Premed 101 Forums

Cegepiens, Eng. & French, who need to choose an undergrad program leading to medicine

Hey Guys,

Not everybody from Cegep will get into medicine at Laval, Sherby, UDEM or med-pre at McGill.

And those not getting in will need to apply for undergraduate studies and eventiually apply to medicine (or pharmacy or dentistry, etc).

You can go to McGill, UDEM, Laval, etc. and take a highly difficult course of studies in some sexy program where high grades will be extremely difficult no matter how much you study, and you won't necessarily be competitive in terms of ranking with your peers in the same program.

Some students thrive on looking for prestige in terms of university and course of study, thereby earning bragging rights, but perhaps, little else.

The B. Sc. Exercise Science Program @ Concordia is an EXCELLENT route to obtain a shot into medicine or other competitive health related programs! This is fact.

Many of you may have done poorly in Cegep. You will now have a second chance to wipe out your low and non-competitive Cegep grades and to transform from an academic ugly duckling into a swan. It has been done and many from the Concordia program have gone into medicine!

However, there is a caveat. Although B's are relatively easy to obtain in this program, A's require consistent hard work throughout the program and those who work hard and smart receive them - and there professional dreams come true.

Moreover, Concordia has Specialization Programs that I urge you to consider to make you even a better candidate.

I am currently still in my first semester of CEP so I may not be able to give as good of a feedback just yet, but here is my take on the program so far.

It is exactly as f_d has advertised, in the sense that it is not a difficult but nor it is an easy program. The material is by no means difficult, but the volume is heavy. The exams vary amongst profs, some profs give straight forward exams while a few others like tricky questions. The classes are dynamic and fun. If you like anything related to med then you will definitely enjoy the material since a lot of it relates to medicine in one way or another. In order to do well you will probably have to put about 40hrs + a week in this program. There are many great resources available to aid with learning. The learning lab for example, is a place where all exercise science students meet to practice anatomy and other courses that have practical components, such as taking blood pressure. The profs are friendly and very approachable if you have any questions, they are always there to help so that's definitely a plus.

Anyways, so far that is about as much info as I can give, If you have any questions feel free to post a reply or send me a PM. :)

Not an easy program. If you do not intend to study and be at the top of your game, pick a different degree. The material is very interesting, which would aid in sparking your interest and devotion to the courses. I do not know of any other programs at concordia that teaches as much about the human body as exercise science, specifically clinical exercise physiology. While the bio students are learning about plant biology and physiology, we are learning human physiology and anatomy which is very interesting. The lab gradings can be subjective at times. The exams are all multiple choice and straight forward (most of the time). The teachers are nice and bump everyone up, thus the average is high. For example, if you got a 79.1 or 84.1 you would be bumped to 80 and 85, so in that aspect it is very nice.

But yea going back to my main point, do not expect to breeze through this program as if it is a joke, cause it really isn't. Expect to work like you have never worked before, it is not an easy program, many people end up failing or dropping or switching programs. This program is also one that gets harder with each semester, in the second year you have your internship as well as exercise physiology, which is supposed to be one of the harder courses of the program ( the teacher apparently does not believe in A's from what other students have told me ).

Overall, if your a hard worker and can adapt well, then this could potentially be the path for you. If you expect to coast by and breeze through this program without much effort, than do yourself a favor and look somewhere else, or your grades will pay the price.

A friend of mine told me that this program is considered "an endurance program", in the sense that the material is not hard but you have to keep working. Its the equivalent of running a mental marathon if you will, you have to pace yourself and keep working hard and never give up.

Here is a description of my first year in exercise science :

each semester is about 15 weeks. Make sure to push yourself to your limits during those 15 weeks, and once you have reached your limits, exceed them and push yourself beyond said limits. Do not go home with feelings of woulda, shoulda, coulda. Sure, it may not be a pleasant 15 weeks :), you will be tested mentally, physically and emotionally on levels you could not of even imagined, but if your serious about your goals and aspirations, and want them at any price, then it is up to you to give everything you have and more and to make it happen. Make sure to look back at the end of the semester, and be able to say to yourself, I did the best I could. This is exactly what I did in my second semester and I feel it payed off.

- Be organized, many people could do much better had they been a bit more organized. Plan yourself a schedule of what your going to study tonight or the next day or for your entire week. Plan studying for exams 1 week in advance.

- Avoid cramming. Some people in my program will attempt to show off and claim they only study the night before, but in reality they study as much as I do or more! What I do usually is I plan my studying ahead, lets say I have an exam on Thursday, I will start some light reviewing on the weekend prior and then gradually increase my studying hours on the upcoming exams with each day until the exam day.

- Lab exams, practice practice and practice some more. Practice at home, practice at the learning lab, watch youtube videos on taping, anatomy and e.t.c

Extra Tips :

Scheduling : Making a perfect schedule is an integral part of doing well. Plan your schedules in such a way that it works in your favor. Schedule anatomy labs on thursdays so that your tag test is on the last day of the week. Thursday's group always does the best. For the CATA labs try to have them on either wens/thurs/friday's, its good to have them late as well, more time to practice. Physiology and 252 labs, doesn't matter when you do them, there is not much benefit to doing them later.

Get to know your teachers : Don't be afraid to ask them questions about lectures, projects, assignments and e.t.c and getting to know them is also very important. As a result, the teachers will realize that your a motivated student who takes studying seriously and is interested in learning.

Picking Electives : Pick good electives! Pick an elective that is known for being at the very least a guaranteed A- and more importantly pick an elective that is going to reduce your workload.

Skipping Class : For some lectures, the teacher will basically just read off their slides and the exam questions will be questions on the slides/notes. In such cases, skipping the class to go practice for a lab exam or studying on your own might be a more efficient use of your time. Overall, skipping classes and learning by yourself can work very well, but make sure you know what to expect from the teacher on his exams, and make sure you know you will be able to study efficiently at home.

Final Exams : You will most likely have 3-4 final exams back to back and they will not be easy! Best way to prepare for this is to study in advance way before. If you plan your schedule 1-2 weeks in advance and plan how much your going to study while increasing your study time for 1 course as the exam for that course approaches you will increase your odds of doing well in that course while having studied a bit for the other ones as well. Unfortunately, luck does also play a big part in this. Sometimes it does not matter how much you studied, if the material you studied does not show up on the exam then good game. The key is to study as much as possible so this way you have more odds of being asked something you know :).

Overall, I felt as if my second semester was more about learning than it was about memorizing. As you get closer and closer to the end of the semester, you will have more work to do with much less time, so it is up to you to be efficient and use your time well. I remember for my anatomy final I did not have much time to study. I had 1 day to review everything and to learn 2 chapters from scratch. Instead of memorizing 50 pages of notes, I decided to understand the material instead of memorizing and it helped out a lot. The way to do this is to somehow logically link the new material you learn to older material in a way that it makes sense.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: The Concordia Exercise Science Program - provided you are prepared for self-sacrifice, capable of discipline, focus, prioritization of your time, can control your stress level, you remain motiviated throughout, demonstrate an extremely hard work ethic and avoid distractions - will make your dreams come through for medicine.

AND for those students graduating from high school in other provinces, who come to Montreal for a year without going into full time studies, then go to Cegep and Concordia will likely end up at McGill in medicine as IP in Quebec.

Go to the search function and write in "exercise science", click on "Show Posts" and then "Go", you will find the information.

Hey guys,

I am from Quebec and went to Marianopolis. I totally messed up my CEGEP and ended with a r-score of around 24. Now I’m doing my undergrad in exercise science at Concordia. I just finished my first year (winter admission) with a GPA of 3.94 on 4.3 scale or 3.8 on 4.0 scale. :) Luckily, I just learnt that I can erase my CEGEP grades after 50 credits in the 3 french speaking universities. I think I am back on track! Muchas Gracias!

I will admit that I was talking about exercise science and other programs without actually knowing what they are about. Although, its hard not to believe the pretty common chatter among all science students that biochem harder than physio which is harder than kinesiology etc...

it is true that one can coast thru this program and not fail whereas one cannot do that in biochem or molec. bio. and expect to pass. However, the coasters are coasters taking up space and helping to pay the profs' salaries; they certainly are not med school material.

Those aiming for med work their @$$e$ off continuously and work harder than any biochem honours student to achieve their consistent As. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, the A students walk into medicine and taking the clinical specialization, not only do they reinforce forever the theoretical knowledge learned, they gain great communication skills with the patients, which can only be beneficial for the MMI and for medicine.

The common chatter is from the uninformed

You assume, falsely so, that exercise science is easier than whatever you consider "harder courses" by which you mean biochem/physics/immunology.

Let's explore it. In exercise science one studies, amongst others, biomedical ethics; emergency care; human anatomy: musculo-skeletal human anatomy (the musculosketal system and accompanying circulatory and neurological systems; human anatomy II: systemic anatomy with major focus being the anatomy of the central circulatory and central respiratory systems, and it also addresses the anatomy of the brain and spinal column as well as the integumentary, digestive, and urogenital systems; human physiology I: the neurological, bio-energetic and endocrine systems; neuro control of human movement; biomechanics of human movement; human physiology II: the cardiovascular and respiratory systems; physiology of exercise with special emphasis on examinig the functional capacity of the cardiovascular, rrespiratory, neuromuscular and endocrine systems to acute exercise; pathophysiology in clinical exercise: reviews pathophysiology, medical intervention techniques, and medication profiles of the most common neuromuscular and orthopeadic diseases and disabilities; clinical exercise physiology internship I: participate in physicial activity programming offered to special populations, e.g., working with chronic elderly patients with neuro and motor dsyfunctions stemming from strokes, Parkinsons, MS, etc., under supervision, with goal to giving them greater mobility; pathophysiology in clinical exercise II: review pathophysiology, medical intervention techniques, and medication profiles of many common diseases and disabilities such as diabetese, heart attack victims and the obese, helping them develop a preventative exercise regime to prolong their lives and promote healthy living, etc.

There are numerous other courses. I would hardly characterize any of the above as "easy" or equivalent to basket weaving in science. On the contrary, these courses are very demanding and probably more demanding than those courses you characterize as "hard".

Moreover, these courses and internships give vital knowledge, techniques and skills required of physicians. Those who obtain straight As in this program of study go into medicine and are sought after!

We each come to the table with different skills, knowledge, backgrounds and we take different paths to the same goal. The O.P. has the potential of being an excellent candidate and it is so really unnecessary to try to knock him off his feet. Why try to ridicule him with your comment, your "Oh I did mech. eng, then some exercise science, now wanna be doctor wheee". What will that accomplish?

ADDENDUM:

The Exercise Science Program has now become very, very competitive and is no longer in the hidden backwaters where it remained. My having raised a curtain on the program here could have been a contributing factor to the increased popularity. In the circumstances, the academic strength of the applicant pool will determine the academic requirements for entry each year that will fluctuate accordingly.

a1b1 is now in med school.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure about this. I actually don't know anyone in my class that has an Exercise Science degree from Concordia.

There are, however, a ridiculous number of people with Physiology degrees from McGill.

In the end though, just choose what interests you. There's a girl in our class that did a degree in Drama, a few people that have Business degrees, a couple in Math, Engineering etc.

Just find something you are interested in and know you can do well in. In the end, it's only the GPA that matters.

I would like to also ask, if we are expected to do physical activities in this program?

No. If you do a specialization, then you are involved in 2 interships in your specialty, e.g., sports, clinical and you are involved in physical activities.

The fact there there may not be med students from this program at McGill at the moment does not speak to the fact that program graduates have been and are in Quebec medical schools.

The fact there there may not be med students from this program at McGill at the moment does not speak to the fact that program graduates have been and are in Quebec medical schools.

True, but you can't blatantly say that Exercise Science at Concordia is the BEST way to get into medicine if there aren't even any students from this program in McGill med (well in my year anyway).

I'm sure it's a great program and if people take it and do well, then for sure they'll have a good shot at medicine. But I wouldn't go and say that it's the BEST....that's implying that the majority of people in med school in Quebec (non-premed route) are graduates of this program....which is not true.

I know it's hard to believe but they really only look at your GPA.

True, but you can't blatantly say that Exercise Science at Concordia is the BEST way to get into medicine if there aren't even any students from this program in McGill med (well in my year anyway).

I'm sure it's a great program and if people take it and do well, then for sure they'll have a good shot at medicine. But I wouldn't go and say that it's the BEST....that's implying that the majority of people in med school in Quebec (non-premed route) are graduates of this program....which is not true.

I know it's hard to believe but they really only look at your GPA.

I am glad this thread brought you back to post in the forum after such a long absence.

On the contrary, a tiny minority of students go to med school using this route. I certainly did not state or imply that the majority of people in med school in Quebec (non-CEGEP) are graduates of this program, this is your misinterpretation and putting words into my mouth that were just never there.

If that were to be the case - and it definitely is not (at least, we agree on that) - the program would be extremely well known. This is not the case either, nor did I state or imply that this program is well known. It is not!! It is not ranked in MacLean’s or anywhere else. So, you are skating on thin ice on this one. ;)

So, let's leave at "it is a great program, a relatively unknown program, in which student with a consistent work ethic can achieve As, which leads to med for those desiring this path”. You excelled in the biochem undergrad program at McGill and you are to be congratulated. This program permits those who cannot excel in biochem to excel in this program and receive a good grounding for med provided the students are prepared to work their @a$$e$ off throughout the program to obtain their As. And as most students obtain Bs, the fact that the med applicants have outdistanced their peers within the program make them even more competitive for the French speaking medical schools in Quebec.

You cannot blatantly say that just b/c there are no students from this program in your class this means there are no students from this program in medicine.

The program is relatively unknown, the McGill elitists in science programs generally look their nose down at Concordia and for those who are aware of this program specifically, they think it is the equivalent of basket weaving (I have already had this debate with a McGill science undergrad and won recently), and I am bringing this program to the specific attention of Cegepiens for their consideration in making the decision of which university to attend and what program to follow.

I know it's hard to believe but for McGill, they look at much, much more than just GPA, but you know this well already with your accomplisments on the ice. And it is more complicated than just an excellent GPA for the French speaking med schools, which I am sure you know also, GPA is just one factor in assessing your academic competiveness.

We are on the same team to inform our members.

BTW, as a McGill med student, you might want to review my new thread @ McGill Forum discussing MMI Prep and add your own comments to it.

PEACE

Every Cegepien applying directly to med needs a Plan B, every Cegepien going to undergrad needs a Plan A for their route to med and a Plan B, should they not make it.

This is a viable approach that 95% of Cegepiens never heard of. This is now the season for applying to undergrad. So, I am letting Cegepiens know what is out there for their own information in making their decisions that hopefully will lead to medicine. That is all. It is quite simple. Timing! Everybody will now make their own informed decision. And those with medicore Cegep results will have a second chance to become A students.

This is a self-help forum. We exchange information, our opinions, our experience, our suggestions for the benefit of others. What I am doing is not "so unusual".

Last year, I shared my MMI Package which thousands have. This year, I have created an enormous 2 post thread on MMI Prep that is a Sticky @ Medical School Interviews Forum to pass valuable advice to Interviewees in a timely manner. Why? So it has the widest possible readership for the benefit of our membership. This too is not unusual. I am simply sharing important information with the members who need to have this information at this time. I do this regularly in all matters and when I am challenged, this is a valuable opportunity to discuss in public the issues raised. Public debate makes us all better informed.

I consider that I am promoting the welfare of the membership in what I do. I am paying forward. And each member, having their own autonomy and free will, shall make the best decision for themselves. Many make the mistake of going for the ivy league, for prestige and bragging rights with friends and family; all of this is illusory and some end up in quick sand which is sooo unnecessary.

Finally, since my thread has developed traction, I am receiving a flow of PMs from those having potential interest in this program; and we can discuss matters in private so that a Cegepien can make an informed decision as to one alternative of many. Whomsoever has since entered the program after I alerted them to this possibility is happy - based upon PM feedback I have received.

I would encourage those interested to apply to this program amongst others and to make a final decision based upon the acceptances down the road. I am "promoting" success of our membership! This is the purpose of the forum.

ADDENDUM:

The Exercise Science Program has now become very, very competitive and is no longer in the hidden backwaters where it remained. My having raised a curtain on the program here could have been a contributing factor to the increased popularity. In the circumstances, the academic strength of the applicant pool will determine the academic requirements that will fluctuate accordingly.

PEACE

Up until fairly recently, this was the route for underachievers, giving them a second chance to excel - and to get into medicine. Alas, this appears to be in the past as with the sudden increased interest and applications for t his program, with students having higher grades, those accepted before may well be shut out. This was not my intent but has happened.

Every Cegepien applying directly to med needs a Plan B, every Cegepien going to undergrad needs a Plan A for their route to med and a Plan B, should they not make it.

This is a viable approach that 95% of Cegepiens never heard of. This is now the season for applying to undergrad. So, I am letting Cegepiens know what is out there for their own information in making their decisions that hopefully will lead to medicine. That is all. It is quite simple. Timing! Everybody will now make their own informed decision. And those with medicore Cegep results will have a second chance to become A students.

This is a self-help forum. We exchange information, our opinions, our experience, our suggestions for the benefit of others. What I am doing is not "so unusual".

Last year, I shared my MMI Package which thousands have. This year, I have created an enormous 2 post thread on MMI Prep that is a Sticky @ Medical School Interviews Forum to pass valuable advice to Interviewees in a timely manner. Why? So it has the widest possible readership for the benefit of our membership. This too is not unusual. I am simply sharing important information with the members who need to have this information at this time. I do this regularly in all matters and when I am challenged, this is a valuable opportunity to discuss in public the issues raised. Public debate makes us all better informed.

I consider that I am promoting the welfare of the membership in what I do. I am paying forward. And each member, having their own autonomy and free will, shall make the best decision for themselves. Many make the mistake of going for the ivy league, for prestige and bragging rights with friends and family; all of this is illusory and some end up in quick sand which is sooo unnecessary.

Finally, since my thread has developed traction, I am receiving a flow of PMs from those having potential interest in this program; and we can discuss matters in private so that a Cegepien can make an informed decision as to one alternative of many. Whomsoever has since entered the program after I alerted them to this possibility is happy - based upon PM feedback I have received.

I would encourage those interested to apply to this program amongst others and to make a final decision based upon the acceptances down the road. I am "promoting" success of our membership! This is the purpose of the forum.

ADDENDUM:

The Exercise Science Program has now become very, very competitive and is no longer in the hidden backwaters where it remained. My having raised a curtain on the program here could have been a contributing factor to the increased popularity. In the circumstances, the academic strength of the applicant pool will determine the academic requirements that will fluctuate accordingly.

PEACE

This thread has been a marvelous filtering tool. Those interested in this hitherto unknown program have contacted me directly for private discussion and at least two have already applied, others are considering applying and I have been given important current feedback (see Addendum above). With more public discussion, the readership increases.

Knowledge is power and it is a no brainer that premed students should have maximum information in regard to their options. If providing knowledge by creating a dedicated thread is construed as "promotion" by those not having the slightest interest in this program, so be it. The facts that a questioner already in med school is in wonderment as to my motives - what about I am trying to be helpful to others considering their option at a critical time when decisions need to be made (simplicity itself). The timing of my thread on MMI Preparation is not accidental either and nobody has bothered to accuse me of "promotion". Every person's perception is that person's reality.

And isn't one purpose of the forum to make members aware of options they would not otherwise know about? Aren't we here to help each other? That is my motive. The reason behind the wonderment puzzles me and is totally irrelevant to the to the information provided and adds no value. Do I have to wait for some random member to ask a specific question about this program (which would be unlikely to happen) before providing information? I think not - especially as this program has not exactly been looked upon as mainstream in the recent past and, indeed, has been relatively unknown. Self-help, providing information and options to others, is not exactly passive. Nor am I. And the "window of opportunity" to consider and potentially use this information is precisely now. This is application season.

A few thought about Concordia Exercise Science program based on future_doc post:

1. It is hard to get A in ES.

_I think it is hard to maintain straight As with full load, regardless of ur major; and I highly doubt if ES is much harder than biochemistry, organic chemistry, advance cell & molecular biology. I personally found Mass-Spec, NMR, and Biochemistry 2 quite a challenge.

2. It prepares you for Med

_Sorry to say but 4 Human Anatomy & Physiology courses in ES are not listed equivalent and could not be used to full fill the biology requirement as one apply to McGill. That's mean, people in ES must take Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry courses outside their core classes.

I would say Cell and Molecular Biology is a better option considering the fact that students could get all the subjects listed in the MCAT's topic.

people in ES must take Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry courses outside their core classes.

Absolutely not true.

And ES is a great preparation for med, in addition to giving you a Plan B that can lead to many areas in rehabilitation such as, e.g., a Masters leading to professional licencing in P.T. or O.T. (both of which are offered at McGill with a QY (Qualifying Year).

Although it is hard to be a straight A student in ES, it is very doable, provided you have an inxredible work ethic and work smart for you - and I think it is easier to obtain than the other options such as biochem, organic chem, advanced cell and molecular biology.

Extra chem courses are required for U/O med school though. And U/O, like McGill, does not require MCAT.

On behalf of the Faculty of Arts and Science, I am pleased to advise you that you have been granted admission to Concordia University. Your program choices have been carefully considered and you have been admitted to the following program:

Bachelor of Science

Specialization Exercise Science:Clinic Ex. Physio.

---------------------------------------------------

Congrats and Best Wishes! :)

For your additional information, PrarmaDream says today:

Hey Big Brother and all,

yes I am currently enrolled in Exercise Science (AT) at Concordia University. And yes, major program has only 42 core course credits, the rest (I think 48...) are electives. I don't know about the 60% rule. But I don't suggest major since imagine: if you fail to go to med, well, you have just wasted 3 years of your life, and majoring is not gonna make you find a job anywhere.

AT or CEP are better though... Choose AT if you are interested in physio or CEP if you are interested in med... I am not interested in either but physio is more interesting so I took physio. (My goal is Pharmacy...)

Also, you will notice a huge Francophone population here... It's an English Instution but I'd say at least 80% ppl are francophone...

Actually, do good in my program is NOT easy! Prepare to study hard, and practice a lot. I got a C+ in a course, but end up catching up with lots of A+, therefore my GPA is now about 3.9...

Second year (I heard) is hardest, since you will be doing internship while going to school. In AT you will be traveling with school's sport team anywhere in Quebec on weekends, so time management is key. (I will soon do the intern..)

Also, I heard that in AT, each year, about 100 ppl got in, but at each year's graduation, only about 25ppl finish. Therefore, exercise science is not as easy as you'd think.

The CRC to get into the program has been rising each year, last year, I saw it was 25, but I asked the academic advisor, he said the average CRC of all students who got in last year was around 28... But no worries, I got in with a 24. something. So I was on the edge.

Also, a question, according to you, in a program like Exercise Science (very related to physio), what GPA do I need to be called to the Test Psychometrique for pharmacy at UdeM?

Ex. Sc. is not easy. However, with hard work, obtaining As is doable!

CEP = Clinical Exercise Physiology

Thanks for posting on your opinion :). Of course it is really important to have a back up program, but I am having trouble deciding what undergraduate program I should do. For me, I have always been interesting in biochemistry, but ...I am also leaning towards nursing since I will at least have a back up if Medicine doesnt work out..But honestly, based on the descriptions that you post of the exercise science program, it sounds really interesting. I dont know what to do...Because I am so worried about not succeeding..Even thoough I am interested in biochemistry, I heard it is hard and even If I do finish that degreee, there s absolutely no guarantee that medicine will work out..and I dont want to waste my time :/.

Anyways thanks again :-)

Thanks for posting on your opinion :). Of course it is really important to have a back up program, but I am having trouble deciding what undergraduate program I should do. For me, I have always been interesting in biochemistry, but ...I am also leaning towards nursing since I will at least have a back up if Medicine doesnt work out..But honestly, based on the descriptions that you post of the exercise science program, it sounds really interesting. I dont know what to do...Because I am so worried about not succeeding..Even thoough I am interested in biochemistry, I heard it is hard and even If I do finish that degreee, there s absolutely no guarantee that medicine will work out..and I dont want to waste my time :/.

As I understand it, in nursing you won't get the prerequisites for med. THere is a member here who was going to do nursing and after investigation, went for Ex. Sc.

Speaking from no experience, I understand that biochem is very challenging and As are not so certain. In Ex. Sc., you must work incredibly hard but if you do and even if you were an under achiever in Cegep, you can do extremely well in Ex. Sc. See the thread create by PharmaDream on this Forum.

You still have lots of time sand can speak with counsellors and students in the biochem program or who graduated from it. Follow your interests as you are bound to do better.