Premed 101 Forums

Pre-med Frequently Asked Questions

tooty

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have a question about Athabasca marks. How do they translate into GPA i.e. for York (where I go) 80%-89% = 3.8 GPA but for most schools 80%-84.9% = 3.7 GPA and 85%-89% = 3.9 GPA. So my question if I got an 80% and 89%, would that count as 3.8 GPA for each of 3.7 GPA and 3.9 GPA, respectively? I know in this specific situation they would translate to be the same, but I am asking in general.

I will confirm with schools in case, but I am wondering if anyone knows already. I could have sworn I myself asked the same question on the forum, but I can't find it lol.

Thanks!

Most Canadian schools use the OMSAS scale when looking at your undergraduate grades. If you attended a school that uses %, they will convert it to gpa on a 4.0 scale. Just google OMSAS gpa conversion

The same goes for universities that use A+, A, etc, right?

Quick question. I'm going to select my courses soon for first year undergrad. I looked at the registration guide provided by the university, and it says a typical full course load is 2.5 per term (which equals 5 courses). So each year I will be taking 10 courses which is 5.0 per year.

I assume this is what med schools consider as a full-load?

Okay. Thanks for the answer. Another question. Seems like some courses have a lecture along with a tutorial component. I have no idea what tutorials are but wikipedia says "students receive direct feedback on their weekly essays or work in a small discussion setting."

So, should I put a tutorial after a lecture in my schedule? Or the other way around?

Also, another big question. I'm having trouble deciding how my schedule should look like. Not in terms of choosing the courses but the timing. Is there is a time when its better to have all classes finished by and start by? I really hated the schedule in high school so maybe taking a few hours break after a specific time and having a class at like 5 or 6 might be a good idea.

(Actually, some schools deem anything more then 3 out of 5 courses/semester as a full course load. But most refer to 5 out of a possible 5 to be "full").

Tutorials are supplementary hours - you attend so that the TA (teaching assistant) can help you better understand what's not covered in lectures. Remember that university lectures can proceed at a very fast pace, so any questions that you may have, you can direct them to your TA, where the setting is likely to more intimate and conducive to getting some 1 on 1 time. Depending on the type of course, tutorials are also sessions during which the teacher hands out extra homework for you to do, or when he/she explains the answers to the previous week's homework/labs/problem sets. It's also a time during which assignments/tests/essays are better explained, and yes, often when you can hand things in.

Don't do what I did, and treat them lightly. A good relationship with your TA can steady you, particularly if you attend a big school. That said, depending on the class/type of tutorial it is, and depending on your learning environment, you may be able to/choose to forego attending or w/e, to use your time more wisely - do that only when you have a good grasp of what the course is like.

There is no right or wrong answer on when to do tutorials. Logistically doing them right after (or even before) a class might work better. You're already on campus and have your giant textbook on you, etc. If you like to space out your learning (ex. devote a little bit of time for each course, spread out throughout the week), then a tutorial time NOT near lecture time might help keep tabs on your 'spaced out' schedule. Maybe some others can weigh in on this.

No optimum time, but some prefer morning classes, others afternoon. Evening times 5 or 6 work great for me because then I really prepare for them during the day. Again, if others weigh in, great. Otherwise, select a variety of times that may work for you, and use your 1st semester to better see what you should and shouldn't do when planning for future semesters. Sorry for longwinded answer but best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

How late is a submission coming in now for my AMCAS application?

I understand all schools of choice don't have to be chosen the same date you submit, but am I already at a loss for the initial submission?

I have been waiting for reference letters and essentially thinking I can prolong it since they are rolling applications.

thansk for your guidance in advance

I was just wondering if a person with 3 years of completed full course terms (5 credits) applied to uoft medschool do they only look at the GPA of the 3 fully completed years or would they also add in another year where he completed 3.5 credits in a year ?

Are all years part of the same program?

• 4 weeks later...

This is a stupid question but I just wanted to be absolutely sure: to calculate your cGPA, you first convert each grade according to OMSAS GPA (half credits counting once and 1.0 credits counting twice), add everything you have up to now and divide by the total number of credits?

This is a stupid question but I just wanted to be absolutely sure: to calculate your cGPA, you first convert each grade according to OMSAS GPA (half credits counting once and 1.0 credits counting twice), add everything you have up to now and divide by the total number of credits?

yup

10 char

• 3 weeks later...

Just to verify, you guys would not recommend getting involved at all during first year (or at least first semester) to see how I manage the academics?

It's just that I keep getting emails from the university about getting involved and the different opportunities available. I feel like I will miss out, but again people here stress the academics and say there is always time for ECs. I'm concerned that I will need to be volunteering for years and years at the same place in order for the EC to be med-school worthy (because I'm leaving for another city).

Just to verify, you guys would not recommend getting involved at all during first year (or at least first semester) to see how I manage the academics?

It's just that I keep getting emails from the university about getting involved and the different opportunities available. I feel like I will miss out, but again people here stress the academics and say there is always time for ECs. I'm concerned that I will need to be volunteering for years and years at the same place in order for the EC to be med-school worthy (because I'm leaving for another city).

minimize it just keep to 1 or 2 groups

Get academics under control first as your priority. Only afterwards, begin to spread your wings. And NO distractions until you have a proper handle on academics, this includes staying away from anybody needy or who is a distraction and not supportive. The transition can be brutal, there are lots of temptations out there and YOU need to make decisions in your own best interests. See link in my signature below.