Premed 101 Forums

Girls - what to wear for interviews?

biogirl_85

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At my interview last year I wore a skirt suit. Some girls wore pant suits, others wore a nice pair of pants or a classy skirt with a blouse. One girl looked really good with mid calf pinstriped pants, black boots, a white button up with a nice vest. The great thing about being a girl is we have lots of options. Just look professional.

Two of my girlfriends got into med school last year..

The one that got into Queens wore a red turtleneck, black high waisted pants and 1 inch heels and a black blazer...she went through a month deciding what to wear, bought stuff, then ended up wearing clothes she already had and was comfortable in.

My other friend who got into NYU wore a black dress about 2 inches above the knee, Jackie O style, short sleeves with 2 1/2 inch pumps..no slits and she wore simple gold chain..she bought her dress on sale at Club Monaco..

Both girls wore their hair back in a pony tail..wore mascara. lip gloss

I spent alot of time with them...as it was stressful for them..as guys just have to get a suit for for females...well got to watch the impression you give..

HOPE THIS HELPS..if I ever get an interview...I will atleast know who had success in wearing what

thanks Terryann! that info was really helpful! I had this random assumption that girls always wore conservative pants suits, but thank goodness im wrong...im going shopping today for an interview outfit and im relieved i dont have to spend $200+ on a suite.

I love the idea of polished nails, and a simple done up face with hair pulled back. I hadnt even thought about my nails, i cant thank u enough for the advice!

The one that got into Queens wore a red turtleneck, black high waisted pants and 1 inch heels and a black blazer..

IMO she wore a suit, if the black of her pants and the black of her blazer are almost identical. (the line between blazers and suit jackets for women is very blurry)

buying the pants and blazer together in a set does not define a suit. a suit is a set of top and bottoms in identical colors and fabrics. you can get away if the colors and fabrics "look" identical. this means you can buy the blazer and pants/skirt/dress at different stores. this is beneficial if you wear different sizes for tops and bottoms. there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to put a set together for $80-100.

the traditional way to wear a dress is with a matching blazer. see this: http://www.jaeger.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1570&element=8307

hmm..thinking, you girls should post a thread..re all ladies who were accepted into ont med schools...please write what you wore..etc...

A friends boyfriends mother who is on the interview committee told her she loved it when the ladies showed a "little" flare...one likes to remembered too, oh yes the girl with the red turtleneck,..blending sometimes is humdrum...

Just thought I would share what I plan on wearing...

I have a taupe-ish suit that I bought at Club Monaco about a year ago, paired with a white collared shirt, and brown heels from Nine West.

I'm getting a manicure on Thursday (my first interview is Saturday), and I'm either going to pull my hair all the way back into a ponytail, or I'm going to pull half of it back. I just don't want it all in my face, especially because I know I'll end up fussing with it.

hmm..thinking, you girls should post a thread..re all ladies who were accepted into ont med schools...please write what you wore..etc...

A friends boyfriends mother who is on the interview committee told her she loved it when the ladies showed a "little" flare...one likes to remembered too, oh yes the girl with the red turtleneck,..blending sometimes is humdrum...

Either way, I hope what we say is more important that what we wear. :P

Yay! Maybe I'll wear my mouse flats =)

A doctor friend of mine said that wearing a suit and looking professional is the way to go. You want to walk into the interview and have them see you as a Dr., so looking like one goes a long way.

I think being comfortable is important too, as the day will be very stressful. I tried a skirt suit and felt like my grandmother, didn't suit me at all! I have chosen a simple black pant suit that fits very well and is very flattering, nothing flashy, but classy and elegant. Not used to wearing a jacket so I had to find one that I was comfortable in. Nothing worse than feeling like you are dressed up in someone else's clothes!

But while I agree that what we say is the most important thing, looking sharp and feeling confident will certainly help!;)

I've been on afew interviews now, and I have to say the most important thing for me was comfort. My first interview, I wore black high waisted pants with a jacket and a white dress shirt under, so I guess you could call it a dressier/trendy outfit since they were both designer and somewhat couture, and I felt horribly uncomfortable because the second I got there, I realized I didn't want to look like I stepped off a runway (not that I do). For my more recent interviews, I bought a suit, but I still wanted to keep some of my style, so I didn't buy one that was black, and I felt much more confident. I think that fashion at a med interview is about standing apart, not standing out.

So what is the general consensus on shoe colour? I just bought a beautiful pair of wine-coloured shoes from Nine West that I'm totally in love with, and I'd love to wear them. But I don't want to seem too flashy, especially since I'm wearing a pantsuit. Does nontraditional female attire + too-colourful shoes = disaster in the eyes of the older, very traditional men/women who will likely be interviewing me?

Archived