Premed 101 Forums

cGPA and 2 year gpa cutoff

I know this has been asked numerous times, and i did a search just now but I just want to make sure I have this right. the cGPA cutoff is 3.69 - 3.7, and the 2 year GPA cutoff is around 3.78ish? One poster somewhere said it was most likely around this number, but another person said they got an interview with a 2 yr GPA of 3.74...

Do the cutoffs change from year to year (i think they are?)?.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't the cGPA cutoff looked at first before the wGPA (past two years)? I didn't know there were two values for it. I thought that they looked to see if you could meet the 3.7 with your cGPA and if not, then use the last two years.

Ah queens. Always messin' around with us.

Queen's isn't messing around. The cGPA is looked at first. If that doesn't meet the cutoff then the wGPA is looked at.

ive a question. I know that for queens we can use our summer courses to reach a full courseload.

now say IF i have a year with only 28.0 credits (which is NOT a full courseload). now say I did a 6.0 credit course the summer before this year started. does this mean the mark for that 6.0 credit course get moved to this year making this year with 35.0 credits and my mark from the year is counted?

Thanks!

I'm assuming that in a 3-6 credit system, 30 credits is a full courseload?

Anyway, at queens you only need 3 FCEs, or 60% of a full courseload to have a year qualify (you need to be full-time).

So you would only need 18 credits in a year.

I'm assuming that in a 3-6 credit system, 30 credits is a full courseload?

Anyway, at queens you only need 3 FCEs, or 60% of a full courseload to have a year qualify (you need to be full-time).

So you would only need 18 credits in a year.

thanks

does meeting gpa and mcat cutoffs guarantee an interview? or do they look at EC and LORs

• 3 months later...

So the numbers thrown around here seem to conform with what one hears for Queen's GPA reqs, but going through the "accepted/waitlisted/rejected" thread i noticed a few people here and there that either made it to the interview or were accepted with cGPAs and wGPAs in the 3.6 range and even one person with a 3.54 I believe. Since Queen's supposedly has a hard cutoff is it assumed that there were extenuating circumstances for these people, or is it more likely that either the Queens GPA req isn't as hard as we've been led to believe or that it was lower than a 3.7 cGPA/ 3.78 wGPA?

Just wondering since my OMSAS wGPA is unfortunately a 3.66.

So the numbers thrown around here seem to conform with what one hears for Queen's GPA reqs, but going through the "accepted/waitlisted/rejected" thread i noticed a few people here and there that either made it to the interview or were accepted with cGPAs and wGPAs in the 3.6 range and even one person with a 3.54 I believe. Since Queen's supposedly has a hard cutoff is it assumed that there were extenuating circumstances for these people, or is it more likely that either the Queens GPA req isn't as hard as we've been led to believe or that it was lower than a 3.7 cGPA/ 3.78 wGPA?

I think for grad students they give you a separate review if you don't meet the GPA cut offs.

Are you still in your undergrad degree? Try coming back for a year to boost your wGPA

I think with the new cut-off process they are looking more holisitically at the applicants. It's hard to say if the GPA whehter cGPA or wGPA will go down because of that but I have seen some ppl in the forum get an interview with 3.68 so I would even go so far to say that you have a fighting chance this year.

Thanks Jordan, good to know, I hadn't heard much about Queen's taking a holistic approach, it would be great though since my GPA is just below competitive, but my MCAT compensates, as well as well rounded ECs with participation in all the important areas (student leadership for several years, volunteering abroad, volunteering at a home, research, work throughout university etc.) Anyways I wont scratch Queen's off my list just yet.

From the Queen's site:

GPA Cutoff

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses. For applicants who do not meet this cutoff, we will consider the most recent two full time years of completed undergraduate study to determine if this GPA is at or above this determined cutoff. Successful candidates will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff.

Applicants who have completed a graduate degree and meet the MCAT cut but are slightly below the GPA cut will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Admissions Committee.

The holistic review comes only if you've a grad degree. OP, do you have a grad degree? If not, I'm afraid it's a hard cut off...

From the Queen's site:

GPA Cutoff

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses. For applicants who do not meet this cutoff, we will consider the most recent two full time years of completed undergraduate study to determine if this GPA is at or above this determined cutoff. Successful candidates will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff.

Applicants who have completed a graduate degree and meet the MCAT cut but are slightly below the GPA cut will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Admissions Committee.

The holistic review comes only if you've a grad degree. OP, do you have a grad degree? If not, I'm afraid it's a hard cut off...

No one knows if they are using the hard MCAT/GPA cutoffs anymore (well at least I don't think anyone really knows), but I think the holistic review is for all applicants now, not just grad students.

Oh and by the way...is that 2 year GPA cutoff (if it is still a hard cutoff) of 3.78 for the 2 years combined, or does each of those years have to be >3.78? For example, say a 3.6ish GPA in 3rd year but a 3.9 in 4th year = 3.78ish GPA. Would you still be eligible to apply?

No one knows if they are using the hard MCAT/GPA cutoffs anymore (well at least I don't think anyone really knows), but I think the holistic review is for all applicants now, not just grad students.

Oh and by the way...is that 2 year GPA cutoff (if it is still a hard cutoff) of 3.78 for the 2 years combined, or does each of those years have to be >3.78? For example, say a 3.6ish GPA in 3rd year but a 3.9 in 4th year = 3.78ish GPA. Would you still be eligible to apply?

As far as I know, the average of the most two recent years needs to be above the (speculative) 3.78 mark (although I think it was closer to 3.74 this past cycle).

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the EC cutoff is?

well it is a subjective evaluation of your Extra Curricular activities. No one can really tell you a formula for that - not to say it is in anyway random or anything, it isn't. There is an approach, but in terms of 100% knowing if you got it you can't.

I *think* I asked them that before, and they said they did not have to be consecutive.

In that link, I kind of LOLed at this:

"We do not publish our previous or current GPA as they do not predict what minimums will be in future application cycles."

Uh, yes, they can make a pretty decent prediction. Some data is better than NO data!

Archived