Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Jixe

I just got my letter in the mail today. I was #5 on the list!! But I've already pulled myself from the list (will be accepting UofT), so good luck to everyone else on the list!!!!

Edit: just to update with my stats

1. Waitlisted at #5

2. GPA of 3.84

3. I'm a figure skater and piano player. I also have experience with a few research projects (no publications yet). I'm doing my MSc right now and will be done in August.

4. Lived in North Bay since 2000.

This was my 2nd time interviewing at NOSM (I was #20 on the waitlist last year). GOOD LUCK to everyone on the waitlist :) Believe me, I understand the agony of waiting!!

1. Accepted from #7 spot on the waiting list.

2. GPA 3.87

3. Lots of volunteer and EC activities. Applied as a mature student with 8+ years of teaching experience.

4. Living in the North since the age of 3, and only applied to NOSM. I was placed in the low 30's on the waiting list in 2008. I spoke with an Admisions Officer from NOSM to ask about what I should do to improve my odds. He recommended getting another degree to improve my GPA (my 1st undergrad wasn't stellar and my BEd didn't count), so I did. While working full-time and then while on maternity leave, I completed my 3rd degree!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Accepted

- Applied to the Ontario 6

- Interviewed at NOSM, Queens, UWO and Mac

- Accepted at NOSM, UWO, Mac

- I took my NOSM acceptance after much deliberation... not sure I'm happy with the decision but I had to decide eventually

2. GPA 3.85 ish im not exactly sure

3. A fair amount of volunteer work (what I could fit around my program), an NSERC placement etc... not too much but the volunteering was in environment and HIV/AIDS (spent a month overseas on a project I planned)

4. Born 2 hours north of north bay

1. Applied to: UofT, Queens, NOSM, McMaster, UWO

Interview: NOSM, McMaster, UWO

Accepted: NOSM (Sudbury off waitlist) and McMaster (Hamilton)

Waitlisted: UWO (bad)

2. cGPA 3.65 (much higher in later years)

3. Fairly standard. Some volunteering, Vice President and multiple chair positions in a fraternity, lots of physical rehab following a car accident.

4. French is my first language (completely bilingual) and from Sudbury

Will most likely be accepting McMaster for the fall!

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that NOSM sent out their offers for interviews today! I got one!! Anyone else receive an offer?

Hometown: Thunder Bay, Ontario

School: Lakehead University

Program: Bachelors of Science in Nursing (3 year) Compressed program

GPA: 3.4 cumulative and 80% average

MCAT: 9 in verbal (don't need the other sections for my applications)

Extracurriculars: Volunteer in ER, Student ambassador for my school, peer tutor in essay writing and formatting, member of 2 different soccer leagues, shadowed physicians, high school clubs (badminton, travel club, volunteer club, yearbook committee) and other various volunteer activities.

Other: Studied at an international language school for 2 months in Paris, France; education tour of Italy with school.

Awards: CEP national essay competition winner, teacher's recognition award, Lakehead entrance scholarship, Honor roll, dean's list, Ontario Scholar.

Applied to: NOSM, McMasters, University of Galway, Trinity College Dublin, and RCSI

Interviewed at: NOSM (so far)

Rejected from:

Waitlisted at:

Accepted at:

• 3 months later...

OMSAS GPA of best degree: 3.910 (Physician Assistant)

GPA of other degree: 3.150 (Nursing Science)

cGPA 3.53

MCAT: 8 on verbal reasoning

Context: Born and Raised in rural NO, university in SO, returned for summers/some work; francophone; 2 UGs (Physician Assistant; Nursing Science)

ECs: lots of volunteering/coaching, exec on organizations, some UG research volunteering, practical experience in medical profession for 6 years, campus emergency response for 3 years

Applied: UofT, McMaster, NOSM

Interviewed: NOSM

Rejected: McMaster, UofT

Accepted: NOSM

Waitlisted: none

Comments: will be accepting admission at NOSM West Campus!

Applied to NOSM

Got accepted

Going to NOSM west

GPA- 3.97

volunteer work- sporting events, cancer society, and tutoring

context- born and raise in Thunder Bay and male

actively involved in medical research

I have been browsing this website and thought I should at least post my stats. Good Luck

Applied: NOSM

Accepted: NOSM East

GPA: 3.69

ECs: Lots of sports teams in high school and university, volunteer position at hospital in rural N Ont. Volunteer work with Community Living, more but too excited to remember everything currently

Born and raised in N. Ont but attended UWO for undergrad

I, like sleepyhead, have been a long time viewer, but have never posted. SO excited to start!

I have not been given an initial offer of acceptance...

Waitlisted??

GPA 3.59

Born in T-bay, lived in SO for 8 years, recently moved back

EC - campus response, community activism

Not sure by the email if it's a rejection or a waitlist placement, I guess I have to wait (GAHHH MORE WAITING) for the letter in the mail.

Guest JP.MD

OMSAS GPA: 3.67 (Health Promotion and completing Master's)

Applied NOSM (2nd time)

Rejection 2nd time.

Volunteer at medical office, play hockey and softball, finishing Master's in Human Kinetics...

Lived in 5 different N.O towns

Agreed, what does not given initial offer of admissions mean? flat-out rejected.. or wait listed?

Same email - my guess is that means reserve wait list, but we have yet to hear from anyone being told they are on the ranked-wait list (just had this confirmed by email, 83 on the ranked wait list, I am not one of them).

GPA - 3.55

Northern Ontario

EC - flight paramedic x9 years.

Ended up 3rd on the ranked wait list last year. To fall this far despite feeling that I improved my application in every way is devastating. Time to do something else.

Hi everyone,

I don't post very often, but I thought I would offer up my stats.

I received an offer of admission to the West Campus!

GPA (cGPA 3.58) + 0.2 Masters (GPA 3.78)

Context: Born and raised in small rural remote town in NWO, lived in Ottawa for 10 years since for school and work

ECs: Lots in UG, Masters and Post Masters (student politics, sports, counseling, a little clinical shadowing, etc), years of FT work experience in hospital.

I was also put on the wait list for Queens. Queens was my first choice, but given they do not start moving the wait list until the first round of offers is over, I will be accepting to NOSM.

Waited a long time to write this - so happy right now :)

OMSAS GPA: 3.70

MPH GPA: 3.70

BSc in Psychology, MPH in Epidemiology

Context: Born and raised in North Bay, university at University of Toronto

ECs: Triathlete and half-marathon runner, associate editor for school newspaper and journalist, Big Brother, soup kitchen/homeless shelter volunteering, organized a public health conference on technology, tons of research (tuberculosis research in Iqaluit, lung cancer research, methadone research, lots of presentations and abstracts with a few publications in the pipeline).

Applied: McMaster, NOSM

Interviewed: NOSM

Rejected: McMaster pre-interview

Accepted: NOSM

Comments: Will be heading to the west campus! In terms of the interview - I spent a ton of time preparing and it really helped!

Ranked wait list position 36 :(

gpa: 3.85

BSc in Biology

Context: spent most of my life in a rural N.O community. University in N.O. 1st time applying to NOSM. Did a lot of research, student council, NSERC, UG exchange, ect. Pretty upset right now :( Congrats to everyone who got accepted and for the ones who didn't, don't give up!

Invited/Waitlisted/Rejected

Rejected: NOSM

GPA: 3.65 (second undergraduate) + 0.2 masters degree = 3.85

Context: Lived in rural central Ontario (Haliburton County - RIO = 61 and less than an hour away from Bracebridge, which is one of the communities where NOSM students can do their CCC) for almost 18 years and spent over a year in Moose Factory - remote Northern Ontario community.

ECs (a brief overview): Spent 1000+ hours between volunteering with a distress center, a children's hospital and a science-based radio show. Published 5 papers, 3 as leading author (only 4 were of these were published by the time of the application). Presented at an international conference (16th ISCT) and about 10 other regional / local conferences. A more detailed description of my EC's is detailed in another thread.

Comments: I thought my interview went very well, but I guess it's hard to objectively judge such a situation. I'm guessing my context score may also have weighed down my application. Anyone else feel they did really well in the interview but got rejected this year?

Waitlisted Rank #10

cGPA 3.65

B.Sc. Speech-Language Pathology/Audiology

Context: Lived in rural Northern Ontario for 10 years

ECs: V.P Parent's Dance Association, Fundraising for competitive dance and swimming teams, parent member of an elementary school council, volunteer speech & language services for at risk students, over 18 years work experience as an SLP in school, public health, and hospital settings.

Comments: I thought my interview went very well and I felt much more prepared for it than I did last year (when I was waitlisted at #65). My application didn't change one bit from last year, so I can only presume that my much improved interview helped place me more favourably on the waitlist. I know people have commented before that they didn't prepare for the interview and were accepted, but honestly....I feel that you have to practice mock MMI scenarios multiple times in order to feel comfortable with the interview process. Good luck everyone!

Waitlist Rank= #18

GPA= 3.7

Undergrad= Health Promotion

Experience= Volunteer work at hospitals in urban and remote N.O. communities and abroad, work with First Nations communities, member of athletics teams and work with students in First Nations and Sudbury/Manitoulin communities.

Context= Grew up in small N.O. communities, completed post secondary education in Sudbury

Comments= I felt my interview went well, problem solving was fun and felt positivew when I left. Should have practiced more, possibly could have jumped a few spots on the wait list.

First time applying, lets hope this waitlist moves!

Invited/Rejected

Rejected: NOSM

GPA: 3.3 (completed MA in December, so I don't think it counted towards my cGPA)

Context: Grew up in Yellowknife, NT (16 years), resident of Ontario (Toronto) last 2.5 years.

ECs (a brief overview): volunteered at ER (<1yr), Let's Talk Science (<1yr), various clubs/groups (including Journalists for Human Rights and Buddhist Society) during UG. [Definitely my weak point probably]

Comments: I thought my interview went very well too. I answered every question thoughtfully and later reflected on what I said and thought it was pretty good, but again, it's hard to objectively judge such a situation I suppose. With more ECs, my Master's added to my GPA, and more experience in healthcare, I will probably apply again next fall. Super bummer though... although, I hear getting an interview on your first application is good though, right?

Accepted to East campus (Sudbury). This is my first time applying.

cGPA= 3.45 (with two failed courses)

Context= Grew up just outside of Sudbury, ON

Francophone applicant

I felt very comfortable in the interview.

ECs= research (no-pubs), volunteering (hospital, community fundraisers, tutoring, soccer coach, lots of work hours as server/bartender during UG)

Torn between Western and Calgary (current city). Hope the wait-list move will make someone's week!

Congrats to all accepted and wait-listed, and to those who received regrets, do not give up!!

well, this is not my year...1st time applying

rejection...probably my lower gpa, based on only 6 subjective uni courses in 4th year: 3.28, and my interview could have been better although i thought overall i did well...so room for improvement there. pretty confident re context and ABS but then again, not living in N. Ontario. was pretty happy and suprised to get an interview

every experience helps prepare for the next one, and since the interview is worth 50% i think i would be better prepared next time. don't really want to think about that today, but hey, OMSAS opens again in 8 weeks. yay! ( not )

seriously, congratulations to everyone on here whether accepted or not, esp to the folks who were/are regular contributors ( reel beef! ) maybe we will meet at NOSM someday.

best wishes

taiga gal

Accepted! This is a dream come true.

GPA: 3.89 (NOSM calc.) - UG x 2 degrees, MPH grad degree

ABS: Registered Dietitian in N.O with First Nations (FN) x 6 yrs, LTC Clinical RD/Nutrition Dept manager at FN LTC x 1 yr, community based research in FN, Indigenous Research Development Fund Program scholarship/research allowance ('09), Canadian Foundation for Dietetic Research new researcher award ('09), preceptor x 4 yrs to NOSM dietetic interns, volunteer fire dept x 5 yrs, ICU volunteering x 2 yrs, Community fitness center Vice president board of directors x 3 yrs, ++other hospital volunteering, +employment in hospital, etc, etc (Im in my early 30s, Ive been around for a while)

, NOSM faculty - Lecturer status :cool:

Context: Northern Ontario x 6 years.

I will be accepting my offer to East Campus.

• 11 months later...

thought i'd continue the sticky thread so the stats are easier to access.

bummer that I have to post a rejection though!

GPA: 3.28

Context: Rural/remote but not N. Ontario. Fluent in french

EC's: ++ in healthcare, self directed, founder of many initiatives.

Interview: Thought I did very well

Having a higher GPA with another degree might be the ticket, but I think it is time to move forward from this dream and embrace another, while I am still in my 40's! I just took a newly created position with the NT Gov't, to develop a strategy for Cancer for the territory, so for the first year I will be travelling to different communities to listen to the people, researching and writing. Never done policy work before but I am really excited about this opportunity. It means moving away from direct patient care, but I think it will be a good change and will open some doors for me.

Good luck to everyone on your own journeys