Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Graduate Student Policies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

This is a great thread. I am not familiar with the application system in Canada. I completed my BS and MS in USA from the same university. We have a pre-health committee that puts together all the reference letters (4-7, of which 4 must be from undergraduate course instructors) and writes a summary. I figured in OMSAS, only three letters are allowed. I am not sure which letters to pick now, the undergraduate ones? I want all the schools to get the most recent letter from my graduate PI. However, If I include that in my OMSAS, then for U of T I do not have any other letter to send with the graduate application package.

Is there anyone who can help? I really appreciate it.

Thanks

For Ontario schools they don't specify that any references need to come from an academic source. Pick letters from three different people who could comment on different aspects of your personality. Most will likely pick an academic reference, a reference from a community member perhaps where they were a volunteer, and a boss/manager or someone who can vouch for their work ethic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the current U of C policy is for grad students? I read last year that they take best 2 years so for my master's and I took say 2 courses in year one, and then 1 course in year 2. Then that means only my grad school marks would be looked at? Has this changed this year? I can't find the info on the website anymore.

Does anyone know what the current U of C policy is for grad students? I read last year that they take best 2 years so for my master's and I took say 2 courses in year one, and then 1 course in year 2. Then that means only my grad school marks would be looked at? Has this changed this year? I can't find the info on the website anymore.

This is from the applicant manual for last year:

"Applicants with a completed graduate degree will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of calculation. In the event that an application has multiple years with graded courses within their graduate program, the graduate degree GPA will be calculated using the weights of the individual courses."

Its a very confusing statement to me as both sentences seem to say the same thing but point to 2 different calculations.

In your case, I would assume that they would take all the grad courses, average them, and then consider it as one year of UG GPA. So if you had 4 years of UG when you graduated, they would take the best 3 (dropping the worst) and then add the Grad GPA as another year (total of 4).

I would email them of course just to be sure...

Thanks for replying. I guess they look at 4 years now instead of the best 2. Sucks for me :-( Is the OOP cutoff 3.70? I don't think I make the cutoff then. I would if they only looked at 2.

This is from the applicant manual for last year:

"Applicants with a completed graduate degree will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of calculation. In the event that an application has multiple years with graded courses within their graduate program, the graduate degree GPA will be calculated using the weights of the individual courses."

Its a very confusing statement to me as both sentences seem to say the same thing but point to 2 different calculations.

In your case, I would assume that they would take all the grad courses, average them, and then consider it as one year of UG GPA. So if you had 4 years of UG when you graduated, they would take the best 3 (dropping the worst) and then add the Grad GPA as another year (total of 4).

I would email them of course just to be sure...

I know the feeling. They changed the formula for calculation as well. It used to be:

GPA multiplied by some constant + VR multiplied by a constant + BS multiplied my a constant

Now it is:

2 X GPA + MCAT (VR)

And they take the top 200-250 of the OOP applicants using this formula and give them a full file review. Minimum 3.6 GPA for OOP applicants, but remember that UofC uses its own conversion which is even less forgiving than OMSAS :(

Yea sux for the OOP cutoff of 3.60. That means even if I get like a 15 for verbal. I still can't apply coz my GPA of the last 4 years is not 3.60.

I know the feeling. They changed the formula for calculation as well. It used to be:

GPA multiplied by some constant + VR multiplied by a constant + BS multiplied my a constant

Now it is:

2 X GPA + MCAT (VR)

And they take the top 200-250 of the OOP applicants using this formula and give them a full file review. Minimum 3.6 GPA for OOP applicants, but remember that UofC uses its own conversion which is even less forgiving than OMSAS :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm a little confused if the UWO policy

"Graduate students are required to have completed all course requirements for their degree. Their thesis (if required) must be submitted for defense to their examination committee prior to registration in the medical program.

means that I have to have completed all of my courses before applying or before you can enter the program?

I'm in a course-based MPH and I really, really, REALLY don't want to delay my app for another year

Hi all, I'm a little confused if the UWO policy

"Graduate students are required to have completed all course requirements for their degree. Their thesis (if required) must be submitted for defense to their examination committee prior to registration in the medical program.

means that I have to have completed all of my courses before applying or before you can enter the program?

I'm in a course-based MPH and I really, really, REALLY don't want to delay my app for another year

Not an applicant myself, but to me that says that you must have completed your courses prior to registration, not application.

It means that you can apply to med but must plan to complete the degree prior to beginning classes. For instance, I applied last fall and was accepted at Dal. Now I have to finish my MSc degree this summer, which includes finishing and defending my thesis.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does anyone happen to know, with respect to U of C's grad policy - when they say "completed graduation" prior to the application deadline (in order to have graduate marks count etc), is it sufficient to have proof of successful thesis defence by that date - or do they truly require you to have walked across stage for graduation/have diploma in hand.

anyone been in this boat and able to clarify on specifics?? thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just got off the phone with U of C and the lady I spoke with (Laurie Simmonds) told me that graduate GPA's will only be included if the student has convocated by Oct 15. I myself defended my degree back in June and was approved for graduation August 1 but apparently that's not good enough because I won't actually convocate until November. The really frustrating thing is that last year, U of C's manual said that "Applicants with a completed graduate degree will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of this calculation." and there was no mention of needing to convocate. The convocation rule has just been added to the manual this year and much too late for grad students to have known that they likely needed to be defending by last April at the latest for their GPA to be included in this application cycle. What is also frustrating is that on Dr. Walker's blog he stated that the reason that they have this rule is because they don't want student's to be rewarded for starting a graduate degree but not finishing it. While I agree that the med schools shouldn't be rewarding such students, unfortunately this policy that you must be convocated and that completion of degree requirements is not enough does not actually accomplish this goal. Laurie Simmonds encouraged me to send an email to U of C outlining why I think that this policy should be changed. I encourage anyone else who feels the same way to do the same. I know it's unlikely that we'll get anywhere with it but it's worth a shot.

Sorry for the long post!

• 4 months later...

wow, i would have been offered admission rite away, and been in res this year, if i applied with this, and was oop, hilarious... i wanted that res too, fell in love, even though it's top ten in n.a. versus what i want now, it was a perfect fit... and i fell in love, now i want number 1, it's not first choice, but **** it, least weathers nicer and approach is similar

you know, when you want something that's a fit, and someone takes it from you, well... md isn't md, and neither is res, even though, well, take what i want, and well, i'll take the best... espec considering it's similar and warmer... and two years, yeah, i've done the checks, everything, try denying me, that paper, well, now i know it's nature worthy, not to mention, a couple books, and well, math, i joke im bad, never really applied myself, and the pubs i have in mind... especially, ideas for how to bypass orbitofrontal loves for wm in adhd... which turn them from pigeon holed test biased assured failures, to creative thinkers, able to link incredible diverse topics... knowing all the neurobio too, behavioral stuff, biochem nutritional needs... no more pigeon holing, ditto for poor kids and esl kids... and no more simplistic linear regressions, seperation of cognitive function, early grouping of behaviorally similar kids in special ed classes, im sorry teachers, inconvenient, non-conformist, unable to follow draconian rules, doesn't make someone stupid, or give you the right to pigeon hole them, and shut up, you have no expertise (with rare exceptions)... and well, knowing everything, behavior psychometrics, biology, subtypes, how to motivate learning... mean, schools gonna have to deal, cause i'm nuts, and passionate... yeah, lol.. steve jobs and einstein, thanks for showing that well, rules, exist, sort of, unless you're willing to work 14 hour days, social life, sleep minimally, i'll do it when im dead... yeah, iuno, if that's encouraging or scary, but live an extraordinary life... seriously...

Now it is:

2 X GPA + MCAT (VR)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...