Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Housing

webshy

Congratulations (in advance of Friday's e-mails) to those accepted! Kingston is a great city to live in! Here is a thread for you to discuss housing options in Kingston.

Most of the class of 2012 live in the area east of Barrie, south of Princess. Many live in the Homestead buildings along the water (http://www.homestead.ca/locations/?city=Kingston#show), while others live in either private residences that have been converted into apartments or other buildings. A few of us bought either condos or homes in Kingston. If you need the name of a trustworthy real estate agent, please feel free to ask.

Here is the Queen's University housing map, with a link to Queen's accommodation listings: http://www.queensu.ca/dsao/housing/areamap.htm.

Keep in mind that our classes are at the SE corner of campus - Botterell, CEC, BioSci and KGH.

There are a few people in our class who have opted to live in the west part of Kingston, and who park at West Campus, and take a shuttle bus to main campus. Prices are generally cheaper further from downtown. You will have a bus pass included in your student fees. Most people are happy with their decision to save money by living a bit further from campus.

If you have any questions, please ask! The first year class will be done final exams by the time you get your e-mails, and we're happy to help you with your move to Kingston!

Again, congratulations!

Elaine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Elaine!

On the real estate agent front, I was looking at condos on my interview weekend just in case I'm lucky enough and had an amazingly friendly and pressure-free agent.

If anyone is looking at condos I would be happy to send his info along.... especially if I don't get in, then I didn't completely waste his time lol.

As for condos..... there seems to be limited availability which makes them fairly expensive.... but there are some nice ones out there....

I looked at the buildings on King st. west across from Cataraquai golf club.... but am going to make sure to look at the ones downtown as the King St. West buildings were a good 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic while everything downtown was in decent walking distance (with good boots for the winter of course.)

Congratulations to all of you who will be joining us here at Queen's come September. I just wanted to leave a quick reminder about one of the best housing deals in all of Kingston: Student Medical House.

Please visit the facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kingston-ON/Student-Medical-House/78645492851?ref=nf) or email mrobinson@qmed.ca to find out more.

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the housing tips! Would you be able to specify exactly which of the homestead apartments are the most popular and how far east of Barrie do most people go? Thanks!

Hi JA09,

Congrats on being accepted at Queen's! The Homestead buildings usually occupied by med students are the ones along the water, on Ontario St. The names are Caravel, Lord Sydenham and Shipyards. The Carruther's Warf is a beautiful new building in the same area - but more expensive.

Sorry to my friends in Meds House! I should have mentioned that as a great option in my first post. Meds House is a fantastic option for those who are looking for a close knit community - and meals made by a fantastic chef!

Elaine

how much is rent typically at queen's?

i was accepted but i'm leaning towards another school, but i haven't made up my mind for sure now

Rent depends on whether you are living alone or with roommates, and how far you are willing to walk to class. Is 5 minutes your maximum? How about 10 (probably the norm). Are you willing to trek 15 minutes by foot? If so, your rent will go down substantially.

In the under 10 minute category, you can live along for about $650 for a bachelor apartment to $850 for a 1 bedroom apartment. Of course, if you want a fireplace, granite countertops, etc., you could pay $1000+ for a 1 bedroom apartment. If you are willing to walk an extra five minutes (still within 15 minutes of class and the hospitals), you could pay a few hundred dollars less per month.

There are many really nice two bedroom apartments for under $1000, which of course means that you can pay a lot less to live. In addition, there are cheaper apartment buildings (eg: Princess Towers) where some of my classmates live.

Elaine

Congratulations to all of you who will be joining us here at Queen's come September. I just wanted to leave a quick reminder about one of the best housing deals in all of Kingston: Student Medical House.

Please visit the facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kingston-ON/Student-Medical-House/78645492851?ref=nf) or email mrobinson@qmed.ca to find out more.

Is furniture included in the rent for Meds House?

Typically the rooms are unfurnished, but we do have people moving out that tend to leave stuff behind so if you are coming from somewhere far away it shouldn't be too hard to find some furniture for you. We do a run during September where we dump all the unused furniture, so if you come in without too much stuff, we could probably set you up.

Typically the rooms are unfurnished, but we do have people moving out that tend to leave stuff behind so if you are coming from somewhere far away it shouldn't be too hard to find some furniture for you. We do a run during September where we dump all the unused furniture, so if you come in without too much stuff, we could probably set you up.

awesome :)

Hi my question is regarding whether its better to have a place in Kingston all year round (12 month lease) or just for the ~8 months of school and nothing over the summers...not sure exactly how the summers are used at Queens Med and whether there are indeed breaks during the summer...at least during the first couple of years. Also since I'm here, is a vehicle necessary or not...i realize that the campus itself is pretty compact and public transit is good but what about clinical experience (if it occurs off campus) or any other meds related work that doesn't happen within the immediate campus area?

Thanks

The problem with doing the 8 month lease (Sept-April) is that 1st year med classes don't end until May (exams go into the 2nd week of May in 2010 as per the sessional dates website). This would leave you moving out when you really should be studying, as well as needing to find accommodations for 2 more weeks of classes/exams. There has also traditionally been a rotating observership program held in Kingston following 1st year exams/Week in the Country, which usually goes into June or so. This is not mandatory by any means, but something that people might like to participate in.

In 2nd year, doing an 8 month lease would be more feasible. You're given time off beginning mid-April to do your critical enquiry. When you actually start this is flexible, so you could easily move before the first of May.

I have no idea if this is true, but it strikes me that 8 month leases might be more expensive per month than 12 month.

Personally, I kept my apartment over the summer. I didn't sublet. I know a number of my classmates did similar things, though some of them took up Kingston as their permanent residence. This might have been easier for me financially because I was sharing accommodations, but if money's an issue, then sharing could also be an option for you. Also, I absolutely abhor moving, so I was more than happy to keep my place in Kingston and pop in and out occasionally during the summer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look for a decent 1-bedroom apartment? The homestead buildings on Ontario St. look great but are there other nice buildings for a little cheaper?? I guess I might have to live outside downtown and commute.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look for a decent 1-bedroom apartment? The homestead buildings on Ontario St. look great but are there other nice buildings for a little cheaper?? I guess I might have to live outside downtown and commute.

I'm in the same boat, I think if I want to get a place on Ontario for a good price I'll have to get a roomate and get a 2-bedroom :(

Is anybody in the new class interested in having a roommate and finding a place to share? The prices of the 2 bedrooms in the Homestead buildings are quite reasonable (as compared to the 1 bedrooms) and look great.

Feel free to PM me if interested at all. Cheers.

Easy-going female student looking for another female student to room with for the upcoming year. It just makes more financial sense to share a 2-bedroom considering the rental costs in Kingston.

Would prefer to live near the Waterfront, but am totally flexible about the location. My rent limit would be around $800/month but ideally would like to pay around $600/month. My only sticking point is needing a parking spot for my car.

If anyone is interested, you can contact me at nks1608@gmail.com and we can discuss the details.

Any of the current med students or previous Queen's students have any say on the Princess Towers? Its about a 1.2km walk to classes but I can deal with that. The bachelor apartments are pretty cheap....any help would be appreciated.

I haven't had any personal experience with that place, but I knew a few people that lived there and I think they are cheap for a reason. Kingston is pretty expensive (living wise) becuase it's a university town, so if something is really cheap, I would be weary. But it also depends on what you are looking for and what you are prepared to deal with. I'm just going by what the few people I knew who lived there would say about the PT.

You'll prob want to get a place near campus... the public transit is pretty shotty in kingston. Plus there isn't a whole lot outside downtown Kingston.

Any of the current med students or previous Queen's students have any say on the Princess Towers? Its about a 1.2km walk to classes but I can deal with that. The bachelor apartments are pretty cheap....any help would be appreciated.

Princess Towers is decent... right downtown. Close to everything. Check out Brock Towers, Panadew Holdings, and Keystone...

Keystone...

Keystone is a phenomenal company. I lived with them last year and they have some of the nicest employees you'll ever meet. Plus, they have 24 hour maintenance guys on hand and are a real joy to deal with. However, their places are quite expensive (unless you get a 3 bedroom place with them). But I recommend them in the highest terms.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived