Premed 101 Forums

The GPA Thread

It may be helpful to remember that GPA is a very minor part of UofM admissions. The only time it will make a difference is if you are right around the spot on the waitlist where the movement is cut off. Focus on the things you can still influence, MCAT is worth 40% and MMI is 45%.

Thanks for the insight. I decided to apply again.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fellow McGillian I think the whole we take what it says on your transcript as total BS. Why wouldn't they convert the grades to their system. Really doesn't make any sense. I may not even apply just due to this fact.

They should really have a centralized grades system. I wasn't aware they just base it on the transcripts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey guys,

Im from McGill as well.

Found this online where an A would convert to 4.5, A- to 4.0 B+ to 3.5.

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admin/570.html

Hope this helps. and also applies .. lol

Sorry to tell you this, but the application bulletin for faculty of medicine has its own scales. The link above is for graduate studies. I don't think medicine uses separate conversions for people from different universities. It would take forever for them to convert each student's grades. And faculty of medicine is separate from faculty of graduate studies. Here's the list of programs offered by the faculty of graduate studies - medicine is not one of them: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admissions/programs/index.html

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry to tell you this, but the application bulletin for faculty of medicine has its own scales. The link above is for graduate studies. I don't think medicine uses separate conversions for people from different universities. It would take forever for them to convert each student's grades. And faculty of medicine is separate from faculty of graduate studies. Here's the list of programs offered by the faculty of graduate studies - medicine is not one of them: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admissions/programs/index.html

I knew someone got interview invitation for OOP from McGill this cycle, since uManitoba OOP GPA is 4.15 to 4.5 for interview invitation 2014-2015, so McGill's A is converted between 4.15 to 4.5 for sure.

I knew someone got interview invitation for OOP from McGill this cycle, since uManitoba OOP GPA is 4.15 to 4.5 for interview invitation 2014-2015, so McGill's A is convened between 4.15 to 4.5 for sure.

Going to confirm this personally for anyone who wants more confirmation from McGill. With dropped classes I had a McGill 4.00, and if you look at the interim stats for OOP no one had below a 4.15. I would guess they go by that table where a McGill 4.0 = a Manitoba 4.5.

• 3 months later...

@sciencesleeping FYI, the average AGPA for the MB pool for this year's interview invitees was 4.15 according to the published statistics, which is a lot higher than your current AGPA. Just remember that interview offers are given in January so your winter course GPA won't be included in your AGPA. In my opinion, I would take some summer courses to boost your AGPA, if you haven't already signed up for them. The following term, I would take as many fall courses as you can handle and try to bump up your AGPA to possibly 3.85; enough to get you an interview with the MCAT operative score you have, I think. Remember, an interview invite is based 25% on AGPA and 75% MCAT for U of M.

During the winter break, try to get ahead with your interview prep (ie. read 'Doing Right' and other medical ethics materials, form a collaborative prep group or join a premed society, write down and try to reflect on experiences you've had, such as volunteer, work, med trips, etc, that can be mentioned during the interview).

Just focus on getting your GPA up to around 3.85. Your MCAT operative score is fine (don't retake unless you're applying elsewhere)

Good luck.

oops my bad haha. I think you should still get an interview with those stats though I'm not a 100% certain. If you retake your MCAT this summer and get anything close to an 10.8-11 operative score, then I think you will get an interview for sure.

If you were open to the idea, you could try applying to US MD and DO programs as your stats are good enough for many of them (US GPA: 3.7+, MCAT: 29+). Applications for US med schools begin on June 1.