Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

13 hours ago, uam said:

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

It hasn't changed anything, since residency was pretty similar for both, once you're done residency, the requirements to come back are same for USMD and USDOs or residencies that were historically from either side, you sill have to do the exams etc or do the supervised practice route. I am also pretty sure it hasn't changed the status of medical students applying for residency, USDO are still classified as IMGs.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, uam said:

It wouldn't affect your chance of coming back to Canada at all. Once you've graduated from an ACGME residency, you'll be able to apply for a license in Canada by virtue of having graduated from an ACGME residency and meeting provincial requirements. Whether you fit the criteria to get your license is another matter entirely.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew about the importance of letters of recommendations. I haven't spoken to my undergrad science profs in years and I feel like the only thing they can base their recommendation on is how I performed in their class. I am hoping to speak to them one on one so they can get to know me a little bit better, but I am just a little worried about this part. 

I also wanted to know if its okay to apply at the end of May/ early June. I know the applications are open on May 5th but I am currently finishing up my graduate studies and won't be able to submit my application that early. And what chance do you think I have: my GPA for science and cumulative is around 3.55 and my MCAT is 511. 

17 hours ago, backpacks1 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew about the importance of letters of recommendations. I haven't spoken to my undergrad science profs in years and I feel like the only thing they can base their recommendation on is how I performed in their class. I am hoping to speak to them one on one so they can get to know me a little bit better, but I am just a little worried about this part. 

I also wanted to know if its okay to apply at the end of May/ early June. I know the applications are open on May 5th but I am currently finishing up my graduate studies and won't be able to submit my application that early. And what chance do you think I have: my GPA for science and cumulative is around 3.55 and my MCAT is 511. 

I'm assuming that 3.55 is your undergraduate GPA, as graduate GPA is not considered. That's really low for Canadians applying USMD. The advice is always to apply as early as possible, if you can apply early then send in your grad transcripts when you get them that would be better. And LORs are fairly important, you will need the minimum in terms of undergrad professors, if you are a ways out from undergrad just get ones to check the box but you'll need good letters from your graduate supervisor and other people who can talk about you better.

Overall, I feel chances of admission for you is relatively low with a 3.55, and adding on a later application and maybe not great LORs. Of course I don't know anything about your circumstances, ECs, research etc. so that could all be palliating factors.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, bearded frog said:

I'm assuming that 3.55 is your undergraduate GPA, as graduate GPA is not considered. That's really low for Canadians applying USMD. The advice is always to apply as early as possible, if you can apply early then send in your grad transcripts when you get them that would be better. And LORs are fairly important, you will need the minimum in terms of undergrad professors, if you are a ways out from undergrad just get ones to check the box but you'll need good letters from your graduate supervisor and other people who can talk about you better.

Overall, I feel chances of admission for you is relatively low with a 3.55, and adding on a later application and maybe not great LORs. Of course I don't know anything about your circumstances, ECs, research etc. so that could all be palliating factors.

damn is that really that low? I was going to apply this cycle with a 3.59 cGPA, with an upward trend which I know they care about... hope it works out for me

Again, you need the MSAR which gives you an idea of the 10% gpa of matriculates at US schools if you have a strong upward trend it’s better than the same gpa without an upward trend but it’s not worth that much unless you had a 2.0 first year then a bunch of 4.0s. Canadians need better stats than their American colleagues to get into USMD. Classically those stats were still less than what was needed for Canadian md, especially with a strong mcat. But the GPA arms race marches on

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, uam said:

The merger will improve your odds of coming back to Canada. The royal college only accepts ACGME residencies of equal or greater length to be the equivalent of Canadian training. They royal college does not accept AOA residencies as equivalent to Canadian training, regardless of length.

With the AOA/ACGME merger all of the previously AOA accredited programs will now become ACGME, substantially increasing the number of ACGME residencies that would allow you to come back to Canada. Many of the previous AOA programs will maintain their DO preference despite achieving ACGME accreditation. Overall, the AOA/ACGME merger will make coming back to Canada easier by virtue of making it easier to match into an ACGME accredited residency.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions. Firstly, my stats are cGPA 3.85 with a 506 MCAT. My EC's are unfortunately quite poor compared to most applicants as it seems - 200 hours of hospital volunteering (HELP program), 50 hours of Alzheimers society volunteering, family business (7 years), and then a list of about 5 clubs I was part of during my undergrad, no research or shadowing. I have an MD + 2 Science LORs. My list of schools I am applying to are Arizona COM. ChicagoCOM, KCOM, LMUCOM, MSUCOM, Touro COM, UNECOM, and Western COM. 

1. What are my chances for USDO?
  2. Is North Texas Canadian friendly? Should I apply?
  3. I plan to have my primary submitted by May 25th. Is that considered early enough to increase my chances?
  4. Regarding the previous posts on this thread, is there a merger happening between USMD and USDO?

I can't answer number 1 but for the other questions:

2. AFAIK, none of the Texas schools are friendly for americans, even private ones like Baylor (I know it's MD but yeah Texas tends to only favor Texans). According to this website, you will not be eligible to apply this year (must be either green card or US citizen) https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-college-of-osteopathic-medicine/admissions-and-outreach/admissions-requirements-and-selection/

3. DO schools are generally more lenient towards submitting late, but I think it's still good to have it submitted early, which I think May 25th is quite early.

4. There's no merger between USMD and USDO schools. BUT, there was a merge of USMD and USDO residencies which has led to all residencies being ACGME-accredited. So if you go to an ACGME-accredited residency, you can still return to Canada (barring a few specialties where you might need to do more years or not recognized).