Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Jixe

Time Stamp: 8:01am

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted!!!!!!
GPA: 3.69
Eps: Various, 2x publications, northern health experience, etc. 
Decision (will you accept your offer)? YES
Campus: Laurentian

Thank you to everyone at premed101 over the years for helping me! I'll be returning the favour for years to come. 

Hi all,

Time Stamp: 8:59 am

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Wait listed (there's 41 of us)
GPA: 3.85 HBA + Masters boost
Eps: Community volunteering ST and LT, community involvement through sport, other ECs, lots of research background (pubs and working in it)...
Decision (will you accept your offer)?: Yes, if I get one!
Campus: Lakehead

Congrats to those accepted! It's an amazing accomplishment, you're going to rock it!

Time Stamp: 9:02 am
Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Waitlisted
GPA:  3.75 + 0.2 (MA) = 3.95 
ECs: : Lots of travel, varied work experience, outdoorsy things, organic farming, campus first response, wilderness first aid, hospital/community health/aboriginal health/family health volunteering. Been shadowing 2 NOSM preceptor family physicians at a family health team in rural North Eastern Ontario for two and half years, as well as worked on several community preventative medicine projects as a volunteer with the health team.  Also worked with a local Aboriginal Organization on a community kitchen project.  Experience working in traditional healing settings with residential school survivors.

Decision (will you accept your offer)? N/A

Campus: N/A

5 times waitlisted.  Hard to stay positive but I have to for the next little while as there's still hope.  Congratulations to all who were accepted!  And like I say each year, never take your seat for granted.

Time Stamp: 7:42am

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted!!!

GPA: 3.81

ECs: Currently working as a research assistant, previously worked at a local non-profit working with marginalized populations (drug using population, homeless, Indigenous, people at risk of HIV/HCV) developing and implementing an overdose prevention program, two years volunteering as an outreach worker (harm reduction/needle exchange), standardized patient at NOSM, 2.5 years as a Toastmaster (with leadership and communication achievements, and involvement with the executive committee), board member with Elizabeth Fry, ~10 years doing receptionist work at local walk-in clinic, two summers working at Science North, several research projects throughout undergrad and graduate degree (first author on two papers), multiple conference presentations, volunteer medical work in Africa, and physician shadowing throughout Northern Ontario.

Campus: East

Fourth times a charm... I am slightly in shock and absolutely over the moon. I can empathize with those of you who did not receive offers; there were many times when I wasn't sure if this day would come. Keep trying and keep improving yourself. It WILL pay off one day  :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist (especially you, rural_roots). 

Time Stamp: 8:03 AM
Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted!
GPA: 3.56 (H.BSc. Biomed) + 0.2 MSc.
ECs: Premed Club president for several years, Big brothers and Sisters, hospital, cancer center, on the managing team of non-profit in Toronto, tutoring, science talks to the public, lifeguarding, 3 publications
Decision (will you accept your offer)? Yes
Campus: Sudbury

Attempt #5- Persistence is key

Time Stamp: 9:29

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: regrets

GPA: 3.9 second degree

ecs: varied, nothing longer than 3/4 years

Context: on the weak side, 7 year in nwo

Interview: first time applying- I was shocked to receive an interview in the first place (I am sure it was shocking to many the first time). I thought it went ok, in a couple of stations I was defiantly nervous. And I know a couple I really aced. Overall, it was not strong enough to compensate for the context and ecs perhaps.

For future applicants, my advice is to prepare - nothing crazy because I think it's easy to tell when one has a formula for answering questions...I could have prepared better (to learn how to use the 2 minutes wiser, to accumulate more knowledge of the health care system and other topics). Be careful it may be easy to come up with excuses why you haven't prepared, but really you just have to believe in yourself and do it. Not avoid it.

This is very dissapointing because this is the first year I could apply (second degree) and it is also the last year that they calculated two separate degrees and took the higher. Now they will calculate all of you grades, and I basically have to some how battle with 4 years of really bad grades.

Congratulations and best of luck

H.

Time Stamp: 7:28am

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted!
GPA: 3.87
Eps: Various sports and hobbies, one first author publication, provincial and national scholarships, and some volunteering (nothing hospital related though)
Campus: Thunder Bay

I am so excited to be accepted this year! Especially after the waitlist purgatory that was last year!

Can't wait to meet my fellow Westies!

Time Stamp: 8:38 am EDT

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted

GPA: 3.79 + MSc(PT) = 3.99

ECs: Grew up in ++rural and remote NWO community. New grad PT in neuro rehab; Campus EMS (4 years); coached hockey, soccer, and baseball for kids in my home community; substitute teacher and EA (in super rural NWO you don't have to be a teacher to get part-time substitute work); volunteered in local private physio clinic (1 year); undergrad research project (nothing published or particularly rigorous) and physio school research project (qualitative research - again nothing substantial or published); first aid instructor in my home community in NWO; and NWO placement and academic unit through NOSM while in physio school. Perhaps more, but those are the main ones I remember without referring to my application.

Decision (will you accept your offer)? Already got on SAM on the OMSAS site and hit "firm accept"

Campus: West

Fifth application over a six year period since 2012. I won't go on about how happy I am to get in because I've been rejected post-interview 4 times, and I know how it stings to read those. Was #26 on the 2013 wait-list (when they still ranked us) and got flat out post-interview rejected every other year until now. If you really want to go to NOSM, do what you need to do to make it happen. For me, it was starting another health care career and finding a passion for rehabilitation and how medicine can help. If you want this to happen, find a way to make it so. Easier said than done, I know. But you can do it if you really want it!

Time Stamp: 8:27 am

ACCEPTED!!! (Sudbury campus)

GPA: 3.92

Context: Have lived in Northern Ontario for the past 16 years.

ECs: So many varied non-traditional experiences yet they all have given me a wide range of transferable skills... 

3rd time applying! I am ecstatic, teary, and in a state of disbelief. This has been my dream for so long. For waitlisters and those who did not get in this year, don't give up!! For any other non-traditional, older applicants, moms or dads dreaming of medical school, keep pursuing your dreams. With a lot of hard work, determination, and an unwavering passion for medicine, it can be done. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Time Stamp: 8:21am
Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Regrets
GPA: 3.94 (3.74+0.2 for MSc)
ECs: Hospital employee for 7 years in a cardiac/pulmonary rehab, volunteer with Big Sisters, community outreach with low income/homeless population, research experience via Master's degree in Interdisciplinary health, WSIB experience, tutoring, TA, etc.

First time applicant, in case that's pertinent to anyone.

Time Stamp: 0814
Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Regrets
GPA: 3.54
ECs: Varied, short and long term. Lots of hospital/medical experience. Currently working as RN.
Decision (will you accept your offer)?: N/A

Waitlisted last year and rejected this year. Pretty bummed out. Felt really good about my interview this year and had high hopes...

To those who were accepted - congratulations, don't take your spot for granted! To those waitlisted - hold on to your hope, you never know what will happen! To those rejected - don't give up if this is what you want, hope to see you at the 2019 cycle!

JASTG :)

Time Stamp: 8:19
Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets:Regrets
GPA:3.80 
ECs: hospital volunteer, Red Cross emergency response team, Alzheimer’s society volunteer, Big brothers Big sisters volunteer and committee member, underprivileged children recreation program volunteer, hockey coach, undergraduate research.

Decision (will you accept your offer)? N/A

pretty upset, it’s been a rough couple days. Going to continue to appply until I get in. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted. 

• 1 year later...

Time Stamp: 8:36 am

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.96 

ECs: Refer to previous posts

Geography: Lived in Northern Ontario my entire life

Interview: Thought it went very well

Decision: I accepted my offer at my first choice school, so I am off the waitlist at NOSM. Hopefully this helps those who are waitlisted! 

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and best of luck to those waiting!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Really excited to be going to NOSM (Sudbury) this September!

I'm glad to help out future MMTP applicants with the process. Please feel free to reach out!

Time stamp: 0922, 12 Apr 2022

Decision: Accepted!! - Sudbury

GPA: 3.7 + 0.2

Context: MMTP

EC's: Volunteer firefighter, father, military aerospace control officer with several years experience.

Year: Sept 2022 start

Previous applications: n/a

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I received an offer on omsas at midnight, as well as this morning via email. Context: this was my 4th year applying, 4th year interviewing, and I have slowly faded from trad to non-trad during this time. I've gotten rejected every cycle to date - not even waitlisted, until now.

I’m so used to rejection on this day, I don’t even feel like it’s real!! I’ve been checking this forum for years thinking “that will never be me.” :(

If you didn't get accepted this year, keep applying, one year it could work out in your favour, especially if you've already gotten an interview!

Time stamp: 7:47 AM EST

Decision: Offer

GPA: 3.73

Context: grew up in small town in Northern Ontario town 

Year: Fall 2022

Previous applications: 3 (2018-interviewed/rejected, 2020-interviewed/rejected, 2021-interviewed/rejected)

Hope this information helps, and gives hope to future applicants!

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone, just got my email for the 2023 cycle. Hope there is some movement for all of us on the waitlist :) 

Time stamp: 9:27am

Decision: waitlisted (55 candidates)

GPA: 3.67 + 0.2 (MSc) = 3.87

Context: from a small rural town in Ontario

Year: Fall 2023

Previous applications: 2019, 2021 (no interview)