Premed 101 Forums

MEDICINE AT WESTERN - A Site for Prospective Students

Western is my last hope of staying in Ontario for med.

Not to mention it's been my top choice ever since I heard a rumour that there are more engineers at Schulich than other med schools than Canada. If it's true, I won't have to feel so awkward for not knowing any anatomy or physiology (beyond what was in the MCAT). :o

Not to mention it's been my top choice ever since I heard a rumour that there are more engineers at Schulich than other med schools than Canada. If it's true, I won't have to feel so awkward for not knowing any anatomy or physiology (beyond what was in the MCAT). :o

:) there are more than a few people with technical backgrounds. rember this is a med school - they teach you the medicine you need there. You don't need anything background wise before you get here.

as a chemical engineering student I feel you!

• 3 months later...

The student run site is always constructed by the first years and the admissions reps from that year. Once the 2015 class council is formed in mid September, the admissions rep help plan the admissions weekends with the admissions office. Usually the site for the next admission cycle is posted in February, so we have a ways to go. The UWO cutoffs and the official site will not be updated until next school year probably as we are still forming the class of 2015 (which would be the current priority).

Please...drop the VR score T_T to a 10.

It's agonizing for one question to be the life or death of your application to UWO. Can't you guys give context points like NOSM instead?

Haha yea it is frustrating, I know the 11 is high. Unfortunately that's the game I guess (not really an excuse more a we have no control over it factor).

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a quick question - is the VR cut-off a strict cut off? I know for UofT, if you are close to the border (with a good GPA and essay), they will take your application to full review?

I have a 10 in VR - wondering if there is any use applying?

It is a very strict cutoff (only exception is SWOMEN status). Now for the last few years the cut off has been VR 11 but it has the potential to change each year. It is always speculation to whether it actually will change - in the now comparatively distant past it was a 10. So with a 10 no one can say there is no hope but with both Mac and Western depending on the VR score the magical number of 11 or higher seems to a key level.

The reason it is so strict is just that the cutoffs are Western's primary way to screening applicants. The best two GPA of 3.7 (which also could change at any point) is not really enough of a barrier to reduce the number of applicants down to a manageable level for interviews.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...