Premed 101 Forums

IMG+fresh med school grad+applying for electives?

maziii

I just graduated from med school two months ago and I'm moving to Canada next month (PR card, passport stuff)

Anyway, I just realized I need Canadian experience (before I apply to any residency programs) except electives are available only for undergrads.

So now what? How do I get experience and LOR's?

So lost. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can help me out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as a PR you have the advantage of being able to do research at a relatively low cost (i.e very an international student). do a Master's (for which you can get paid).. do the qualifying exams (MCCEE etc) then apply.. i've seen a few foreign doctors doing their master's while preparing to apply to residency. some got in eventually.

• 2 years later...

as a PR you have the advantage of being able to do research at a relatively low cost (i.e very an international student). do a Master's (for which you can get paid).. do the qualifying exams (MCCEE etc) then apply.. i've seen a few foreign doctors doing their master's while preparing to apply to residency. some got in eventually.

I am a last year international medical student and i am considering applying for a masters degree from a canadian university as soon as i finish my undergraduate studies , will this can improve my chances when applying for Carms ? i will be doing electives in canada during my internship year too

• 4 weeks later...

I am a last year international medical student and i am considering applying for a masters degree from a canadian university as soon as i finish my undergraduate studies , will this can improve my chances when applying for Carms ? i will be doing electives in canada during my internship year too

Its good that you are doing electives, why are you so eager to match to Canada? If you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR its much easier to go to the US. Canada is really really competitive and you need PR to even apply. Masters will help a little bit, but its mainly to show you are keeping yourself busy.

Archived