Premed 101 Forums

The GPA Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
:confused: If I'd be applying as IP with a 3.96 AGPA, would this be considered competitive to get in with an MCAT if it were over 30? Would it be worth it to take an extra class to bump my AGPA to 4.02 for when I apply to UofM for 2011?

I don't think its a bad idea to take a course to bump your AGPA to 4.02. I'm not sure what the statistics are for IP applicants who get accepted to Manitoba but I would DEFINITELY apply with your AGPA and an MCAT over 30. I was just browsing the Accepted/Rejected/ Waitlisted Thread and quite a few IP applicants got in with AGPAs less than 3.96.

I would say you have a good shot at getting an interview!

Good Luck!

I'm OOP from SFU and I'm having difficulty doing the GPA conversion. SFU grades on a 4.33 scale as such:

A+ 4.33 goes to UofM 4.33/4.33 = 100% = 4.5

A 4.0 goes to UofM 4.0/4.33 = 92% = 4.5

A- 3.67 goes to UofM 3.67/4.33 = 85% = 4.0

B+ 3.33 goes to UofM 3.33/4.33 = 77% = 3.5

B 3.0 goes to UofM 3.0/4.33 = 69.3% = 2.5/3.5

Once I drop my lowest 30 I have:

A+ 34 credits

A 23 credits

A- 14 credits

B+ 28 credits

B 13 credits

I don't know how to value the A-? If I do it by percentage (aka 3.67/4.33 = 85%) then it is a 4.0? I'm really stuck on the conversion because best case scenario is 4.05/4.5, worst case was around 3.75/4.5.

I have a 39P which converts to a 12.5 on the MCAT section meaning in that sense that I am competitive, but the aGPA will be a big decider. Does anyone have any insight on how my GPA would look after conversion?

I'm OOP from SFU and I'm having difficulty doing the GPA conversion. SFU grades on a 4.33 scale as such:

A+ 34 credits

A 23 credits

A- 14 credits

B+ 28 credits

B 13 credits

I don't know how to value the A-? If I do it by percentage (aka 3.67/4.33 = 85%) then it is a 4.0? I'm really stuck on the conversion because best case scenario is 4.05/4.5, worst case was around 3.75/4.5.

I have a 39P which converts to a 12.5 on the MCAT section meaning in that sense that I am competitive, but the aGPA will be a big decider. Does anyone have any insight on how my GPA would look after conversion?

At UManitoba, A+'s are 4.5, and both A's and A-'s are 4.0. B+'s are 3.5, and B's are 3.0. That's pretty clearly laid out in the application bulletin. Also, it looks like you might be doing the credit/credit-hour conversion incorrectly, since you can't really have anything other than multiples of 3 for your number of credit hours at UManitoba (except in very limited, rare cases). So without knowing your correct numbers of credit hours for each grade type, it's impossible to calculate your aGPA.

At UManitoba, A+'s are 4.5, and both A's and A-'s are 4.0. B+'s are 3.5, and B's are 3.0. That's pretty clearly laid out in the application bulletin. Also, it looks like you might be doing the credit/credit-hour conversion incorrectly, since you can't really have anything other than multiples of 3 for your number of credit hours at UManitoba (except in very limited, rare cases). So without knowing your correct numbers of credit hours for each grade type, it's impossible to calculate your aGPA.

Hey Switcheroo,

From the bulletin I have accessed on UManitoba's website, it says:

100 – 90 A+ 4.5

89 – 80 A 4.0

79 – 75 B+ 3.5

74 – 70 B 3.0

69 – 65 C+ 2.5

64 – 60 C 2.0

59 – 50 D 1.0

Which doesn't have designation for a A-'s which was my initial query. Do you have access to a more informative info sheet? Also, at my school credits may be viewed differently since we have 2, 3 and 4 credits classes, so my totals won't necessarily be multiple of 3.

Hey Switcheroo,

100 – 90 A+ 4.5

89 – 80 A 4.0

79 – 75 B+ 3.5

74 – 70 B 3.0

69 – 65 C+ 2.5

64 – 60 C 2.0

59 – 50 D 1.0

Which doesn't have designation for a A-'s which was my initial query. Do you have access to a more informative info sheet? Also, at my school credits may be viewed differently since we have 2, 3 and 4 credits classes, so my totals won't necessarily be multiple of 3.

More often than not A- corresponds to a 80-84 in my experience. So I think that would be a 4.0 on the Manitoba scale

A+ 34 credits

A 23 credits

A- 14 credits

B+ 28 credits

B 13 credits

Switcheroo is right. A-'s are a 4.0. B-'s are 3.0, same as B's.

If your school gives out letter grades on your transcript, ignore the percentages listed in the bulletin (those are to demonstrate equivalents for schools that don't have letter grades). Don't use your schools grade point values to figure out your UManitoba aGPA. Use the the UManitoba grade point values associated the letter grades (counting A-s as 4.0) you got.

Hey Switcheroo,

100 – 90 A+ 4.5

89 – 80 A 4.0

79 – 75 B+ 3.5

74 – 70 B 3.0

69 – 65 C+ 2.5

64 – 60 C 2.0

59 – 50 D 1.0

We use credit hours here, not credits. A full-year course is 6 credit hours, a half-year course is 3 credit hours. A good way to tell if your school uses a similar system to ours is to just look at how many credits you need to complete a degree. At UManitoba, 90 credit hours = 3 year degree, 120 credit hours = 4 year degree.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like this scale really hurts anyone on a 4.0 scale.....we don't have a mark for over 90% at McGill, an A is the highest.....so theoretically the highest anyone from here could have on their aGPA is only 4?

the only positive is that an A- (80-85) is still considered an A but looking at stats doesn't look too good if the highest I can get is 4 (which I won't have).

Sorry just blabbering but are others wondering the same thing?

• 2 months later...
I feel like this scale really hurts anyone on a 4.0 scale.....we don't have a mark for over 90% at McGill, an A is the highest.....so theoretically the highest anyone from here could have on their aGPA is only 4?

the only positive is that an A- (80-85) is still considered an A but looking at stats doesn't look too good if the highest I can get is 4 (which I won't have).

Sorry just blabbering but are others wondering the same thing?

that is true. So, if you have A-'s and A's you have 4.

All A-'s is 4.

All A's is 4.

I'm also from Mcgill but my aGPA was greater than 4 due to my AP scores (a 5 in an AP exam gives you 4.5)

But it still sucks that they calculate aGPA that way

• 1 month later...

It's funny you mention McGill. I REALLY need info on this. I'm in my first year at McGill, and it's reallly hard to maintain straight A's here, never-mind the fact that we don't have A+'s.

My aGPA here would obviously be lower than if I were to go to say, Lakehead, or even an in province school.

Does the University take this into account in final selections? I know I may be hindered for the GPA category, but this is only 15 percent of the overall score. I'd love to hear opinions on this. People have said to me "you're from McGill, you'll have no problem getting in". Obviously this isn't true.

What I basically need to know is, not counting MCATS, the interview, references, or even the GPA, how much of an impact does coming from McGill have on your chances of getting in?

Thanks

What I basically need to know is, not counting MCATS, the interview, references, or even the GPA, how much of an impact does coming from McGill have on your chances of getting in?

If by this you mean how much is the prestige of attending an undergraduate school like McGill factored into your application? Diddly-squat.

Its in the application, not the pedigree.

It's funny you mention McGill. I REALLY need info on this. I'm in my first year at McGill, and it's reallly hard to maintain straight A's here, never-mind the fact that we don't have A+'s.

My aGPA here would obviously be lower than if I were to go to say, Lakehead, or even an in province school.

Does the University take this into account in final selections? I know I may be hindered for the GPA category, but this is only 15 percent of the overall score. I'd love to hear opinions on this. People have said to me "you're from McGill, you'll have no problem getting in". Obviously this isn't true.

Thanks

0 impact.

:)

So you better do really well on your MCAT (I think a solid 40T would do it LOLL jkjskjsks)

I think since Manitoba doesn't look at your ECs a lot (only volunteering experience but only rural), if you want to go to manitoba, you should start getting involved in rural areas.

Also, getting a solid MCAT score is IMPORTANT (greater than 36R would give you an interview) and from there you could practise a lot for the MMI.

Plus the OOP waitlist for Manitoba is rumoured to move well so once you do the above, you have some chance at getting in.

Is this correct? :)

From http://www.umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf:

"The coefficient assigned to rural attributes results in a weighting factor of no greater than 13%."

Not sure if that means it can multiply your total MCAT/AGPA/MMI score by a maximum of 1.13 or it can add a max of 13/100 to your total score.

Rural work experience is looked at as well.

Hi there..

I did my undergrad degree at Bishop's University, which comprised of 120 course credits in 4 years.

Lectures were worth 3 credits and labs were only worth 1 credit, which is a pain, because 3 lecture credits was for 3 hours, but 1 lab credit was for at least 3, sometimes 5 hours, weekly.

Could someone please tell me how this will affect my aGPA calculation?

Also, my major was biochemistry, and as such, many of my classes had biochem course codes. If I have one low biochem mark is it not possible to swap it for a higher mark, or must ALL biochem marks be used? IE, is there no maximum of biochem marks that can be counted for?

ALSO, I have just completed a research based MSc. and am waiting to hear back about a publication. I understand that courses taken during an MSc are not used in the aGPA, but I am wondering if someone can tell me how much weight, if any, is added for having a MSc, as well as a first author publication. I know that some schools, for example, give a PhD student 0.03, while a MSc student will get an extra 0.01 weighting.

Finally, if anyone knows, what ratio of class students come from basic or clinical research backgrounds?

Thanks in advance!

JC

From http://www.umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf:

"The coefficient assigned to rural attributes results in a weighting factor of no greater than 13%."

Not sure if that means it can multiply your total MCAT/AGPA/MMI score by a maximum of 1.13 or it can add a max of 13/100 to your total score.

Rural work experience is looked at as well.

I wish they did that for Ontario schools...

Hi there..

I did my undergrad degree at Bishop's University, which comprised of 120 course credits in 4 years.

Lectures were worth 3 credits and labs were only worth 1 credit, which is a pain, because 3 lecture credits was for 3 hours, but 1 lab credit was for at least 3, sometimes 5 hours, weekly.

Could someone please tell me how this will affect my aGPA calculation?

Also, my major was biochemistry, and as such, many of my classes had biochem course codes. If I have one low biochem mark is it not possible to swap it for a higher mark, or must ALL biochem marks be used? IE, is there no maximum of biochem marks that can be counted for?

ALSO, I have just completed a research based MSc. and am waiting to hear back about a publication. I understand that courses taken during an MSc are not used in the aGPA, but I am wondering if someone can tell me how much weight, if any, is added for having a MSc, as well as a first author publication. I know that some schools, for example, give a PhD student 0.03, while a MSc student will get an extra 0.01 weighting.

Finally, if anyone knows, what ratio of class students come from basic or clinical research backgrounds?

Thanks in advance!

JC

If your lab courses were designated 1 credit courses, they'll be evaluated as just that regardless of the number of devoted hours per week. As for your biochem courses, whichever course(s) is/are being used to fulfill UofM's 6 credit biochemistry requirement will be the ones that must be included in the AGPA calculation - the rest of your biochem courses wouldn't have to be included if they were amongst your lowest 30 credits. You may want to check with admissions to see what happens if you have multiple courses which could be used to fulfill this requirement.

No weight is given for a Master's as far as I know. You would likely be credited for the pub, but I'm guessing the extent could vary with things like the reputation of the publisher of your paper, importance of the paper, etc.

I haven't come across any UofM matriculant undergrad background stats but maybe someone else has?