Premed 101 Forums

Pre-med Frequently Asked Questions

tooty

Are individual grades scrutinized? Or is it just the overall GPA they will look at? Rough semester 1 but my GPA boosting class did its job and the GPA I got (though I feel like I don't deserve as a science major) would be quite different without it.

They look at everything- your GPA, but also your grades, the courses that you took, and, if publicized, the average marks in those courses. Everything you submit is going to be looked at. Generally, the file reviewers will look at general performance. One class that you do badly in won't do much damage, but if you do badly in many, that will be a problem. Similarly, if you have a good GPA but it's obvious that it's boosted by easy courses (and believe me, it's obvious- remember that the people going through these applications are smart, they've been to various universities, and they likely have friends who studied in multiple universities, so they can often ask- what's the reputation of this course at this university?), that will hurt you. Taking obviously easy classes will hurt you unless you also take hard ones and do well in those.

They also look at trends- so if someone did poorly in first year, but improved every year since then, that won't count too much against you as long as you did well from then on. Remember that they don't look at marks in isolation. But if you have 2 candidates who are identical with the exception of one having done better in 1st year than the other, and performed similarly in academics from 2nd year onwards, the one who did better in 1st year will still have an advantage.

Can I get a quick EC evaluation, I have 1 more year until I apply

So far:

Teach Kids Brazillian Jiu Jitsu: 3 hours, 4x a week, past 2 years

Teach Adults Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: 90 minutes, 3x a week, past 2 years

Coach MMA Fighters: Weekly hours depends on time of the year, a few hundred overall over the past 2 years.

Food Bank: about 100 hours over the past year

Female Equality Group: 20 hours a year, past 3 years

I took care of a terminally ill family member for 12 hours a day, 6 months, but I am reluctant to include that.

I'm considering shadowing a doctor this summer, and hopefully research next summer. I'm not sure what kind of things I should be looking into. I've got the "interesting" ECs covered, and those ECs are time consuming, but I feel like I'm way behind other people in terms of ECs.

Advice?

• 5 weeks later...
Posting this here because it is an excellent resource.

As of 2013 it has all the application requirements/admissions stats for all the Canadian med schools.

http://www.prep101.com/mcat/wp-content/uploads/Medical_School_Seminar_012013_UPDATEDFINAL.pdf

Just as an addendum, OMSAS posts their applicant numbers and registered students numbers online: http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/med_app_stats/

~15% of people applying end up getting in.

• 5 months later...

I don't really have a specific question on statistics or anything like that. But I've been finding it extremely difficult to deal with the stress of multiple applications alongside the pressure to do well on interviews compounded with everything else in life. Any tips/ advice on how to effectively deal with this? I've always been really good at managing my schedule and all that, but these last six months have just been incredibly difficult to deal with emotionally.

I don't really have a specific question on statistics or anything like that. But I've been finding it extremely difficult to deal with the stress of multiple applications alongside the pressure to do well on interviews compounded with everything else in life. Any tips/ advice on how to effectively deal with this? I've always been really good at managing my schedule and all that, but these last six months have just been incredibly difficult to deal with emotionally.

Have you done interviews last cycle or are you talking about looking ahead at interviews and trying to prepare for that. If it is the latter, don't worry about it just yet, you will have loads of time. I literally had 12 days to prepare for my UofT interview and I still ended up being accepted, there is only so much preparation you can do.

Last year was fairly intense, it is a lot of things to juggle and I don't think there is a magic formula to do well and cope with it. I think that the best way to cope is to not get obsessed with the application cycle and to go on with your life (which is really hard).

Have you done interviews last cycle or are you talking about looking ahead at interviews and trying to prepare for that. If it is the latter, don't worry about it just yet, you will have loads of time. I literally had 12 days to prepare for my UofT interview and I still ended up being accepted, there is only so much preparation you can do.

Last year was fairly intense, it is a lot of things to juggle and I don't think there is a magic formula to do well and cope with it. I think that the best way to cope is to not get obsessed with the application cycle and to go on with your life (which is really hard).

It's my first time doing it all. (I applied to Alberta last year, but I didn't really take it seriously). It's just really difficult not to look at all of this as if it is somehow my "last chance" especially with this being my last year in undergraduate. Thanks for the advice and encouragement about the interview! It's difficult to prepare for something like that if you are constantly also trying to do well on midterms and keep up ECs. But your experience definitely makes it sound a lot less daunting and more attainable 

It is way too early to start thinking about interviews, you will have such a high from receiving an interview that you will be motivated to our the effort into the preparation. Furthermore you can't be sure that you will get an interview and if you start preparing now and screw up your Gpa because you are neglecting course work to prepare, you will be much worse off.

My advice is to stop thinking about the application cycle until January, there is nothing that you can do until then anyways that will beneficial!

It is way too early to start thinking about interviews, you will have such a high from receiving an interview that you will be motivated to our the effort into the preparation. Furthermore you can't be sure that you will get an interview and if you start preparing now and screw up your Gpa because you are neglecting course work to prepare, you will be much worse off.

My advice is to stop thinking about the application cycle until January, there is nothing that you can do until then anyways that will beneficial!

If I get even one interview, I will dance in the middle of Toronto's Eaton Centre and tape it for premed101. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi 

I am about to start my third degree to get into medical school. I live in Toronto, have masters degree and undergrad degree in engineering. 
Which program and which school do you suggest that I go for?
I have heard that Kinesiology program at York is a good choice. Has anyone heard about the science programs in Ryerson?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi I really need help I reside in Alberta and I got accepted into three universities University of Lethbridge, University of Calgary and Mount Royal University. All for Bachelor of Science(Biological Science) I am so confused on what school to go for my undergrad. Thank you

Hi I really need help I reside in Alberta and I got accepted into three universities University of Lethbridge, University of Calgary and Mount Royal University. All for Bachelor of Science(Biological Science) I am so confused on what school to go for my undergrad. Thank you

I think there are a few factors you should look at:

1. Program- the undergrad programs are relatively the same for different universities, but still do your research.

2. Opportunities- some schools provide students with more opportunities for research and EC involvement, which is also dependent on the school's location

3. Location- See which location works best for you. Do you want to live at home and commute or live on/off campus? 

4. Expenses- Calculate the potential expenses such as moving, renting, commuting, tuition, etc. 

5. Campus- Campus tours can really help you finalize the decision if you can see yourself fitting in or not.

During your studies, you might find interest in something other than medicine, so make sure you keep that option open.

GPA is key, and so are ECs. Good luck with making the decision! 

Have you been able to tour the schools?

Do you have any friends that currently go to any of the schools?

Before I chose my undergrad, I actually spent a day on the campus and explored. I wanted to see if I felt at home there. 

I know some MRU programs have ridiculous class requirements that wouldn't be helpful for med school. But At the same time U of C has some courses that are notoriously harder. 

U of C has big classes, but don't let that deter you! The professors are easy to talk to, and willing to make time for you outside of class. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey guys! I'm a current family medicine resident, and graduate of med school in 2016. I have a 30 page guide of everything you need to know to get into Canadian medical schools. Here's the table of contents!! Let me know if you're interested by emailing medschoolexpert@gmail.com! 

Only 10$ :) 

B

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 3.29.12 PM.png

10 hours ago, blingbling said:

no you can't/shouldn't. 

Not necessarily true! Personal experiences may vary, but I abbreviated quite a few words, used symbols ('&') in order to stretch my ABS word count, and I received 6 interviews across Canada.