Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Graduate Student Policies

Great thread...

What is meant by the additional points added? How significant are these increases for having a graduate degree?

U of Alberta

Masters 1 point, Ph.D. 3 points

McMaster

Additional 1% added to pre-interview score for MSc students, additional 4% added for PhD students

• 4 weeks later...
just wondering, has the graduate review of Dalhousie changed recently?

I went to the website today and there is nothing there about grad school applicants and discounts.

Good question, I'll look into it when I get some time. If somebody else has more info, please let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

I'm debating between a year off and starting grad school. If i'm starting a 2 year masters in septemper, it would end in september 2 years after I start... But what are medschool policies on when you have to finish a masters?

As I understand, I wont be able to apply for admission into fall 2011 medicine because i'd be in the middle of my masters right?

What about for fall 2012 admission? My masters would end JUST as medschool begins... is that a problem? does the masters need to be finished at a certain time point before classes start?

Question:

I'm debating between a year off and starting grad school. If i'm starting a 2 year masters in septemper, it would end in september 2 years after I start... But what are medschool policies on when you have to finish a masters?

As I understand, I wont be able to apply for admission into fall 2011 medicine because i'd be in the middle of my masters right?

What about for fall 2012 admission? My masters would end JUST as medschool begins... is that a problem? does the masters need to be finished at a certain time point before classes start?

You're right about 2011. As far as 2012 goes (and people can correct me if I'm wrong), you need to have a scheduled defense by the time September rolls around (even if your defense is in September - sometimes this happens because the committee can't get together before). So, that means you can apply to med as long as you plan to be done your Masters by the time med school rolls in.

Does anyone know if there is any hope at UofC with a chronically low ugrad gpa (with a crazy rising trend) and a solid grad school gpa?

I'll be considered IP so based off my grad work I'll get fully reviewed, by my cGPA for ugrad is <3.0, especially when I convert from the UBC scale to the UofC scale...its actually shocking! Anyways that's another story.

I'm asking because I'm coming to that crossroads where I have to determine whether or not to take the plunge and apply internationally (Australia, Caribb, Ireland) or keep trying for Canada.

Also, does anyone know what the majority of schools' policies are regarding taking courses to boost your GPA? Do they HAVE to be part of a degree?

e.g. 1 - If I just take a year of full time studies (informal post-bac as they call it in the states) and then apply will that count or does that year have to lead to a degree?

e.g. 2 - I enroll in another undegrad degree (say at UofC) and take my courses as though I was a first year again (whatever standard program they have for first year BSc students) and then apply. IF IF IF I get in after that first year, can I drop the program (the BSc) and matriculate or will I not be allowed because I haven't completed 2 full years of undergrad (in my NEW degree)

I hope you can see where I'm getting confused. Basically, the biggest limiting factor with my application right now is my GPA. Everything else can be improved upon or added to. Unfortunately my first ugrad GPA is set in stone :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like most schools generally want you to complete your masters degree before applying, but I've known people who have gotten in mid-degree. Do people just not report their masters status? I'm in for a 2 year masters and was just wondering what my next steps should be.

• 1 month later...
just wondering, has the graduate review of Dalhousie changed recently?

I went to the website today and there is nothing there about grad school applicants and discounts.

Seems like it's still the same as last year :)

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/gda.htm

Masters:

2 best consecutive full time undergraduate years plus

ALL course grades from the Masters program (count as one years GPA). These three years will be averaged together to determine your eligibility. You must meet our stated minimums for the applicant pool you are applying in.

Ph.D.:

All courses from the Ph.D program (count as one years GPA) combined with the GPA from one senior year (year 3 or 4) of the completed undergraduate program will be averaged together to determine your eligibility. You must meet our stated minimums for the applicant pool you are applying in.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
ubc was horrible to grad students in the previous application cycle

Yup, I was rejected pre-interview and for all my research/papers/etc I received a poor NAQ.

This year they look like they're quite interested in research, with an entire section devoted to it. That combined with the fact that I've been volunteering my face off... I'm hopeful for a good NAQ and HOPEFULLY an interview.

• 1 month later...
I was wondering if anyone was interested in compiling/or already know a list of schools that allow applicants to apply during mid-way in their masters degree?

I would like to add it to Law's FAQ.

Good idea. Don't all schools technically allow you to apply mid-way? I just thought that some schools don't give you extra points unless you have completed the degree.

Some schools give me a conflicted answer for that.

I know Queen's allows you to apply midway as long as you are done by August 1st of matriculation date.

UofT allows you to be mid-way as long as you are done by July of matriculation.

As Law has already stated, NOSM gives you the bonus if you are almost done the program (conferring in December) during the year of the application.

I know McMaster and Calgary don't give you any extra advantage or use your GPA, respectively, unless you have finished your Masters.

However, I am not sure how it works for Dalhousie..because it says "All graduate students must have an official transcript submitted to the Admissions office on or before the Application closing date each year"

Does this imply that you degree must be complete, just like for Calgary?

• 1 month later...