Premed 101 Forums

Thinking About a Second Undergraduate Degree?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a similar situation with people in this forum and also want to do a second undergrad degree, but Idk which program would be the best choice. I'm thinking about some health-related program because if I never get into med, I would still have a backup plan. So I'm thinking of some programs like nutrition and dietetics, but still wondering if there are any other programs that you guys could recommend? Also, I remember someone mentioned earlier in this forum about dietetics so I'm wondering if anyone know which school I could apply for this program to get a high grade? I did some researches and it seems like not much university have this program in Ontario (Ryerson, Guelph, and Brescia I think). For anyone already enrolled in this program, is this too difficult? Would it be possible to get 3.9+? And which one is the easiest out of those three uni?

I was about to applying to the Dental Hygiene degree (UBC, UofA, Dalhousie..) but it's out of province because Ontario only offer diploma for it. Would this degree be considered as a second degree when applying? Someone said they has a Bachelor of Nursing but then has to take another second degree because the BNSc is not approved in calculation, so I'm a bit worried if choosing it.

Also, does anyone know if we can apply for a second degree at an institution different from where we graduated? We could do that right? Anyone know the process of applying? Could we get admission if our GPA from our first degree is too low?

Thank you for any advices!

3 hours ago, clinicalhope said:

Hi everyone,

I have a similar situation with people in this forum and also want to do a second undergrad degree, but Idk which program would be the best choice. I'm thinking about some health-related program because if I never get into med, I would still have a backup plan. So I'm thinking of some programs like nutrition and dietetics, but still wondering if there are any other programs that you guys could recommend? Also, I remember someone mentioned earlier in this forum about dietetics so I'm wondering if anyone know which school I could apply for this program to get a high grade? I did some researches and it seems like not much university have this program in Ontario (Ryerson, Guelph, and Brescia I think). For anyone already enrolled in this program, is this too difficult? Would it be possible to get 3.9+? And which one is the easiest out of those three uni?

Also, does anyone know if we can apply for a second degree at an institution different from where we graduated? We could do that right? Anyone know the process of applying? Could we get admission if our GPA from our first degree is too low?

Thank you for any advices!

I got into Biomed science and Kin with a 2.6 in my 1st degree. I m doing my 2nd UG at another institution. Do a UG that you enjoy and its not subjective in nature to get a 3.9. GL

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2012 at 4:10 PM, Studentmed1001 said:

First degree

Mcat - 2009- 7,11,6O

FIrst degree - Psychology (McGill University)

1 year 2.1

2nd year 2.5

3rd year 2.6

4th year 3.5

Second degree - General Studies (Athabasca U)

1st year - 3.7

I would like to apply this cycle. Should I continue with the degree or should I enroll in a 1 year masters at Guelph university.

Is MiNDS one year? I think they are still open for applications.

I am also applying for AMCAS Howard and Meharry U

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How do you like Athabasca? They are more online right? Thanks

Hi everyone! I'm doing my best to fix my UG GPA. I applied for Fall admissions, and even the Canadian university I applied to don't like my low GPA. They said it's too low for the program. I'm interested in Anthropology. Anybody here knows which Canadian school accepts low GPAs and not entirely online? 

It's so frustrating! How can we get a second chance if the undergrad schools don't even accept you with your low grade??

My stats: 

Bachelor's degree GPA 2.4 (I know GPA's very bad. I wish I wasn't that emotional with family problems back then).

Master's (with thesis) GPA 3.9 

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. Thank you! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 11:19 PM, Redface said:

@medschover30 I am starting my 2nd degree and it will take me 3 years. Have you applied to Canadian and American Med schools yet? I have a few questions!

Sorry, just saw this I'll be applying this cycle and rewriting my MCAT in 3 weeks EEEK, so glad I took the 2nd degree route but still so many hurdles to overcome!

On 6/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, idontwannabehopeless said:

Hi everyone! I'm doing my best to fix my UG GPA. I applied for Fall admissions, and even the Canadian university I applied to don't like my low GPA. They said it's too low for the program. I'm interested in Anthropology. Anybody here knows which Canadian school accepts low GPAs and not entirely online? 

It's so frustrating! How can we get a second chance if the undergrad schools don't even accept you with your low grade??

My stats: 

Bachelor's degree GPA 2.4 (I know GPA's very bad. I wish I wasn't that emotional with family problems back then).

Master's (with thesis) GPA 3.9 

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. Thank you! 

Hey! You can complete a second undergraduate degree at the same university you did your first undergraduate degree. They will not reject you. I know this from my own, similar experience.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a non-trad path forward. I found a thread in the Student Doctor forums about reinvention, and I'm wondering what my best options are as a Canadian. Here are some details about myself:

• Late 20's software engineer
  • B.Sc in Combined Biology & Psychology at University of Victoria, 2011-2016
    • 1st year: 3.80/10 or 2.6/4 (5 courses each semester)
    • 2nd year: 3.22/10 or 2.38/4 (5 courses 1st semester, 4 courses 2nd)
    • 3rd year: 3.56/10 or 2.52/4 (5 courses 1st semester, 4 courses 2nd)
      • 3rd year summer: 2.0/10 or 2.0/4 (1 course)
    • 4th year: 3.88/10 or 2.65/4 (5 courses 1st semester, 4 courses 2nd)
      • 4th year summer: 3.0/10 or 2.3/4 (1 course)
    • 5th year: 1.86/10 or 1.86/4 (3 courses 1st semester, 4 courses 2nd)
    • cGPA 3.29/10 or 2.4/4
  • Turned my life around after university, started software engineering in 2017, was awarded a Canadian 30 Under 30 Software Engineer this year, and am now feeling ready to pursue medicine
  • Looking to pursue a reinvention path that satisfies the following:
    • Online courses that can be taken while working full-time, either part-time at 2 courses per semester or full-time at 3 (I realize this disqualifies me from some schools as they require full-time course loads)
    • Canadian universities preferred for financial reasons
  • Questions:
    • From what I gather, the best path for me is to pursue a second undergraduate degree where credits from my first degree can transfer and allow for completion in 2-3 years
    • Any recommended online degree programs? I'm looking at the self-paced programs at Athabasca
    • Would it be advisable to take the MCAT before a second degree?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:44 AM, SARA3000 said:

Hi everyone, I am currently in a similar situation. I did my undergrad at U of T in biochemistry and graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It was really hard to manage my job and a full course load. At the same time I was volunteering in the emergency ward at the hospital and also at a retirement home. I have about 400 hours of volunteering. I was doing okay during 1st and 2nd year and had hoped to increase my GPA during 3rd and 4th year, however  my family had to move out and I was taking more shifts at work to cover some expenses which had a huge impact on my grades. I also did my MCAT and finished with a 504. After my graduation, I took a 2 year break to work in a medical company and saved some money. I looked into other options such as nursing/ OT / continuing studies but I know for a fact that I would always regret not trying my best to become a physician. I am still young and I want to try all means to get into a medical school in Canada or US. I looked into Caribbean schools and I have friends that attend SGU and Saba as well, however I don't want to risk going there and not matching back into Canada. Also the tuition fees are excessively high and there is no way I could afford that.

So I am thinking of doing a 2nd bachelor degree in health studies. If medicine does not work, I will follow this up with a masters and try to get a government job. I know that my 2.0 cGPA from my first undergrad will follow me wherever I go and please do not leave comments such as medicine is not for you. I know my grades are mediocre but life happens and I am trying to rectify my mistakes. I am just  looking into different options before I make a life altering decision. If I finish my 2nd degree with a 3.9+ GPA and do good on my MCAT, do you think there is a chance for me to get into a school here?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

You should be able to match back in Canada considering that 94% of graduates in SGU match, which is considered a really good percentage. Also, SGU is recognize as a good med school so I believe matching is really possible. Also, if you do not match, you can always choose different residency program

On 12/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, medschover30 said:

Hey! I am in a very similar situation and started my second undergrad this past September, so far I'm pulling off the 3.9+ GPA I need while continuing to work full time.  I know I have a long way to go still, but my point is that it's completely possible and the time will pass either way so if this is what you want go for it!!!! There are definitely some doors  that are closed to us now because of poor grades earlier on, you'll have to focus on schools that look at best two years or have weighted formulas that work in your favour but I believe it's possible and hope you decide to pursue it. GOOD LUCK!!

Hey, why do you think you will not match back to Canada. SGU has a high rate of matching which is over than 90% which is equally as good as usa med school or even better than some. 

19 hours ago, FormerNinw said:

You should be able to match back in Canada considering that 94% of graduates in SGU match, which is considered a really good percentage. Also, SGU is recognize as a good med school so I believe matching is really possible. Also, if you do not match, you can always choose different residency program

19 hours ago, FormerNinw said:

Hey, why do you think you will not match back to Canada. SGU has a high rate of matching which is over than 90% which is equally as good as usa med school or even better than some. 

Do you work for SGU? Why are you repeating their advertising verbatim without a critical eye?

SGU's self-reported match rate (to Canada AND the US) is 93% for eligible graduates. As anyone who has actually looked into SGU (and other offshore medical schools) knows, they have a high attrition rate and basically won't let you apply for the match unless you do well enough that they think you're going to match, to keep their numbers up. The actual Match rate for entering students is likely around 2/3, and the proportion of those who match in Canada or other than FM is relatively low.

39 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

Do you work for SGU? Why are you repeating their advertising verbatim without a critical eye?

SGU's self-reported match rate (to Canada AND the US) is 93% for eligible graduates. As anyone who has actually looked into SGU (and other offshore medical schools) knows, they have a high attrition rate and basically won't let you apply for the match unless you do well enough that they think you're going to match, to keep their numbers up. The actual Match rate for entering students is likely around 2/3, and the proportion of those who match in Canada or other than FM is relatively low.

No I do not work for SGU, but I applied there, thanks for the insights, I did not know this, i will check more into that. 

23 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Also, I know two people that went to the Caribbean and they are practicing now in the USA