Premed 101 Forums

Why You Should Choose Western!

What about the 100+ other med students? Where did they match into?

Well, like every medical school, a large chunk (30-40%) of the class will do family medicine. Then there are the internists, the anaesthetists, the rad oncs, etc. My point was really that when you look at the traditional "competitive specialties" we did very, very well.

Edit: Just a note- when looking at CaRMS stats it's important to not only look at what the match rate was, but also what people matched TO. For instance, a school with 100% match rate looks good, but if they all matched to Fam Medicine (not that that's a bad thing, but fam med is considerably less competitive than the other specialties usually) then that is less impressive (IMO) than a school that matches 98% but has a high percentage of very competitive matches.

Hope this is useful for you guys when deciding where to go....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled upon this post quite randomly and, as a fairly recent graduate of another Canadian medical school, cannot help but remind the (perhaps somewhat impressionable) premeds out there to think critically…

I will preface the rest of this message by saying that I have nothing against Western med. At all. It’s probably a great school. That said, the vast majority, if not all, the Canadian med schools are pretty great. Until you have somehow miraculously complete all of them, you simply will not be able to decide that one is better than another, or that one clerkship is “the best”. And even then, it’s mostly subjective.

Every school has its pros and cons. I really cannot stress that enough.

As for the match rate business, the vast majority (maybe even all?) schools have rates between 90-100%. If one school, on one given year, has a match rate of 93%, does that mean it’s not as “good” as a school that has a match rate of 98%? Absolutely not. For e.g., often enough, individuals simply chose to put in tiny rank lists, which the school (despite many attempts to persuade these individuals otherwise) has ultimately no control over. Or maybe a few more individuals were just unlucky (yes, there’s a ton of luck involved)… Really, many other factors come into play that are independent of the quality of education and support you receive from you medical school.

As well, when looking at a list of how many people in a given class matched to competitive specialties, please take into account the size of the class. More importantly still, individual preferences for what residency to pursue is what factors most into the numbers anyways. For e.g., a high percentage of my med school class matched to super competitive programs. I could post the number in an attempt to persuade you that my med school is “the best”. However, this number simply highlights that there were a bunch of people interested in these specialties and dedicated a substantial amount of time throughout their years in med school in pursuit of their goal. Basically, it represents individual preferences, strategy, skills etc. much more so than it represents the actual med school. Sure, my school was great, but if they had gone to another one, chances are they would have matched to their programs of interest as well. Whether one school attracts/accepts "better" candidates than another is also unlikely and difficult to assess objectively, but really that's a whole other topic altogether.

Oh, and one last thing: when someone tells you that any one particular residency program is “the premiere” one, please, please, please take it with a grain of salt. I mean no disrespect to the original poster, and he has every right to be genuinely happy for his class, but again, think critically when making your decisions.

You guys will see all of this for yourselves once you’re already in med school and residency :)

As someone who agonized over which school to chose, I will also tell you to not strain your brain too hard dissecting the pros and cons of each program. Aspects of one school's program that you thought you would like or that were particularly important to you may end up being less relevant once you're actually in med school, while aspects that you didn't like or found inconsequential may end up being what you appreciate the most about where you end up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I was just wondering what "IM" is... does it stand for integrative medicine?

Thanks in advance!!

-12 general surgery matches (in a year where there are no Canadian spots left in the 2nd round)

-2 ophtho

-3 ENT

-3 urology

-6 ortho

-2 derm

-2 plastics

-multiple matches to IM (including a large group to Mac, supposedly the best IM program)

-multiple matches to paeds (including a bunch to Ottawa, the premier paeds program)

Hi there,

I was just wondering what "IM" is... does it stand for integrative medicine?

Thanks in advance!!

internal medicine - things like cardiology, neurology, and other specializations of specific organs or organ systems (ie endrocrinology). You can also be a general internist as well :)

I stumbled upon this post quite randomly and, as a fairly recent graduate of another Canadian medical school, cannot help but remind the (perhaps somewhat impressionable) premeds out there to think critically…

I will preface the rest of this message by saying that I have nothing against Western med. At all. It’s probably a great school. That said, the vast majority, if not all, the Canadian med schools are pretty great. Until you have somehow miraculously complete all of them, you simply will not be able to decide that one is better than another, or that one clerkship is “the best”. And even then, it’s mostly subjective.

Every school has its pros and cons. I really cannot stress that enough.

As for the match rate business, the vast majority (maybe even all?) schools have rates between 90-100%. If one school, on one given year, has a match rate of 93%, does that mean it’s not as “good” as a school that has a match rate of 98%? Absolutely not. For e.g., often enough, individuals simply chose to put in tiny rank lists, which the school (despite many attempts to persuade these individuals otherwise) has ultimately no control over. Or maybe a few more individuals were just unlucky (yes, there’s a ton of luck involved)… Really, many other factors come into play that are independent of the quality of education and support you receive from you medical school.

As well, when looking at a list of how many people in a given class matched to competitive specialties, please take into account the size of the class. More importantly still, individual preferences for what residency to pursue is what factors most into the numbers anyways. For e.g., a high percentage of my med school class matched to super competitive programs. I could post the number in an attempt to persuade you that my med school is “the best”. However, this number simply highlights that there were a bunch of people interested in these specialties and dedicated a substantial amount of time throughout their years in med school in pursuit of their goal. Basically, it represents individual preferences, strategy, skills etc. much more so than it represents the actual med school. Sure, my school was great, but if they had gone to another one, chances are they would have matched to their programs of interest as well. Whether one school attracts/accepts "better" candidates than another is also unlikely and difficult to assess objectively, but really that's a whole other topic altogether.

Oh, and one last thing: when someone tells you that any one particular residency program is “the premiere” one, please, please, please take it with a grain of salt. I mean no disrespect to the original poster, and he has every right to be genuinely happy for his class, but again, think critically when making your decisions.

You guys will see all of this for yourselves once you’re already in med school and residency :)

Thanks for the response.

Yes, which clerkship program is 'the best' is subjective. I simply meant to communicate the fact that while I was on my electives, it was mentioned to me multiple times that people who come from Western are often very well-trained and have a strong reputation

The match-rate statistics are tricky. Certain schools have the majority of their students end up in family medicine, which I think is fair to say is an easy specialty to match to (based on the large amount of unmatched family medicine spots every year). Their match rates will therefore be extremely high. All I meant to say was that my class had a very high match rate while matching to very competitive specialties. Does this make us better than every other school? Obviously not. But I thought it was an interesting point to communicate to people in case they are considering applying for one of the 'competitive specialties'.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
the biggest downside of coming to UWO, of course, is that it is located in LONDON ON.

which, of course is better than Kingston or Saskatoon,

but can't compare with cities like Toronto or Vancouver

that is enough not to pick UWO

I'm from Vancouver, and aside from some personal preferences, I'd rather go over to Queens or UWO than staying here (I've an interview at UBC too btw).

Vancouver is such an over-rated city. Here is what I don't like about it:

1. Sure it's got warmer weather and beautiful days... when it's sunny. Problem is it's 80+% raining/cloudy days from Sept to Apr (which is most of the time that you'll be here for school). Sometimes it's rain rain rain continuously over 1-2 week. I particularly hate the slush we get out of "snowing" in Winter. Just imagine walking through slippery ankle-deep 7-up slurrpy everyday.

2. It's a boring city for students as well. Outdoor activities like jogging/biking can be good if you live near the seawall or a park, but all that needs sunny days. What else would you do when it's not a good day? Movies, eat-out, shopping, bowling, clubbing (if you into it) and that's it. I should think cities like Kingston and London would offer the same things entertainment-wise but perhaps at a smaller number or size (Vancouver only has two or three decent-sized entrainment complex center/block anyways). One good thing about Vancouver is that it's near ski resorts, but that's if you're really into skiing/snowboarding and don't mind it being expensive.

3. Talking about expensive, need I mention that Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada (rent and food etc.)? More so than Toronto i believe.

4. I know every city has it's shady places, but Vancouver has her infamous Downtown Eastside - with HIV (30%) and Hep C (70%) rate as high as Botswana in Africa - it is a crime/drug/mental illness hotspot and the #1 ghetto of North America. Not that it has anything to do with you if you avoid the area, but I find ppl who call Vancouver the most livable place in the world quite blind.

So... overall, Vancouver is a nice place if you visit in the summer months, but during most of the times that school is in session, it sucks!

In case anybody is interested...

SCHULICH MEDICAL GRADUATES RANKED BEST IN CANADA

:rolleyes:

Do you know if it is possible to find the overall ranking list online? I tried to google "Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) overall school scores 2010" but I can't find a cumulative list. The only thing I can come up with is general exam information, and U of S and U of T pdf docs.