Premed 101 Forums

cGPA and 2 year gpa cutoff

hey guys, an email reply from Queen's on August 19, 2011,

Q: For the most recent two full time years of completed undergraduate study GPA cutoff, would it be a concern if the two most recent years are not consecutive academic years as the year in-between I work full-time?

A: The last two years do not have to be consecutive.

For further information on our program and admission requirements, please see our website at http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi guys, http://http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_process/gpas states 'NOTE: The following courses of study will not be included in the GPA: naturopathic and chiropractic medicine, consecutive bachelor of education programs, challenge for credit courses, diploma or certificate programs, graduate courses, and undergraduate courses taken as part of a graduate program.'

anyone has any idea what 'challenge for credit courses' refers to? thx!

hi guys, http://http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_process/gpas states 'NOTE: The following courses of study will not be included in the GPA: naturopathic and chiropractic medicine, consecutive bachelor of education programs, challenge for credit courses, diploma or certificate programs, graduate courses, and undergraduate courses taken as part of a graduate program.'

anyone has any idea what 'challenge for credit courses' refers to? thx!

"Challenge for Credit is an opportunity to recognize prior learning and to acknowledge this through the granting of a credit(s). The opportunity to challenge is consistent with a view of schooling that promotes and validates learning that takes place in a variety of circumstances including outside of the school."

Source: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:6vEnyWas06EJ:www.gnb.ca/0000/publications/curric/Challenge_for_Credit.pdf+challenge+for+credit+courses&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjUm_jXIucOzgMVmzsPa8EELzft1rkWEwgr1f6bYIEtcgrDbSDdTvw_adQqwa5-Yl6k2Gn4FvPA0vUW9Uf50AH5-BLOfbeGoKqLGQ2lNLppk-Waguvu1B9Dg6kbkIoDbmjidSQT&sig=AHIEtbTSxaKs5grjhua0OsMxTwUsQ2mu5Q&pli=1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, does the 2YGPA only apply if you've finished your undergrad degree? I.e, if I am applying at the end of my 2nd year/ beginning of my 3rd year, will they be using the 2YGPA or the cGPA? Only asking since cGPA has my terrible Orgo summer school mark, whereas the 2YGPA won't include it.

Thanks!

Quick question, does the 2YGPA only apply if you've finished your undergrad degree? I.e, if I am applying at the end of my 2nd year/ beginning of my 3rd year, will they be using the 2YGPA or the cGPA? Only asking since cGPA has my terrible Orgo summer school mark, whereas the 2YGPA won't include it.

Thanks!

I believe the 2 year policy applies regardless of you been in 3rd or 4th year. People at Queens correct me if I am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
So I know it has been touched upon, but if you don't meet the cut off for cGPA will they just switch to looking at your wGPA and go off of that?

I am in a bit of a weird situation. My cGPA is a measly 3.12, but wGPA is 3.87. MCAT score is 33Q (11, 11, 11). Still worth applying?

Yes.

If your 2 year GPA is 3.87, I would apply.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
From the Queen's site:

GPA Cutoff

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses. For applicants who do not meet this cutoff, we will consider the most recent two full time years of completed undergraduate study to determine if this GPA is at or above this determined cutoff. Successful candidates will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff.

Applicants who have completed a graduate degree and meet the MCAT cut but are slightly below the GPA cut will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Admissions Committee.

The holistic review comes only if you've a grad degree. OP, do you have a grad degree? If not, I'm afraid it's a hard cut off...

If my cGPA is 3.59 (below cut-off) but my wGPA is 3.9 does this mean I actually COULD get an invite? (not likely, but possible?)

Any graduate students out there think that they received an interview or acceptance because their last two years GPA met the cutoff? (with cGPAs that are below 3.5?).

I ask because after completion of my graduate degree, I plan on doing more courses but I'm not sure if they'll consider graduate students' two-year GPAs in lieu of overall GPA cutoff.

("Graduate students slightly below the GPA cutoff will be assessed by an independent committee, etc.") In other words, if you miss the overall cutoff, would they then see your "graduate student status" and evaluate based on that, or would they go overall -> no, two-year -> ?? if no, then go onto graduate student assessment?

Any thoughts?

Any graduate students out there think that they received an interview or acceptance because their last two years GPA met the cutoff? (with cGPAs that are below 3.5?).

I ask because after completion of my graduate degree, I plan on doing more courses but I'm not sure if they'll consider graduate students' two-year GPAs in lieu of overall GPA cutoff.

("Graduate students slightly below the GPA cutoff will be assessed by an independent committee, etc.") In other words, if you miss the overall cutoff, would they then see your "graduate student status" and evaluate based on that, or would they go overall -> no, two-year -> ?? if no, then go onto graduate student assessment?

Any thoughts?

They would do that... cGPA? No.... wGPA? No.... grad student? Yes = separate committee looks at your file.

But you have to make the MCAT cutoff to get an interview no matter what your GPA/grad student situation is.

They would do that... cGPA? No.... wGPA? No.... grad student? Yes = separate committee looks at your file.

But you have to make the MCAT cutoff to get an interview no matter what your GPA/grad student situation is.

This is the killer for most grad student applications.

They're far too removed from the first year and the second year courses that are tested on the MCAT. I think that would have a large factor to play in the lower scores.

They're far too removed from the first year and the second year courses that are tested on the MCAT. I think that would have a large factor to play in the lower scores.

Solid inductive reasoning :) - I'm glad you're going to be a doctor.

I don't know- the material tested is pretty fundamental. For someone who's gone through 4 years of undergrad and 1 or 2 years of grad school, studying and reviewing MCAT material shouldn't be too challenging. I did my "first" year in 2007, had a couple years break from school, and wrote the MCAT in 2011 and did reasonably fine.

Solid inductive reasoning :) - I'm glad you're going to be a doctor.

It's the socratic way of looking at things ;)

I don't know- the material tested is pretty fundamental. For someone who's gone through 4 years of undergrad and 1 or 2 years of grad school, studying and reviewing MCAT material shouldn't be too challenging. I did my "first" year in 2007, had a couple years break from school, and wrote the MCAT in 2011 and did reasonably fine.

Sure, but if you look at the AAMC statistics, there is a correlation with year in school vs. performance/overall score. I'm too lazy to look them up now tho...

While you might have performed well... the general consensus in Canada is that you take the MCAT after your sophomore (2nd year). The idea is that if you need to retake, you can do so in the summer of your 3rd year. But part of me believes that most students take genetics, cell bio, orgo I and II in 2nd year... so that material is fresh and can be glossed over in a review situation. The real crux of MCAT prep is in the actual practice questions you're using etc. etc.

Hmm I've actually never considered this. I only took physics courses in high school and first year university, ended up doing an extra year for co-op and an extra year of non-science courses, wrote the MCAT for the first time during my graduate studies (as a full-time graduate student researcher), and scored a 12 in the physical sciences section.

I personally don't think there's any correlation.

Also, is "wgpa" what Queen's officially calls your 2 best-yr calculation or is it just short for weighted gpa as used by people on this forum?

Thanks

Hmm I've actually never considered this. I only took physics courses in high school and first year university, ended up doing an extra year for co-op and an extra year of non-science courses, wrote the MCAT for the first time during my graduate studies (as a full-time graduate student researcher), and scored a 12 in the physical sciences section.

I personally don't think there's any correlation.

Also, is "wgpa" what Queen's officially calls your 2 best-yr calculation or is it just short for weighted gpa as used by people on this forum?

Thanks

wGPA is short for weighted gpa. However, it's used differently for every school. For Queen's, wGPA refers to your MOST RECENT 2 years (not the best 2 years).

Archived