Premed 101 Forums

What kind of vet do you want to be?

I'm going in my third year in Veterinary Medicine this September and I'm starting to doubt with kind of animals I want to deal with. I started out loving cows and absolutely wanted nothing to do with having cats and dogs as my patients. Over the last two years, we've had so many interesting teachers that loved what they did that I couldn't stop myself from wanting their passion about their work. I am now at a point where I want to treat pigs, chickens, horses, whales, ferrets, parrots AND cows.

When and how do you decide what you want to do? Eventually, in my fourth year, I'll have to pick some courses that will help me learn more about the species I want to treat ... But I have no idea what to do.

Any comments on your choices and the reasons of those choices, would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Im not going to be a vet, but if I were a vet, I'd work more towards fighting animal cruelty. I've watched (pretty recent) videos of animal torture in the states and some asian countries. I'm sure it goes around all over the world, but i'd probably tackle that issue somehow if i was a vet

It is required to have a doctorate in medicine in order to become a vet. Becoming a vet is a tough process. An ordinary vet will definitely have to deal with animals such as horses, pigs, sheep, cattle and goats etc.

Indeed, but I you cannot deal with all these breeds when you are a vet. There is so much information one vet can remember. Therefore you have to choose specific animals you want to treat... And that's what I am having issues with! Which one to pick?

Indeed, but I you cannot deal with all these breeds when you are a vet. There is so much information one vet can remember. Therefore you have to choose specific animals you want to treat... And that's what I am having issues with! Which one to pick?

horses sound cool lol

Not a vet nor inclined to go into vet school, but have a friend who started out wanting to treat orange tabbies exclusively and now is a very skilled and highly regarded veterinary ophthamologist and works with a variety of species--big and small.

This friend tried small-animal practice and hated it, so went back and specialized in an area of interest.

Not sure if that helps, but at least gives you an idea that even if you focus on one thing and it doesn't work out, you will always have the opportunity to explore other interests through post-grad work.

Not a vet nor inclined to go into vet school, but have a friend who started out wanting to treat orange tabbies exclusively and now is a very skilled and highly regarded veterinary ophthamologist and works with a variety of species--big and small.

That is a pretty specific area of practise :)

Where do you want to live? Some farm areas are under serviced.

When I was farming the only veterinary available was a real jerk.

He recommended that we put down our dog instead of telling us that there was a vet 40 minutes away who had experience successfully treating the type of injury that our dog had. The jerk vet gave us a big bill for keeping our dog at his office for a day. He should have told us about the other vet right away.

Our dog may have suffered less if treated sooner. After that and several other very bad experiences with the only large animal vet, close enough to make farm calls, we had to continue to give him business for treating our sick cattle.

So if you are interested in large animals go for it.

Send me a private email if you want to know the name of that under serviced area.

• 1 year later...
It is required to have a doctorate in medicine in order to become a vet. Becoming a vet is a tough process. An ordinary vet will definitely have to deal with animals such as horses, pigs, sheep, cattle and goats etc.

A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine is needed to become a Veterinarian. A Doctorate of Medicine is more geared towards the Homo-sapien group.. :D

@OP,

I think whales sounds uber-cool!! Do you like swimming? That is definitely something that I would consider, maybe even sharks!! Ouuuu Sharks :)

• 2 months later...

Archived