Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Jixe

Took 3 years but finally got accepted to NOSM! Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.71

Francophone and Aboriginal Applicant.

Lived in Northwestern Ontario my whole life.

Worked as an RN in a rural hospital for the past 2 years.

A few ECs, mostly done during University.

Interviewed: NOSM, McMaster, Calgary, Western

Accepted: NOSM, McMaster, Western

For those still on the waiting list or got rejected don't give up! I was number 54 in my first year and 56 in my second year of application. If this is your dream, keep trying. Determination will pay off.

I'm very sad to see all of the rejections from people I was truly rooting for! I was also rejected from Nosm getting on the rank wait list at position 60. I was accepted at UofT though so I will be staying down in Southern Ontario.

gpa: 3.88(ug), 3.93 (MSc in progress)

BSc in Biology and MSc in Nutritional Sciences

Context: spent most of my life in a rural N.O community. University in N.O. 2nd and last time applying to NOSM. Did a lot of research, student council, NSERC, UG exchange, etc.

For those of you who were rejected and are considering giving up I completely understand, however, just remember to never lose sight of your dreams and to not let road blocks stop you from the person you want to be. I know this process can destroy your confidence but don't lose hope in yourself and be true to yourself. Best of luck to everyone in their future endeavours!

I was 2nd on the waitist and got my acceptance to Sudbury today. Will ABSOLUTELY be accepting, Congrats to everyone who now moved up at least 2 spots :) I finished 6th last year and I know the stress you are all under. Good luck and cannot wait to start the new adventure with you all :)

Hi Everyone,

This is a life long dream come true. I can't believe that last year at this time I was lurking through the forums taking notes and asking you patient regular posters my newbie premed questions. (Ahem... thx real beef and future doc!) This process has been a huge leap of faith.

GPA: 3.85 Bachelors degree

Context: Born and raised in North Bay On. Moved at age 18 to Pembroke X 3 years, then to Ottawa for the last 7yrs for work/health care I needed.

Employment: Non profit, group home, and gov't employment supporting people with disabilities, vulnerable populations, social assistance etc

EC's: Lots and lots of volunteer work with an advocacy / leadership focus spanning the last 4 years. Held advocacy positions for diversity promotion/support, first nations education, pride champion etc at work. My volunteer work in the community has been focussed in pediatric palliative care and fundraising for the local children's hospital. I've had my own challenging experiences with illness, health, and physical rehab which I believe helped shape me into who I am now. Also mentioned yoga and my love for dogs and agility, obedience, rally, etc in my AB sketch. :)

Interview: Thought it went well, but you never know! I "trained" for three months like I was about to run a marathon. I actively role played MMIs for the last month prior to the interview with friends. At the end I was practicing answering questions while washing dishes and waiting for the bus! I know that helped me develop a focus for my answers. Definitely reccomend lots of prep to help get into the routine of giving thorough answers and also working in your key messages about who you are, your vision etc.

APPLIED: NOSM... all eggs in one basket. Accepting my offer to NOSM East - Sudbury!

Sending lots of luck to those on the wait list. Taiga, Wayward, and Lekarza, I've followed your stories on the forum. All the very best to you in whatever direction you choose to go in.

All the best to those reading this thread and getting ready to apply for admission for 2014! Try not to get too wrapped up in the stats of it all and focus on what will make you stand out.

• 11 months later...

Time Stamp:8:55

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Waitlisted at #26 so close yet so far !

Gpa:3.61 + 0.2 for masters so 3.81

ECs:varied, hospital, walkin, ta, first aid instructor, runner

Trad or Non-trad?: non-trad

Decision (will you accept your offer)? Would absolutely accept if it got that far:)

Campus:either:)

also 4th time applying, 4th time interviewing, first time making waitlist. happy for progress:)

Time Stamp: 8:10 am (Central Daylight Time)

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Regrets

Gpa: 3.79

ECs: I thought they were good. Campus EMS (4 years), volunteered in a physio clinic in my NWO community(1 year), various sports, volunteered in a Nicaraguan medical clinic, coached a few kids' sports in my community, etc.

Trad or Non-trad?: Non-trad. Graduated in 2012 and have been working in my hometown in Northwestern Ontario for the past ~2 years.

Decision (will you accept your offer)?: N/A

Time Stamp: 8:50AM

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: waitlist #10

Gpa: 3.51 (3 year undergrad, in 1994)

ECs: karate instructor, presentations, volunteer for various activities

Trad or Non-trad?: B.Sc.

Decision (will you accept your offer)? would accept

Campus: Sudbury if possible

First application to NOSM

Time Stamp: 8:58AM

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Waitlist #24 (:( )

Gpa: 3.53 (4 Year Honours UG, +0.2 for Laboratory Medicine MSc)

ECs: Many and various although not super outstanding

Trad or Non-trad?: Non-trad. 25+ MSc.

Decision (will you accept your offer)? Not hopeful, but would absolutely accept

Campus: T-Bay

4th time applying to Northern

Not sure how the wait list system works but I can't imagine it moving 24 spots, so I'm pretty sure I'm off to Ireland in the fall to attend UCD.

Time Stamp: 9:14am

Gpa: 3.57

ECs: lots of EC's in High School and volunteer work throughout the years but not a lot of health-related experience.

Trad or Non-trad?: Non-Trad

Decision (will you accept your offer)? n/a :(

1st Time applicant. Lifelong Northern Ontario resident. Will definitely reapply next round.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those who are waitlisted ;)

For the rest of us that didn't get in, there is still hope for next year!

Time Stamp: 0846

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets ACCEPTED:) :)

Gpa: 3.89

ECs:Sports, research (no publications), lots of volunteering, many placements during school for RN, currently RN working at HSN, Respite Care, attending many charity events and local community events, etc.

Trad or Non-trad?: Traditional--23 year old female

Decision (will you accept your offer)? Absolutely

Campus: East

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Accepted.

GPA: 3.98 (second UG)

ECs: Born and raised in Thunder Bay. Currently working as a Public Health Nurse (sexual health and street nursing) in Thunder Bay. Past work experience as an RN in a rehab hospital. Nursing placement in Whitehorse. Work experience x6 years as a support worker for adults with intellectual disabilities. Volunteer lab assistant with Substance Use Research Group (Lakehead U) for 8 months. Couple other short-term research activities. Coached youth hockey for one season. Volunteer at AIDS Thunder Bay and Boys and Girls Club. Participant in lots of sports since high school (hockey, cross-country skiing, golf, soccer, badminton), lived in Finland for one year.

Trad or Non-trad?: Mature student, 25.

Decision (will you accept your offer)?: Only school I applied to, will definitely accept!

Campus: West.

Absolutely a dream come true! There were many times over the past few years when I didn't know if this would ever happen. After being rejected the past 2 years, this feels unbelievable! To all those who didn't make it this year; take some time to reflect, but I encourage you to stay on the path.

Time Stamp: 9:10am

Accepted/Wait-list/Regrets: Regrets :(

Gpa: 3.9ish

ECs: Student groups, Pilot's license, indigenous/northern health research experience, work as research assistant and assistant manager of a lab, volunteering at local community clinic and overseas.

Trad or Non-trad?: 25

OOP rural

2nd time applying.

Disappointed, I must say. Interview was good minus one station. I have to assume that contributed somewhat. Will be applying again next year.

Hockeynut, I knew you could do it!

Gpa: 3.45

ECs: a lot of community and university involvement specializing in the arts, surgical day care volunteer, support worker, standardized patient (actor in the OSCE's and clinical skills sessions @ NOSM West), past air cadet, etc.

Trad or Non-trad?: Non-trad, music undergrad.

It's been quite the ride and I will be accepting my offer of admission to the Master's of Music Therapy program at WLU. :) Take care and best of luck to all future applicants.

- Ontario Resident

- BSc, MSc, BA

- GPAs - 3.58 (BSc, first degree)

3.98 (BA, second degree)

- MCATs - 11/12/10M

9/11/9

8/10/11

I was accepted by NOSM. This is my third time applying to this school. Fifth round of overall medschool applications.

NOSM was my first/only choice.

Time Stamp: 9:03 am (but I am in Tanzania, so I'm not totally sure.)

Accepted/Watlisted/Rejected: Waitlisted at #5

GPA: 3.78

ECs: not too shabby, fair amount of volunteering, research and founded a NPO.

Traditional applicant (21)

Number of applications: first time.

Decision: Also waitlisted at UofC which is my top choice.

I consider rank 5 essentially as good as accepted!

Time Stamp: 9:08AM

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Waitlist #50 :(

Gpa: 3.95 (3.75 UG + .2 MA)

ECs: Extremely varied. Lots of travel, varied work experience, outdoorsy things, organic farming, campus first response, wilderness first aid, hospital/community health volunteering.

Trad or Non-trad?: Non-trad. 31

Decision (will you accept your offer)? My offer of no hope whatsoever?? I'll have to, sadly.

Campus - I would take either at this point

Never been so heartbroken after so much personal sacrifice. 2nd time applying, was waitlisted last year at #72. Will apply once more and see how it goes. Congrats to those that were successful. Never take your seat for granted.

Regrets

Gpa: 3.55cGPA; 3.81 wGPA (Biomed at Laurentian 2013)

ECs: Life guard, Big Sisters, Club president 2 years, Research experience + publication, hospital and cancer center volunteering, shadowing doctor, etc.

Trad or Non-trad?: Traditional

This was my third time applying, interviewed 3 times and I didn't get on the waitlist once. I am currently doing my masters at U of T. I am terribly discouraged.

Sincerely,

A NOSM hopeful

• 11 months later...

Time Stamp: 9:03 am (Eastern Daylight Time)
Gpa: 3.79
ECs: I thought they were good. Campus EMS (4 years), first aid instructor, substitute teach and education assistant for ~2 years, volunteered in a physio clinic in my NWO community (1 year), various sports, volunteered in a Nicaraguan medical clinic, coached a few kids' sports in my community, etc.
Trad or Non-trad?: Non-trad. Graduated in 2012 and worked in my hometown in Northwestern Ontario for ~2 years, then started physio school in the fall of 2014.
Decision (will you accept your offer)?: N/A. I think it's time to take the next application cycle off to finish my physio degree and pick up the 0.2 GPA points for an MSc(PT). I probably won't apply again until the 2017 cycle at the earliest. Hopefully NOSM won't adopt the CASPer as part of their application requirements, but I highly suspect that they will in the upcoming application cycles.

Time Stamp: 8:34 am (Eastern Daylight Time)

Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets: Waitlist #7

Gpa: 3.92

ECs: Sports, 1/2 marathons, missionary project in Jamaica, volunteer in different activities in township/village, bilingual (french), many placement for RN bachelor, etc.

Trad or Non-trad: Nursing Undergrad Bachelor, will be graduating in June 2015. First time applying.

Decision (will you accept your offer)?: If it is extended, yes! I would personally prefer East Campus (closer to family and for current employement).