Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

You spend too much time explaining. I think it is pretty succinct and to the point. Less Canadians apply mean more chances for Canadians who went into DO route to have even higher chances of matching into Canadian residencies. Actually, if I were selfish, I would prefer no more Canadians apply until we got our spots in Canada.

Actually, I think that you misunderstood Mash's point. S/he is saying:

A) if you can't quite make it into US/Canadian allopathic schools

B) you would like to do residency/practice in the US

C) you don't mind the DO title

. . . then DO is a good option.

The advantage is that you can match in the US match as a US grad, rather than as an IMG.

A DO grad doesn't have a good chance of matching in the CaRMS match (for various reasons). If you really want to match in Canada (and it sounds like you do) then you should try very hard for Canadian, US MD, Irish / ?Australian (Irish CaRMS match rates are apparently quite good, I don't know about Australia's rates).

But if you would be happy matching/practicing in the US, then the DO degree has the advantages that Mash points out above.

Good post. Basically, the debate continues. Like English med, I also interviewed and was accepted to DO schools but opted for Irish/Oz Md program. As was stated, all the Canadian applicants for DO must reflect on this route. I completely understand Mash's perspective, the more you talk about it, the more your internalize and rationalize the route yourself, which is completely fine. You know the pro (matching in the USA as a native) but must understand the cons. The DO route will make coming back to Canada very very difficult for residency (i have spoken to many docs who know about the residency process and have echoed this time and time again). But if you would like to settle in the USA and know that for certain then by all means go for it. Just don't fall into the trap that if you don't get an MD residency you can fall back on DO ones, because I have spoken with agencies including the American Osteopathic Association and they have even stated that very very few DO residencies if any sponser visas.

In Canada, the country where the degree is attained and actual degree is very important in addition to board scores and ref letter. I like to think of it as the opposite of the States where getting into med school is very holistic (Canada it is strict numbers driven), Canada tends to be a little more holistic in residency and curriculm of school and nation definately do matter (hence the high match rate for Irish grads), in addition to having an opportunity to do clinical exams in Irish/Oz schools that are identical to those in Canada.

The USA and carrib are different in that years 1 and 2 are completely core sciences driven (and systems) with a little bit of standardized patient work. Canadian, European and Oz schools are different in that there is a much larger emphasis on clinical work in addition to the core sciences in years 1 and 2.

Guest tongtongcuty

Hi, I think you misunderstand my poorly phrased sarcasm. What I am trying to say is Mash did a good job in explaining everything, and there is no need to try to persuade everyone who opposes the idea; since less Canadians apply, there will be less competition for the Canadians who went to the DO route into matching Canada's residency.

Actually, I think that you misunderstood Mash's point. S/he is saying:

A) if you can't quite make it into US/Canadian allopathic schools

B) you would like to do residency/practice in the US

C) you don't mind the DO title

. . . then DO is a good option.

The advantage is that you can match in the US match as a US grad, rather than as an IMG.

A DO grad doesn't have a good chance of matching in the CaRMS match (for various reasons). If you really want to match in Canada (and it sounds like you do) then you should try very hard for Canadian, US MD, Irish / ?Australian (Irish CaRMS match rates are apparently quite good, I don't know about Australia's rates).

But if you would be happy matching/practicing in the US, then the DO degree has the advantages that Mash points out above.

Guest tongtongcuty

As far as I know, the rule for including DO into the whole matching system has recently been revised and it is now officially confirmed. The rule for BC changed last Aug and the rule for ON changed this Jan.

The link for DO wanting to return to BC for residency and after residency is here:http://www.osteopathic.bc.ca/

Going into Carribean, or europe is only good if you are US citizens and applying residency in the states. For Canadians, going there means IMG, and need to sign ROS. I don't want to live in Saskatchewan for 5 yr after residency. Even so, the matching number for IMG into Canada is abysmal.

The only viable route and more realistic is if you go to IMG route, apply to US and come back later.

Good post. Basically, the debate continues. Like English med, I also interviewed and was accepted to DO schools but opted for Irish/Oz Md program. As was stated, all the Canadian applicants for DO must reflect on this route. I completely understand Mash's perspective, the more you talk about it, the more your internalize and rationalize the route yourself, which is completely fine. You know the pro (matching in the USA as a native) but must understand the cons. The DO route will make coming back to Canada very very difficult for residency (i have spoken to many docs who know about the residency process and have echoed this time and time again). But if you would like to settle in the USA and know that for certain then by all means go for it. Just don't fall into the trap that if you don't get an MD residency you can fall back on DO ones, because I have spoken with agencies including the American Osteopathic Association and they have even stated that very very few DO residencies if any sponser visas.

In Canada, the country where the degree is attained and actual degree is very important in addition to board scores and ref letter. I like to think of it as the opposite of the States where getting into med school is very holistic (Canada it is strict numbers driven), Canada tends to be a little more holistic in residency and curriculm of school and nation definately do matter (hence the high match rate for Irish grads), in addition to having an opportunity to do clinical exams in Irish/Oz schools that are identical to those in Canada.

The USA and carrib are different in that years 1 and 2 are completely core sciences driven (and systems) with a little bit of standardized patient work. Canadian, European and Oz schools are different in that there is a much larger emphasis on clinical work in addition to the core sciences in years 1 and 2.

I am confused because yes as a whole the IMG rate is bad but then as someone posted (and I have heard it many times) the rate of Canadan Irish students matching back is great (over 75-80%) with the balance pretty much going to the states and a few students staying back in Ireland.

I am confused because yes as a whole the IMG rate is bad but then as someone posted (and I have heard it many times) the rate of Canadan Irish students matching back is great (over 75-80%) with the balance pretty much going to the states and a few students staying back in Ireland.

Well, you can either believe in publically available data published by CaRMs and the NRMP, or you can believe in unsubstantiated anecdotes from individuals and from this forum at your own risk.

CaRMS has the data on the Irish schools (separated out from the rest of Europe) and has confirmed that they do show this information to the Canadians studying in Ireland during their tours of the Irish schools (although it's not posted on their website in that format).

If you contact CaRMS and make a polite request (as I did) they will likely provide some information to you (as they did me). If you've got a hospital email address, use it. Long story short, CaRMS says that in 2010 the matching rate for Canadians studying in Ireland *who applied* was in excess of 75%. (I don't know what percentage of Canadians studying in Ireland applied to the CaRMS match).

I've pm'd you the contact info of the CaRMS person I got this info from. I strongly recommend that you verify this (and all) info before you make any expensive decisions.

PS: I'm in a Canadian med school. I don't have a dog in this fight :)

CaRMS has the data on the Irish schools (separated out from the rest of Europe) and has confirmed that they do show this information to the Canadians studying in Ireland during their tours of the Irish schools (although it's not posted on their website in that format).

If you contact CaRMS and make a polite request (as I did) they will likely provide some information to you (as they did me). If you've got a hospital email address, use it. Long story short, CaRMS says that in 2010 the matching rate for Canadians studying in Ireland *who applied* was in excess of 75%. (I don't know what percentage of Canadians studying in Ireland applied to the CaRMS match).

To those researching into all these different routes, I would strongly encourage you to find out the actual number of Canadians at Irish schools that applied for CaRMs, as well as the total number of Canadians in these schools + number of Canadians who are graduating and are in need of a residency spot this year. As of right now, without a solid numerical number of applicants, the success rate of 75%+ is pretty meaningless. For instance, in 2010, 39 Canadians at Australian schools applied to CaRMs, while 25 made it into a Canadian residency. So from these numbers, the CaRMs folks could have made the statement that "this year, the matching rate for Canadians studying in Australia *who applied* was in excess of 64%". The devil is in the details - a 25 match rate out of 39 really isn't impressive at all considering the sheer number of Canadians in Australia who are graduating this year (multiple times the number of 39 who applied).

For instance, in 2010, 39 Canadians at Australian schools applied to CaRMs, while 25 made it into a Canadian residency. So from these numbers, the CaRMs folks could have made the statement that "this year, the matching rate for Canadians studying in Australia *who applied* was in excess of 65%".

Well, actually, it's in excess of 64%.

Well in the caper document something between 80-90 or somthing close to that students from Ireland matched in Canada. If there are like 100-110 Irish grads applying each year and maybe 5-10 who did an intern year in Ireland and are a year older applying, the numbers quoted do make sense.

Well in the caper document something between 80-90 or somthing close to that students from Ireland matched in Canada. If there are like 100-110 Irish grads applying each year and maybe 5-10 who did an intern year in Ireland and are a year older applying, the numbers quoted do make sense.

Do you have a link to that source? I thought the consensus was that Canada JUST has barely enough residency spots for their own CMGs. How can this huge number of 80-90 Irish grads (who are IMG by the way, which means they match in 2nd round for the most part - also as a comparison, the entire NOSM only has 80-90 seats a year) so easily get offered Canadian residencies? 80-90 Irish graduates would be equivalent to an entire Canadian med school the size of NOSM. From the people I've talked to, after the first round, all the spots are basically gone (maybe 3-4 left in some primary care residencies - not to mention that you'll be BOUND as an IMG by the government for FIVE years - basically they can sent you anywhere deemed "underserved"). So if you are forced to start the matching process in the second round (as is the case for IMGs), you are basically screwed. I'm just very skeptical at these Irish numbers. It goes against everything my experience tells me and what I've come across over the years. Something fishy is going on here.. My spidie senses are tingling.

Do you have a link to that source?

http://www.caper.ca/docs/pdf_2009-10_CAPER_Census.pdf

I think the datum being discussed is that in 2009/2010 there were 95 grads from Irish schools currently undertaking residency in Canada (i.e. R1-R5). You can look up any country individually (e.g. 62 residents had trained in the US, 65 had trained in the UK, 59 from Australia, 19 from St. Kitts/Nevis, etc. etc. - it begins on page 50).

http://www.caper.ca/docs/pdf_2009-10_CAPER_Census.pdf

I think the datum being discussed is that in 2009/2010 there were 95 grads from Irish schools currently undertaking residency in Canada (e.g. R1-R5). You can look up any country individually (e.g. 62 students were from the US, 65 were from the UK, 59 from Australia, 19 from St. Kitts/Nevis, etc. etc. - it begins on page 50).

Just to make sure we are all on the same page here, the data lists the TOTAL number of Irish med graduates doing their residencies in Canada (PGY1,2,3,4,5,x) in 2009-2010? NOT that in 2009-2010, 95 Irish grads made it into Canada for residency (PGY1 ONLY)?

Interesting so its all residency years. Despite that the numbers are good and one must realize that a certain percentage of each class choose to go to the states as they want to specialize in something very specific. In regards to the underserved, you have to realize that fm for instance, in ontario, regions that are like 30 mins from Toronto are considered underserved.

In regards to matching, there are a whole bunch of spots that are allocated for IMGs specifically to match into. If you fail to match in that you can try for the states (which is after), then the second iteration (which is what is left over from the first iteration).

Just to clarify then for DO, there have only been two residents who ever matched in Ontario, they matched in the second iteration and must do Return on Service, you can't match in alberta unless you are a resident of the province and the other provinces don't acknowledge DOs for residency. As a result, you really only have a reasonable shot at BC in the first round. BC as you know has a large population and only one med school with a limited amount of residency spots proportionally. It is very difficult for DOs/IMGs and even American MDs to get a residency in BC (only 1 DO has been successful a few years back in FM after a few years of trying).

Canada

Ireland-Based on what was quoted 75-80%

Australia-64% (small sample size)

DO-N/A at this point

USA

MD residency for DO graduates-67% (according to NRMP)

DO residency-N/A for Canadians as the vast majority don't sponser visas

Ireland-If someone can comment that would be great-I have heard anywhere between 80-95%

Australia-If someone can comment that would be great

What that page says is in TOTAL, there are 95 Canadian graduates of Irish medical schools currently doing their residencies (Post Graduate Years 1,2,3,4,5,x). This data really isn't impressive at all. I think some of you guys are really reading into these numbers, and are seeing connections that really DO NOT EXIST. This means just that, that only 95 Irish grads are currently in Canada doing their residencies. If you divide 95 by 5 years, the average Irish grad in each year of Canadian residency is around 19 or so (which makes more sense imho considering the limited number of Canadian residency spots (especially for IMGs) each year). It's probably more correct to say that on average, +/- 19 (maybe upwards to 30-40?) Canadians from Irish schools make it back to Canada.

Also, why would you feel that this number "95" be a good safety net? I mean look at the numbers of Canadian graduates of Indian, Egyptian, Pakistani med schools. Currently, there are 135 Canadians from Indian schools doing residency in Canada, and there are 83 Canadians from Egypt, 152 from Iran, and 93 from Pakistan. I mean holy geez, you guys must look at these numbers OBJECTIVELY. There are MORE CANADIANS FROM INDIA/IRAN THAN FROM IRELAND, SO WHY DON'T YOU THINK THAT GOING TO INDIA OR IRAN WILL GIVE YOU A HIGHER CHANCE OF DOING RESIDENCY IN CANADA?

This information only makes me think that the DO route is even better in comparison.

IMGsinCanada.jpg

Interesting so its all residency years. Despite that the numbers are good and one must realize that a certain percentage of each class choose to go to the states as they want to specialize in something very specific. In regards to the underserved, you have to realize that fm for instance, in ontario, regions that are like 30 mins from Toronto are considered underserved.

In regards to matching, there are a whole bunch of spots that are allocated for IMGs specifically to match into. If you fail to match in that you can try for the states (which is after), then the second iteration (which is what is left over from the first iteration).

Just to clarify then for DO, there have only been two residents who ever matched in Ontario, they matched in the second iteration and must do Return on Service, you can't match in alberta unless you are a resident of the province and the other provinces don't acknowledge DOs for residency. As a result, you really only have a reasonable shot at BC in the first round. BC as you know has a large population and only one med school with a limited amount of residency spots proportionally. It is very difficult for DOs/IMGs and even American MDs to get a residency in BC (only 1 DO has been successful a few years back in FM after a few years of trying).

Canada

Ireland-Based on what was quoted 75-80%

Australia-64% (small sample size)

DO-N/A at this point

USA

MD residency for DO graduates-67% (according to NRMP)

DO residency-N/A for Canadians as the vast majority don't sponser visas

Ireland-If someone can comment that would be great-I have heard anywhere between 80-95%

Australia-If someone can comment that would be great

First of all, WHAT is so bad about doing a US MD residency??? Can you give me some objective reasons as to why you would prefer Canadian residencies over US ones? The founder of premed101 - Ian Wong, is doing a US RESIDENCY. He had to write the USMLEs AND the MCCQEs. Quite frankly, he should be an inspiration to us all. It's NOT like if you did a US residency, you'll be stuck there forever. Geez, I wrote this many many times. You can do a US residency, then you can do the 3rd pathway in Ontario, or meet the licensing requirements for the other provinces and be a licensed doc in Canada (and still be a DO). With the new laws - the Canadian Standard - if you are licensed in ONE province, you are licensed in ALL provinces/territories. Quite frankly, the simpliest route to come back is probably the Ontario 3rd pathway. Some people just want the best of absolutely everything.. I mean if you did apply for Ireland/DO, it probably means that you tried MD and couldn't get in. So now, you basically have to pay a price to still be a doctor in North America. The price of Caribbean/Ireland/Australia is that you'll be an IMG. For DO, this price you pay will (for some) be doing a US residency (which I don't think is bad at all since a lot of Canadians actively seek it)

Where did your 67% for DOs matching into MD residencies come from? The actual rate for DOs matching into US MD residencies is almost 75%. Also, if Mourning cloak's numbers are correct, that 75% of Canadian grads of Irish schools made it back, and from the estimate above that maybe 20 or so Canadians actually did make it back a year.. What's the total number of Canadians who did bother to apply for CaRMs this year? - something like 25 - 30 (maybe 40?) if you really wanted to be generous. This number 25-40 is basically on par with the Australian numbers (39 apps, 25 accepts).. which really isn't impressive at all.

Whether I do FM in Canada (BC basically), or anything else in the US, I'll be happy with whichever. A lot of Canadians REALLY have reservations about living and working in the US. I find this very amusing.. I've travelled all over the world, and the consensus is that to live in AMerica is a beautiful thing. Some people from less fortunate countries spent entire life times trying to somehow live and work in the US. I mean just look at all the illegal immigrants (mostly Mexicans in the US south..) I think what we have here is a difference in value and how we perceive the world (I've been through a lot, and I've seen immigrants with their foreign PhDs rejected in Canada because they are basically the IMGs of other sciences.) So I'm very VERY cautious regarding anything that has to do with getting a "foreign" degree. It just makes me sad that so many Canadians who never experienced being an immigrant and never experienced getting their credentials rejected so hastily rush over seas for their medical education and not realize what a quagmire you'll get into.

Nice post haha. Okay look everyone has their opinions on this issue of Ireland/Oz versus DO. If what has been stated that 65-70% of US DOs get allopathic residencies (I think I have seen these number before), it is very surprising. If I recall about 93-95% of US MD student get residency their first time. Why is there such a discrepancy, if the education is the same. Personally, I am very curious to know the answer? Do DO schools not prepare enough for the MLE and are geared towards the COMLEX (I though both exams were similar)? Does it come down to the calibre of applicants selected as DOs to this day have an overall lower MCAT and GPA requirement from most MD schools? If Mash you can comment on this, I am sure many are wondering the same.

At the end of the day everyone has their own opinion. As a DO, you must do a MD residency in the USA as a Canadian. If you can't do the boards or end up on the wrong end (33% or so) who try but don't get the MD residency, then you are in a problem. For Irish MD, the overall path is a little harder but you have more options. You have a very good chance at Canada. If you do the MLEs you can try to states. If not that then maybe get an intern year in Ireland, can try England, South Africa or even Australia (its getting harder each year though).

Choose what makes you happy and a degree you would be proud of

Nice post haha. Okay look everyone has their opinions on this issue of Ireland/Oz versus DO. If what has been stated that 65-70% of US DOs get allopathic residencies (I think I have seen these number before), it is very surprising. If I recall about 93-95% of US MD student get residency their first time. Why is there such a discrepancy, if the education is the same. Personally, I am very curious to know the answer? Do DO schools not prepare enough for the MLE and are geared towards the COMLEX (I though both exams were similar)? Does it come down to the calibre of applicants selected as DOs to this day have an overall lower MCAT and GPA requirement from most MD schools? If Mash you can comment on this, I am sure many are wondering the same.

More like 68% - 72% of DOs go to MD residencies in the US. The discrepency exists because 1) DO schools teach you to pass the COMLEX exams, DO students study for the USMLEs on their own for the most part.

2) The vast majority of DOs are US citizens, so they don't have any visa issues as Canadians, so they can choose AOA (DO) residencies with no problems.

3) AOA residency match results come out BEFORE MD ones, so the reason you see a 25.9% withdraw of DOs from MD residencies is probably because they got into AOA residencies already. The same reasoning goes for CMG MDs who apply for US MD residencies. CaRMS match rate come out before ACGME ones, so you also see a huge 36.4% withdrawal rate for the CMGs.

I really wouldn't be worried about the "calibre of DO students". Look at it this way: MDs only have to write the USMLE 1,2,3 (and the MCCQE 1,2 if want to come to Canada). DOs have to write the COMLEX 1,2,3 and USMLE 1,2,3 (to maximize their chances in the States), as well as the MCCEE, and MCCQEs 1,2 (right there). Right there, DOs have to write NINE board exams (or 6 if they stay in the US), vs 5 board exams for the MDs. If anything, DOs go through a much more vigorous screening process than their MD counterparts. Heck, if I were a patient, I would trust the doc that got the most screening before they were allowed to practice.

DOmatch.jpg

At the end of the day everyone has their own opinion. As a DO, you must do a MD residency in the USA as a Canadian. If you can't do the boards or end up on the wrong end (33% or so) who try but don't get the MD residency, then you are in a problem.

That statement really has no significance at all. That's like saying, if you went to Irish MBBS (NOT MD), you better make sure you are not in the **supposed** 25% or so that didn't match into Canada (or you'll be screwed by the 40% IMG match for US ACGME residencies. Or, if you went Australian MBBS (NOT MD), you better make sure you are not in the 35% who didn't match into Canada (with a 39 applicant sample size.. really??), or you'll be in a world of trouble too. Either place you go, you can potentially end up not matching. So this little bit is up to the individual, and has NO BEARING on where he/she went for school (except that you should know OVERALL, DOs have a much better chance for the US ACGME match than IMGs).

For Irish MD, the overall path is a little harder but you have more options. You have a very good chance at Canada. If you do the MLEs you can try to states. If not that then maybe get an intern year in Ireland, can try England, South Africa or even Australia (its getting harder each year though).

You mean Irish MBBS (NOT MD). Please remember that you'll be getting the MBBS in Ireland NOT the MD. It is PHILOSOPHICALLY THE SAME AS THE MD, BUT NOT A MD DEGREE. I'd hate to see you still think you'll be getting the "MD" in Ireland even up to the day you fly there...

As for Ireland having a "good chance" at Canada, that is still up in the air. Did you see my previous post? Currently, 95 Canadian Irish grads are doing residency in Canada (in PGY1,2,3,4,5,x). If you divide 95 by 5 years, the average Canadian per Canadian residency year is around 19. So on average, approximately 19 or so Canadians make it back to Canada from Ireland. I wouldn't exactly call those "good numbers". In the likely chance that you DON'T match into Canada as an Irish IMG, you'll have to try the States.. then you'll have a first hand taste of what matching with a 40% success rate as an IMG really feels like...

You can go to England, South Africa, Australia for whatever you want. But HOW will that help you come back to North America?

Give me something worth commenting on when you guys have found some numbers of the same caliber as the 68% - 72% DO match into MD residencies I gave you - freely published for all the world to see.

You guys have YET to give me any solid numbers THAT IS PUBLISHED FOR ALL TO SEE that shows that the Irish / Caribbean /Australian schools have significantly better match rates (no, these 30-40 applicant match rates from Ireland/Australia do not count) for their students compared to (say) the DO route. (I don’t trust these personal emails with questions and answers because I’ve done this before, and quite frankly, I usually get false information – I mean just look at the instance where the CaRMS people mistaken told me that DOs do not need to write the MCCEEs (I was incorrectly geedy for days as a result!). Otherwise, I really don’t feel that these anecdotes of "so many Canadians came back from Ireland" is worth my time commenting on anymore. - look at my previous post, you'll see that there's actually MORE Canadian graduates of Indian, or Pakistani, or Iranian, or Egyptian MEDICAL SCHOOLS currently doing residency in Canada, THAN THOSE WHO RETURNED FROM IRELAND! I don't see any of you flocking over to Iran, India, Pakistan, Egypt to start med school now, do I?

IMGsinCanada.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I just finished orientation, white coat ceremony, and first week of classes! Here are some interesting developments.

1) During orientation, I ran into the "Executive Associate Dean" of COMP. He was hired 3 months ago. We got talking, and I found out that he was actually born in Toronto! So the executive associate dean of COMP is a Canadian! (probably a US/Canadian dual citizen). I got his business card, and he said that I looked like I am from Canada lol...

2) 4th year electives - THERE ARE CANADIAN SITES!!! I almost fell off my chair when I saw that news... I'll email around and find out exactly where these Canadian sites are...

3) There actually isn't that many Canadians in the 2014 DO class. There's me, my friend, and a girl from Manitoba.

4) Entrance average for the 2014 class - 3.58 cGPA on the AMSAS scale. 9.3 average on each section of the mcat (~28 MCAT). The entrance requirements definitely seem to be increasing each year!

5) COMP got ranked #21 in the entire nation (US) for "social mission" of medical school! This is the highest ranking in ALL the medical schools in California, and the HIGHEST ranking for ALL the DO schools! The ranking was done by the Annals of internal medicine - this is huge news!

This was the email I got: **An Annals of Internal Medicine article recently ranked COMP 21st among U.S. medical schools for “social mission.” This ranking was the highest for any osteopathic medical school in the nation, and was the highest for ALL medical schools in California. The article, rankings, and WesternU’s press release, which was distributed nationally today, are attached to this e-mail. Congratulations to COMP!**

Here's some images (if you want the full document, give me a PM)

internalmed.jpg

and

ranking2.jpg

Interesting Post. I know Michigan State is very well respected and was in the top 10 for primary care in the US when I was accepted there. I am surprised you don't have more Canadians because on my interview day there were a few other Canadians from BC and Alberta and in speaking to theml later, we all were successful in gaining admission.

In terms of an update from Carms, I inquired about the DO route and they said this year for the Canadian DOs that applied to carms, none were successful in matching from their knowledge. So once again remember, DO is a good route for the USA, not so much yet for Canada so know what you want as your end plan. If you end up doing residency in the states+DO and board exams, odds are you prob won't want to take the hastles of returning. As a side note, reputable IMG schools will give you a shot at Canada (its tough no doubt) with a very good chances at matching in the states. I know Ireland has like a 70%+ match rate in Canada (heard this from Carms themself) and it seems that others have posted similar things.

Hey Mashmetto, are you living in Pomona because when I visisted it wasn't the 'California city you envision on television'? Are you living in the Chino Hills area? Just curious where all the western students live because there is no housing at all near Western or in Pomona really right?

Interesting Post. I know Michigan State is very well respected and was in the top 10 for primary care in the US when I was accepted there. I am surprised you don't have more Canadians because on my interview day there were a few other Canadians from BC and Alberta and in speaking to theml later, we all were successful in gaining admission.

In terms of an update from Carms, I inquired about the DO route and they said this year for the Canadian DOs that applied to carms, none were successful in matching from their knowledge. So once again remember, DO is a good route for the USA, not so much yet for Canada so know what you want as your end plan. If you end up doing residency in the states+DO and board exams, odds are you prob won't want to take the hastles of returning. As a side note, reputable IMG schools will give you a shot at Canada (its tough no doubt) with a very good chances at matching in the states. I know Ireland has like a 70%+ match rate in Canada (heard this from Carms themself) and it seems that others have posted similar things.

Hey Mashmetto, are you living in Pomona because when I visisted it wasn't the 'California city you envision on television'? Are you living in the Chino Hills area? Just curious where all the western students live because there is no housing at all near Western or in Pomona really right?

There's apartment complexes right next to comp, but I live in Claremont, a couple miles away. I know some other Canadians in Claremont and Chino Hills. Did they mention the total number of DO applicants? I know there were around 35 US applicants this year, I would imagine that the majority would be MD graduates. Will you be attending MSU/Comp? Or maybe you want to do the IMG route? And o, the email I got seems to have made a mistake. Michigan State got ranked 1st among the DO schools, COMP got ranked second. They probably confused Michigan State for a MD school with a similar name.

MSU COM, the DO school was in the top 10 for primary care in USA in the past with 9 MD schools, but I don't think was there this year. After alot of thought, I have opted for the IMG route, like a few others on the forum because DO just doesn't have a strong hold in Canada yet. Other than a private practice (hard to do at first and need lots of start up capital), it will be very difficult to get a job in a hospital and even harder to get the foot in the door into a Canadian med school to teach, do research, if that is something that becomes of interest in the future. The one or two DOs in Canada that do have hospital privileges have it in very small rural locations. I know the perception is many Canadians don't know about DO but premeds are smart the majority I have met who are in Ireland, Australia looked into but opted against it. DO is the route for some, but must be carefully considered.

In terms of electives in Canada, no matter where you go you can do them. In terms of COMP and other DO schools, when I emailed the electives offices at Canadian med schools the majority had no idea what DO was, I think 1 or 2 did(UBC was one, prob had 1-2 COMP students in the past). The majority said that a decision would be made by a committee in the near future, but stated not to be optomistic as preceptors would be hestitant to take on such students here.

MSU COM, the DO school was in the top 10 for primary care in USA in the past with 9 MD schools, but I don't think was there this year. After alot of thought, I have opted for the IMG route, like a few others on the forum because DO just doesn't have a strong hold in Canada yet. Other than a private practice (hard to do at first and need lots of start up capital), it will be very difficult to get a job in a hospital and even harder to get the foot in the door into a Canadian med school to teach, do research, if that is something that becomes of interest in the future. The one or two DOs in Canada that do have hospital privileges have it in very small rural locations. I know the perception is many Canadians don't know about DO but premeds are smart the majority I have met who are in Ireland, Australia looked into but opted against it. DO is the route for some, but must be carefully considered.

In terms of electives in Canada, no matter where you go you can do them. In terms of COMP and other DO schools, when I emailed the electives offices at Canadian med schools the majority had no idea what DO was, I think 1 or 2 did(UBC was one, prob had 1-2 COMP students in the past). The majority said that a decision would be made by a committee in the near future, but stated not to be optomistic as preceptors would be hestitant to take on such students here.

ic, ya, it really depends on the person, where they ultimately want to end up and what they wish to do with their medical degree. My hunch is that people who prefer to live in the US over Canada would be just fine with the DO profession. The Canadians I met are happy with the decision they made in coming to a DO school, and of course they would be happy, since they are here. Equally, Canadians who went overseas would be happy there too, since they made that choice. Also, outside of BC/Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised that med schools wouldn't know what DOs are. The schools you contacted that had no idea what a DO was, and would be hesitant to take on DO students - those don't happen to be in BC/Ontario (for the most part) right?

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic