Premed 101 Forums

the dreaded question - salary

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

all these questions depend on location, security, public, private, my bsc can get me a 65-70 k job with the provincial health authority... but it's alberta... if you're willing to buy in to the clinic, physio pays more, then again, no big corporate benefits... private markets very diff than things like med where you have gov billing schedules that are fixed... you should make min 60 g though, i suspect anywhere from 55-100 depending on a million variables...

literally first jobs i saw... these are all lowest paying and entry level too btw... like i said, varies a lot

OT:

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/Jobs.Calgary.Occupational-Therapist-I.212653.aspx

PT

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/Jobs.Lethbridge.Physical-Therapist-l.CRH-12-1031.aspx

Random Psych Bsc job... lower paying one I should mention...

looks like the pharmacy technicians make more than rn's there...

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/Jobs.Red-Deer.Pharmacy-Technician.212928.aspx

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/Jobs.Calgary.Psychometrist-I.212825.aspx

Actually nurses in Ontario start out just under 60k (Link).

I was under the impression that PTs started out in the high 50 to low 60k range and topped out in the low 80ks.

I know that as of 2009 in Saskatchewan, PTs started out at $26.18 per hour and topped out at $40.53 per hour (and that's with additional qualifications). Of course these numbers have probably gone up a couple bucks since then. Here's the link to the Saskatchewan CBA. I'm not sure how these figures compare to Ontario, although I'd imagine that they're not too far off.

This may not be correlated with the thread topic, but can anyone explain to me what OTs can do in private clinics? I sorta understand that PTs can do private clinic, but I rarely (forgive me, i live under a rock xD) see any OT private clinics? Can someone tell me what can OTs do outside of the hospital; for example where else can they work?

average income for OT

http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/ojf/pdf/3143_e.pdf

average income for PT

http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/ojf/pdf/3142_e.pdf

all of this education, and the avg cop salary is more :(

Of course being a cop is a pretty competitive field as well that now a days seems to require a pile of education as well :)

A physio colleague of mine once said to me that he never compares salaries to the other physios he's worked with. Its exactly what keeps him happy. This approach may keep you from earning top buck, but he's certainly more content about his job.

My perspective is as a new physio starting in Toronto's core, working for musculoskeletal private clinics. Full time work is hard to come by - so discussing wage is more appropriate. The Toronto average is going down generally - private clinics seem to be getting more of a cut.

Some pay per hour some pay per patient (the best clinics to work for tend to hire experienced physios and some find that a combination of wage & fee for service is best for their physios).

In my experience, a physio resident (physio awaiting to sit practical board exam), can expect to make 25$-ish/hour. A fully licensed physio starting off can expect to earn between 28$ to $50/hour. A note of caution regarding clinics that will offer new grads higher wages - they may be doing dodgy stuff with your license number.

Going more rural is the best bet to increase earning potential as a new physio. You'll get more hours and more money - likely.

Any questions?

A physio colleague of mine once said to me that he never compares salaries to the other physios he's worked with. Its exactly what keeps him happy. This approach may keep you from earning top buck, but he's certainly more content about his job.

My perspective is as a new physio starting in Toronto's core, working for musculoskeletal private clinics. Full time work is hard to come by - so discussing wage is more appropriate. The Toronto average is going down generally - private clinics seem to be getting more of a cut.

Some pay per hour some pay per patient (the best clinics to work for tend to hire experienced physios and some find that a combination of wage & fee for service is best for their physios).

In my experience, a physio resident (physio awaiting to sit practical board exam), can expect to make 25$-ish/hour. A fully licensed physio starting off can expect to earn between 28$ to $50/hour. A note of caution regarding clinics that will offer new grads higher wages - they may be doing dodgy stuff with your license number.

Going more rural is the best bet to increase earning potential as a new physio. You'll get more hours and more money - likely.

Any questions?

Care to elaborate?

A physio who was booted out of our class for failing too many courseworks ended up becoming a RCMP officer.

Yea, that definitely proves that physio school is harder than becoming an officer :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Gontty's numbers are the same as what i got out of my physio. If you plan to work at a private clinic the lower pay your willing to take the higher the chances of them hiring you, along with other factors. Having a Ph.D wont benefit you from getting hired too b/c your probably expecting a higher salary which employers don't want to give you.

Rural areas will offer as much as 50$ per hour but when you apply watch out for the hours b/c it may not be the full 37.5 hrs maybe like half or something.

You could also increase your income by selling the bracers, orthotics, etc if the clinic offers it.

• 1 month later...
all these questions depend on location, security, public, private, my bsc can get me a 65-70 k job with the provincial health authority... but it's alberta... if you're willing to buy in to the clinic, physio pays more, then again, no big corporate benefits... private markets very diff than things like med where you have gov billing schedules that are fixed... you should make min 60 g though, i suspect anywhere from 55-100 depending on a million variables...

only 60g in AB? You getting ripped off!

edit..... I didn't read the BSc part.....

I remember 5 years ago when I was a student and asked this same question.

After I graduated I worked 2 years at a private clinic saved up some money opened my own clinic and now making close to 250,000 net income.

Although this is probably not your typical example of how much a PT would make but it is possible. You have to have the right personality and be ok with taking big financial risks(it costs money to open a clinic), be a very good Physio so you build a good reputation, work hard and sometimes long hours and be able to have good business skills. Ofcourse you have to deal with some stress along the way.

I remember 5 years ago when I was a student and asked this same question.

After I graduated I worked 2 years at a private clinic saved up some money opened my own clinic and now making close to 250,000 net income.

Although this is probably not your typical example of how much a PT would make but it is possible. You have to have the right personality and be ok with taking big financial risks(it costs money to open a clinic), be a very good Physio so you build a good reputation, work hard and sometimes long hours and be able to have good business skills. Ofcourse you have to deal with some stress along the way.

Noob at finance, here but 250k net income means before taxes right?

Your story here sounds very encouraging, though very rare lol. You must've ran your business in a very unique way. Mind if I ask where your clinic is located? Which area?

Noob at finance, here but 250k net income means before taxes right?

Your story here sounds very encouraging, though very rare lol. You must've ran your business in a very unique way. Mind if I ask where your clinic is located? Which area?

It is somewhat rare as most PT's dont open thier own clinics. A lot of people cannot handle the stress and burden of running a business completely on thier own but before I opened I figured the worst case scenerio I loose 100 hundred grand or so lol.

I dont think I know of one person out of my graduating class that opened thier own clinic completely on thier own with no help from anyone but by doing that what ever I make is all mine.

I dont think what I do is very unique other than that I work long hours about 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. I aslo try to keep my expenses as low as possible. I give my patients quality care and build up a good reputation. I have been open for 3 years now.

250,000 would be whats left over after all expenses are deducted.

It is somewhat rare as most PT's dont open thier own clinics. A lot of people cannot handle the stress and burden of running a business completely on thier own but before I opened I figured the worst case scenerio I loose 100 hundred grand or so lol.

I dont think I know of one person out of my graduating class that opened thier own clinic completely on thier own with no help from anyone but by doing that what ever I make is all mine.

I dont think what I do is very unique other than that I work long hours about 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. I aslo try to keep my expenses as low as possible. I give my patients quality care and build up a good reputation. I have been open for 3 years now.

250,000 would be whats left over after all expenses are deducted.

I see that in alot of private clinics, there are other healthcare professionals such as RMT, chiropractors etc. Do you run your clinic all by yourself? I do find this very interesting, as 250k net income does seem like you have patients coming in throughout your entire day.

What other factors do you think contributes to the failure of opening a private clinic?

I see that in alot of private clinics, there are other healthcare professionals such as RMT, chiropractors etc. Do you run your clinic all by yourself? I do find this very interesting, as 250k net income does seem like you have patients coming in throughout your entire day.

What other factors do you think contributes to the failure of opening a private clinic?

I can only speculate but I do know that it is very important to have a good location and keep your expenses low. I think most clinics operate the way I do but the overhead might be high and also I dont have any partners. Many clinics I used to work at had high overheads and usually a couple of people owned the clinic which restricted the amount each of them would actually make.

But business is unpredictable and things can always go from good to bad. There is a lot of competition now a days as well. My point was that it is possible to make a good living as a physio and I see many people complaining about how much physios make on this forum. Even if you dont open your own clinic you can still make up to 75-100k/year as an independent contractor working fee for service. Good luck with everything.

• 3 years later...

Woow.. 100K, 80K... This looks like a complete fantasy. 

I live in Montreal, and many of my friends graduated in PT and OT at McGill University (usually ranked as the best (or 2nd) medical school in Canada). 

In hospitals, the current salary for recent graduates (with a master degree) for OT is around 25$/hour and a little bit less for PT. The salary scale doesn't allow you to be paid more than 75-80k (you can expect that salary after 12-15 years of services. PTs usually end up with bigger salaries than OT). In the private sector, you can add 2-4 dollars per hour. Some of my friends felt they were ridiculously underpaid , so they decided to switch to pharmacy or med. It's also becoming harder to find a full time job in the city.  Some of them need to go quite far to work 35-40 hours a week. 

I'm not too familiar with owning a private clinic. But you can't expect a return of investment right after you graduate. And there are many legislations that don't allow to "steal" clients from your former employer. You also have to be comfortable to borrow an important amount of money. 

Woow.. 100K, 80K... This looks like a complete fantasy. 

I live in Montreal, and many of my friends graduated in PT and OT at McGill University (usually ranked as the best (or 2nd) medical school in Canada). 

In hospitals, the current salary for recent graduates (with a master degree) for OT is around 25$/hour and a little bit less for PT. The salary scale doesn't allow you to be paid more than 75-80k (you can expect that salary after 12-15 years of services. PTs usually end up with bigger salaries than OT). In the private sector, you can add 2-4 dollars per hour. Some of my friends felt they were ridiculously underpaid , so they decided to switch to pharmacy or med. It's also becoming harder to find a full time job in the city.  Some of them need to go quite far to work 35-40 hours a week. 

I'm not too familiar with owning a private clinic. But you can't expect a return of investment right after you graduate. And there are many legislations that don't allow to "steal" clients from your former employer. You also have to be comfortable to borrow an important amount of money. 

Lol this thread is so old... But yeah, as a PT U1 student, I definitely feel like the PT salaries are really low when you consider the amount of education and training that we need to do... And when I shadowed at a private clinic, people were telling me there was an oversaturation of new PT graduates and that most of them were unable to work full time. It's really unfortunate :(

I hear things are better in the US though.

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2011 at 1:57 AM, rockstar_ankur said:

Salaries range between and within the provinces. According to the table of public sector salaries for 2005, in hospitals or public sectors the wages for entry level physiotherapists currently range from $33 266 to $52 522. As for senior level physiotherapists in the same field, the wages range from $56 000 to $77 142 ( Canadian Physiotherapy Association).

I think if you wanna earn money, going to U.S would be a better option. My uncle in U.S earns 1,00,000 /yr and is not even resident of U.S.

Very outdated.

From what I've read, OTs and PTs similarly start around $70,000 to $80,000 per year.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:43 AM, Yellowhead said:

Very outdated.

From what I've read, OTs and PTs similarly start around $70,000 to $80,000 per year.

Agree. Also depends where you live - will probably vary in big cities vs smaller towns. It will also depend on environment - private practice vs hospital for example. There’s a lot of conflicting info online. Some physios I’ve spoken to in Toronto private practices (msk) have said they started at $70k+ working full-time hours, and mentioned it should be at least $60k.

1 hour ago, Rehab4Life said:

Agree. Also depends where you live - will probably vary in big cities vs smaller towns. It will also depend on environment - private practice vs hospital for example. There’s a lot of conflicting info online. Some physios I’ve spoken to in Toronto private practices (msk) have said they started at $70k+ working full-time hours, and mentioned it should be at least $60k.

Agree with pacho

Archived