Premed 101 Forums

Hi there everyone, what do you wear for a medical school interview (girls)

Hi there,

I was wondering what is considered conservative colours for females. I heard black is not a good colour to wear for the interviews, is this true? For those who had interviews what did you end up wearing? Did you wear a suit? (pant suit or skirt?)

As you can tell i am pretty nervous.

oh yes, it would be nice if you can also suggest some places that sell suits for women. Thanks :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wore separates both this year and last year. I didn't have the $ to buy a suit that I actually liked the first time, and during this year's interview season, I had gained a lot of stress-related weight and I didn't wanna waste $ on a suit that I knew would be way too big on me a month later. Last year I wore light grey slacks, a dark navy sweater, and a white blazer. This year I wore navy slacks, navy sweater, and a navy shirt underneath the sweater. If you are gonna wear a full-on suit and heels, make sure you're used to them. You can tell the people who've never worn a suit and/or heels from a mile away at interviews, lol.

EDIT: oh, and for god's sake, if you're wearing a skirt, make sure you 1) bring an extra pair of pantyhose 2) check your hose regularly for tears. There was one chick at my interviews whose hose were ripped to shreds and she seemed to be completely oblivious to it. If you don't have a replacement pair, just take them off (so yeah, shave those legs before you head out, lol).

I don't think there's anything wrong with black. It's not that different from a dark navy. I would suggest a structured jacket (almost all women's retailers carry these) + pants or skirt as that is what most people will be wearing. Fit and comfort are more important than price; blazers from Suzy Shier are $35 but I've seen people wear them quite well (black is more forgiving). If you think you will be wearing it again, you could invest in a professional business suit (check Winners)..

Hello,

When I interviewed for med 3 years ago I also spent a lot of time stressing about what to wear, but looking back on it now, I realize that that stuff really isn't as important as we all thought it was at the time. The interviewers aren't fashion critics right? They're more interested in what your experiences have been and what you have to say, so spend more time focussing on that, and way less time (and money) on your outfit.

That being said, when you walk into that interview room, you want the interviewers to be able to see you as someone who could be a physician - so whatever you choose to wear, make sure it is clean, unwrinkled, and not overly revealing. I wore a black pant suit and a brighter patterned blouse for my interview (from SmartSet and Le Chateau so nothing too fancy), but I've seen successful candidates wearing beige pantsuits, knee-length skirts and blouses, or just dress pants and a blouse without a suit jacket. I don't think there are any rules about colours either: a navy coloured suit isn't going to guarantee you a spot, and a red coloured suit isn't going to automatically exclude you from a spot. Focus more on practicing for your interview and just make sure that you feel comfortable (i.e. that you can sit/stand/walk in it) and confident in your chosen outfit.

And like the post above mentions, be sure to bring backup pantyhose or a tide-to-go stick just in case!!

Best of luck with your interviews!

I wore a black suit (which consisted of a blazer, white shirt, and knee-length skirt) with black heels. I got it from Marciano (they are not cheap, but definitely have great suits).

When I went to get my suit, the salesperson told me that different ways of wearing your suit means different things (collar up = sexy; collar down = professional, etc.) and different coloured shirts also mean different things (I think blue was sexy, while pink was sweet, white was professional, etc.). I don't really think all that is very important, but if you really want to know, you could ask the salesperson for their input :)

If you are going to be in the US before your interviews, just buy your suits there. If you go to a big mall that has Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, and/or JCPenney's, you are guaranteed to find something that works for a reasonable price. I picked up a nice Calvin Klein suit for under $200 at Macy's this summer. I suppose it wasn't technically a suit, but matching separates, since you could buy a blazer and pants or skirt in different sizes (crucial).

Also, I would advise tailoring your suit, especially if you are on the shorter side. While I don't recall seeing girls with that problem at my interviews, there were more than a few guys who were guilty of having sleeves that hung past their knuckles, lol. If you are already shorter than average, it makes you look like you snuck into your dad's closet when he wasn't watching. It'll cost $, but it will make you look sharp AND make it easier for you to function (and prevent the sleeves from fraying too much if you wear the blazer often).

Oh yeah, and another thing with guys that jumped out at me at my interviews...pay attention to not just the length, but also the width of your tie. If you are short, a wide tie makes you look even shorter. If you have a belly, a skinny tie only makes it look bigger.

When I went to get my suit, the salesperson told me that different ways of wearing your suit means different things (collar up = sexy; collar down = professional, etc.) and different coloured shirts also mean different things (I think blue was sexy, while pink was sweet, white was professional, etc.). I don't really think all that is very important, but if you really want to know, you could ask the salesperson for their input :)

LOL, it's funny that she would say that...it's not like only blue is sexy or that blue can't be professional, etc (quite the opposite, I would say that only neon colors might not pass the "professional" test).

I always feel kind of pompous wearing a white shirt with a suit, I don't know why. I'll wear it with a cardigan (or nothing else) on top, though.

Reminds me of this picture we took at our school in grade 7...I decided to wear a black suit with a white shirt that day. To date, people keep asking me if it's the teacher sitting in my spot.:rolleyes::P

Oh yeah, and another thing with guys that jumped out at me at my interviews...pay attention to not just the length, but also the width of your tie. If you are short, a wide tie makes you look even shorter. If you have a belly, a skinny tie only makes it look bigger.

lol what if he's short AND fat :P

It'd be even more awesome if you could do your MMI in bed.;)

Yes indeed!

I just realized my bed and bedding are the same colour as my interview outfit this past year. haha! I would've been camouflaged for the bed version MMI ;)

Off topic, but this thread made me think about how much I don't like pantyhose - a necessary evil. Going to have to find some for an upcoming wedding. Ugh. And, of course, follow all of Joch's pantyhose preparedness tips!

Yes indeed!

I just realized my bed and bedding are the same colour as my interview outfit this past year. haha! I would've been camouflaged for the bed version MMI ;)

Off topic, but this thread made me think about how much I don't like pantyhose - a necessary evil. Going to have to find some for an upcoming wedding. Ugh. And, of course, follow all of Joch's pantyhose preparedness tips!

Yeah, pantyhose are terrible.:( I thought they were old news too? But I suppose meds can still be pretty traditional so I guess I'll have to invest in some (if I get an interview of course)!

I have a light pink blazer with a grey skirt (black/white turtle neck underneath)...I have a 3 pc "power suit" with a knee length blazer and dress/pants mix (dark navy w/ stripes), I have a black and charcoal blazer that matches anything...I have many suits that I jump back and forth from.

I tend to choose among my suits depending on how cold it is, my mood, and my hair cut. I'm small so I have to have them all tailored (shoulder pads taken out, etc.) because suits can make you look like drowned rat if they don't fit properly.

Wear a suit to church, a wedding, or to work as often as you can so that you can be comfortable with it--and have it dry cleaned before you go. It's cheap, and they will do a great job.

As for pantyhose...if in doubt, shave and leave them out. Lol.

I wear ballet flats--that way I can't trip and break either my ankle or, even worse, the shoe. Lol.

Good point!

But the dress I like to wear to weddings hangs better when I have pantyhose on. Booo!

(We just turned this into a 'W.E.D.' thread, hehe)

My rule is to wear heals I can walk in and that are comfortable. No stilettos for me, hehe! You could certainly pick out the gals at the interview that were not comfortable in their shoes.

Good point!

But the dress I like to wear to weddings hangs better when I have pantyhose on. Booo!

(We just turned this into a 'W.E.D.' thread, hehe)

My rule is to wear heals I can walk in and that are comfortable. No stilettos for me, hehe! You could certainly pick out the gals at the interview that were not comfortable in their shoes.

I have flat feet...the only time I wore heels was at my own wedding and it took me 4wks to learn how to walk down that aisle without killing myself. (There were a number of bruises involved in the training...lol).

Ballet flats are great--you can get lovely ones that look extremely professional or transferable to any outfit. They also help for anyone who's standing around a lot--they won't hurt!

Good point!

SPANX, dude, spanx.

Yeah, it's hard to find comfortable heels, but they DO exist. I once found the perfect pair at Rockport - very professional-looking, but not dowdy, and only $70. Turns out, my perfect size is 9.5W (yeah, good luck finding that...lol). I bought 2 pairs, but recently one of them wore out to the point where it's no longer socially acceptable...I tried to find these shoes somewhere, but it was a lost cause, they've been discontinued.:( I bought another good pair at Nine West, but I don't think they'll be quite as comfy, whereas in my Rockports, I could go 8 hours on my feet without blisters.:(

SPANX, dude, spanx.

I've never worn them or even tried them on. Do they really do what they say they do? Worth the investment?

Yeah, it's hard to find comfortable heels, but they DO exist. I once found the perfect pair at Rockport - very professional-looking, but not dowdy, and only $70. Turns out, my perfect size is 9.5W (yeah, good luck finding that...lol). I bought 2 pairs, but recently one of them wore out to the point where it's no longer socially acceptable...I tried to find these shoes somewhere, but it was a lost cause, they've been discontinued.:( I bought another good pair at Nine West, but I don't think they'll be quite as comfy, whereas in my Rockports, I could go 8 hours on my feet without blisters.:(

I find ninewest are MORE comfortable than rockports--less stiff materials, generally. However, I haven't found anything I like in their collection in the last couple years in terms of heels.

Now is a great time for shoe shopping. TONS of sales, not just on summer shoes but on all kinds of styles. The toughest part is finding if your size is left, fortunately lots of stores in Canada are now online and will just order in your size if available elsewhere.

I can't believe people are thinking interviews already...siiiigh...have barely even looked at the applications for this year.:P

Archived