Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Housing

webshy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it practical to drive to school?

No. Parking on campus is atrocious and expensive (parkade at KGH = $14/day, street parking is 3 hour limit)

Some people drive in and park their cars just outside the student ghetto (10 min walk=free parking)

Other people rent a parking spot from the landlords in the ghetto.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still looking for housing for this year, I am in the process of buying a house in Kingston and will be looking to rent out one or two rooms to responsible classmates this year. The house itself is very nice (much nicer than any of the rental options I was able to find on a couple visits to Kingston). It's a three bedroom house, one of which will be occupied by me, and I will furnish everything except the rented bedrooms. The walk to the med buildings is less than 20 minutes and there will be one parking spot available if you need it. I will have 5 new appliances plus a backyard with bbq. This definitely won't be your average student housing but who I live with is very important to me, so if you think you might be interested please email me at harrisonbanner@gmail.com and we can talk about it.

Good luck with your housing search,

Harrison

• 10 months later...

I'm looking to room with a male Muslim (practicing) or two for the upcoming year. Hopefully similar lifestyles will make things easier.

I'm pretty lenient and fairly neat, at least for the common areas lol.

If interested, please PM me! We can discuss details then.

The Keystone website seems to be down for me...

What do people think about these places?

Brock Towers, Skyline, Caravel, Shipyards

I'm thinking that a bachelors would work best for me, although I wouldn't mind splitting a double room either.

The Keystone website seems to be down for me...

I'm thinking that a bachelors would work best for me, although I wouldn't mind splitting a double room either.

i LOVE them! i emailed the company the other day and they sent me the current availability list. the only one that has anything available right now is shipyards, as far as i can remember. i can send you the list if you'd like, just pm me. or you can email them as well and get them to send you an updated one (athough i'm sure not much has changed over the past 2 days).

I am planning on heading to Kingston the weekend of June 5th to start taking a look at some of these places. I'm not sure how close any of you are but I'm only an hour and a half away in Ottawa. If you'd like I can take some pictures and such and send them your way to give you an idea of what to expect with these apartments. I'm going to start contacting the building managers in order to set up appointments shortly so let me know!

Brock Towers is super convenient for food and nights out since it's across the street from the 24hr A&P and a short block away from the bars and restaurants on Princess St. It's also right by several coffee shops and pretty close to the main library on campus if you prefer not to study at home. That said, because it's right in between the student ghetto and the nightlife on Princess, it's also going to be a bit noisier than the other buildings which are in a more residential neighbourhood.

I can't comment on Skyline and Shipyards, but one of my good friends lives in a two bedroom in Caravel and loves it. Her kitchen's on the small side, but otherwise the apartment's spacious and bright. Great balcony view too. Downtown amenities are more of a walk though (takes 10 minutes or so), and the big park that you cut through to get to campus can be sketchy if you're a woman walking by yourself after dark.

Congrats on accepting Queens! I just posted this on the facebook group:

I'm a fourth year student. A couple of my roomates are graduating and I'm looking for two new roomates. Its a nice 3 bedroom apartment in a nice part of town.

The address is 67 Sydenham St. If you map it you'll find its about a 10 min walk to KGH/Queen's and less than 5 min from HDH, the other hospital. Rent is $402 per month and includes heating only. With utilities, internet, phone, cable comes out to be around 460 maybe. Laundry is across the hall.

Our lease is up at the end of this month. The landlord has expressed interest in signing individual leases.

So far I have one potential 2014 interested. Email me back if you have questions, howard.an@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm looking at Homestead Shipyards and it seems like a good choice, close to class and has everything (check it out on the homestead website (http://www.homestead.ca/property/?id=36&img=1#show). I'm looking for a potential roommate.

I'm a 21 year old male going to 1st year Queens. Looking for another male student to share an apartment.

Apparently, need to start booking appointments with homestead early on,

so if anyone is in the same situation and needs a roommate, please message me on PM101 and we can collaborate.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Question to any current Queen's students.

I was wondering what you know about Princess Towers. I took a look at it today, i.e. I actually went inside it and saw an apartment. It seems like it has good space, great location, reasonable price...etc

But is there something really off about it? I know that it used to be a residence and its filled with students of all years... But is there anything I need to know that would potentially throw me off from living there?

Thanks in advance.

Question to any current Queen's students.

I was wondering what you know about Princess Towers. I took a look at it today, i.e. I actually went inside it and saw an apartment. It seems like it has good space, great location, reasonable price...etc

But is there something really off about it? I know that it used to be a residence and its filled with students of all years... But is there anything I need to know that would potentially throw me off from living there?

Thanks in advance.

It can get sort of loud at night as the hub is right there. You can hope for an apartment not facing princess street, it might be a bit quieter at night.

It can get sort of loud at night as the hub is right there. You can hope for an apartment not facing princess street, it might be a bit quieter at night.

Hey, Thanks. Do you know of any other med students living there? Do they seem happy with it?

Hey, Thanks. Do you know of any other med students living there? Do they seem happy with it?

I'm not sure of any med students, but friends that have lived there have commented on the noise at night, particularily the weekends. That part of princess street is the centre of the nightlife downtown for many many Queen's students. There's many bars and fast food places to eat after the bars. Also, friends have found homeless people sleeping on the steps to get into the building. It's great b/c it's close to everything, but it's also bad, b/c it's within earshot of everything!

Edit: I think it definately would be quieter if you were not facing princess street!

I've known med students who've lived there, but I don't know anyone who stayed more than a year. It's an okay building, but there are nicer (and quieter!) places at similar price points nearby. If you're in a hurry to rent it's not a bad choice and you won't be stuck with a crappy landlord, but if you've got time I'd hold off a week or two until people finish giving notice for September :)

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to see you all in September!

I'm interested in one more housemate to split the cost of a 2-bedroom apartment, most likely down by the waterfront. I'm 22, female, looking for another female housemate preferably but a male housemate works just fine. Please let me know if you are interested!

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to see you all in September!

I'm interested in one more housemate to split the cost of a 2-bedroom apartment, most likely down by the waterfront. I'm 22, female, looking for another female housemate preferably but a male housemate works just fine. Please let me know if you are interested!

Hey ShoeBear...I'm also looking into the waterfront homes, but MAN, they are expensive. I would totally be interested in sharing a place with a fellow WLer.

Oh, and I'm 21 and also female. PM me and we can discuss things a bit more.

Archived