score!

Thanks! I'm a student at UBC, so my best chances are definitely at UBC. My cumulative GPA is sitting at about 87%, and I'm not sure exactly how the breakdown will be for eastern/albertan schools.

Hopefully the 10V and the P won't cause any problems at the other schools.

I have 36P, 12ps 10v 14bs ws P and I got a few interviews (gpa 4.0 alberta, 3.97 omsas, 3.99 calgary, not sure how ubc calculated it) so it's possible. Queen's was the only one I applied to that I got rejected (most likely) because of the P, Toronto doesn't care as long as your above min. 9's and N I believe. I think basically Queen's and Western are the only ones who will give you problems.

How did you improve VR so much?!

The first time I wrote it, I used Princeton Review passages. When I did the AAMC practices I had consistently scored within the 8-10 range, never below and 8. On the actual MCAT I felt good about it too, but I guess it turned out that I must have choked during the test.

The second time I wrote it, I studied a LOT of verbal using the Examkrackers material. On the actual MCAT I actually did not feel as good about it as my first time, but that may have been partly due to my anxiety because I did poorly on it the first time.

Overall, I highly recommend practicing with EK material, I found their passages and questions to be more similar to actual MCAT passages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12 bio 11 phys 10 verbal - 33R

I am very lost as to if I should retake, I usually score 1 point higher in each section on my practice tests (average about 36-37). I think it meets the cutoffs from what I see, but verbal is risky....

My GPA will probably be 3.85-ish next year, for Western and UT I ll have 3.9 (one course screwed me)

So I don't know, am I safe? Is it worth it to retake?

Much thanks in advance

Consider the opportunity cost of taking a summer off to write the MCAT. This is different for everyone. I worked through last summer, have two potential publications in the works, got some great real-world clinical and public health research experience, and made some money too. I didn't do as well on the MCAT as I could have (good enough to get in though), but for the school I had my eye on (Dal), improving my research and work experience by working far outweighed any small increase to my MCAT score. This will differ for each person - I personally think taking a whole summer off to write the MCAT is ridiculous if you've already taken the relevant courses (for me, it was a review of material I covered 2-4 years ago). This might be different if you're a BA in English and don't have the same experience in science.

Consider the opportunity cost of taking a summer off to write the MCAT. This is different for everyone. I worked through last summer, have two potential publications in the works, got some great real-world clinical and public health research experience, and made some money too. I didn't do as well on the MCAT as I could have (good enough to get in though), but for the school I had my eye on (Dal), improving my research and work experience by working far outweighed any small increase to my MCAT score. This will differ for each person - I personally think taking a whole summer off to write the MCAT is ridiculous if you've already taken the relevant courses (for me, it was a review of material I covered 2-4 years ago). This might be different if you're a BA in English and don't have the same experience in science.

Though I agree that there may be some opportunities lost, I think it is valuable for you to assess your strengths and studying habits first. If you're already a science major or good at the areas tested by the MCAT, you probably will not have a problem attaining decent scores.

However, given that cutoffs are rising (such as Westerns 11 VR score) it is VERY important that you do well, regardless of whether it's a balanced 33 R or a 39 R. I know people who have to take it again because they were working at labs and studying MCAT at the same time. I know from assessing myself that I would want to do some research at the side, but most of my time should be dedicated to MCAT because I don't feel as comfortable as I want to be.

Either way, if you can pull both off it will be great. But if you need to take it again, you might lose next summer again anyway trying to catch up with the material. The bottom line is, be mindful of time investments and priorities.

• 3 months later...

I think your score is pretty good. Your verbal will hold you back at Western and to an extent Mac...but with Casper at 50% weighting, a 10 isn't bad. I think Queens has been a 10 in verbal for the last while. I understand that you might want to improve bio and verbal to be on the safe side...but you could definatley get in with that score. If you have the stamina and time, and feel that you can score 2-3 points higher in bio and verbal you might reconsider.

My rewrite turned out to be: 11P/10V/14B/M............. : 35M

I've scored a 11P/9V/12B/Q on my first attempt...

3.7 cGPA, 3.85ish wGPA everywhere in Ontario except Ottawa which should be a bit higher.

US is an option, but I'm wondering if my latest MCAT will hold me back from UofT.

Are there any other schools that I can apply to in Canada?

If I rewrite, I'm not confident that I can hold onto the numerical score - especially the 10 in verbal but I'm sure I can improve the writing section.

What do you guys think?