Premed 101 Forums

Course: ANA300

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

I have a question regarding the undergrad anatomy course, ANA300Y. I'm thinking of applying to U of T meds next year and need one more life Science course (my others are all environmental sciences). Have any of you taken it? Are there labs, or is it just exams and the dreaded "bell ringer?"

Thanks

Guest cheech10

I didn't take it, but many in my class did. The profs (Taylor and Wiley) are amazing; you get them again in meds.

Take a look at embryo. It's a half course, but if you take it, you can opt out of the UofT meds embryo classes and test (since it's the same profs and just watered down).

Guest medwant2b

Hi macdaddyeh:

I took the course last summer and thought it was awesome. That said, I'm not sure it is worth taking during the year. The labs of the course were far and away the coolest part (real, beautifully prepared human cadavers) and I've been told by someone (not sure who anymore) that they aren't part of the fall/spring course.

Guest ozymandiasking29

I took this course this past year and I enjoyed it, although not the bell-ringer:rolleyes But that's probably my fault since I tried to cram studying for the labs the week of the test which doesn't work too well. We didn't actually have structured labs - you could just go in on your own time, although I studied mostly from a CD that they have available which shows specimens pretty well too. We didn't have Taylor this past year - Wiley took care of everything except Neuroanatomy which was a HORRIBLE experience with a Dr. Van Der Kooy. The nice thing about the course was that pharmacy students took it with us and one of their students took all the notes and put them up on the pharmacy students website - we Arts and Science students made good use of them too :P That being said, I would definitely advise taking the embryology course which was much more interesting and had the added advantage of Dr. Taylor who is AMAZING! Plus the class average for us in that course was a B (or B+, I can't remember) which is incredibly high.

Guest Lakers4life

If you believe that you are going to be attending UofT meds then take the embryo course. You are exempt from it during 1st year meds, which means less class and one less exam. I wish I had done that; embryo has been my worst exam to date!

Guest banana

you must take ana300 and ana301!!!!!!!

they are both amazing courses, very well taught and very relevant to medicine. i loved them both.

ana300 is a lot of work. there are 6 tests over the year, but none are cumulative!! if you work hard, you will do well. same from embryo.

good luck!

banana

Archived