Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, lauren666 said:

Hey guys,

Any psch majors at York? I was wondering if anyone has taken 4th year psych courses - are they similar to 3rd year courses or are they mostly research based (if yes then how do profs go about midterms and finals? Do you know if there are any 4th year psch courses that are similar to 3rd year courses? Need to chose courses soon so thought I'd do some research! 

Also if you know any other 3rd non psych courses were an A+ is doable and not subjective, as well as any 3rd year psych courses with testbanks apart from women' psychology, animal psych and Cognition? 

I know I am asking a lot I just am really happy to find people at York on this Forum! Any help is greatly  ppreciated 

isn’t cognition a 2nd year course tho ?

How are these profs for these courses?

BIOL2020- Terrance Kubiseski or Vivian Saridakis

BIOL2021- Paula Wilson

BIOL2030- Scott Kelly or Andrew Donini

BIOL2040- Tamara Kelly or Tanya Da Sylva

BIOL2050- Birgit Schwarz

BIOL2060- Joel Shore or Roberto Quinlan

BIOL2070- Christopher Jang

On 6/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, 2confused2live said:

oh I see! Psych department keeps changing. Would you recommend any good 4th year psyc courses? something A/A+ doable? :)

Haha that's what I'm trying to figure out myself.. preferably one without presentations...please let me know if you find any! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, Unknown99 said:

Does anyone have feedback on Psyc 3140(Abnormal Psychology)?

Is it a good elective? And what other Psychology courses did you take that were interesting and easy?

Did anyone take it with Alexandra Rutherford before?

Thanks!

Took it with Rutherford last winter. Really interesting but know that she takes a much different approach to abnormal psych than the other profs. Hers is more focused on the history of abnormal psych rather than the actual disorders. Otherwise, it was an easy A imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, premed0104 said:

Took it with Rutherford last winter. Really interesting but know that she takes a much different approach to abnormal psych than the other profs. Hers is more focused on the history of abnormal psych rather than the actual disorders. Otherwise, it was an easy A imo.

Oh okay thank you so much!

Does the course have essays?

17 hours ago, Unknown99 said:

I'd like to ask which professor do you recommend for organic chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

took CHEM2020 with Hili and CHEM2021 with Jackson. Both were pretty good. Studied my ass off but ended up with A+ so it's doable

I think that York has a strong orgo department overall. All the profs are great imo. Your grade is more dependent on how well you are at orgo that the actual prof

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Jumpman said:

Hey does anyone know what Gpa will normally get you an NSERC in the biology department?

From a little online digging (Google "York nserc gpa"), it looks like you need a minimum 6.0/9.0 and then the ranks of applications are done based on the GPA. So a higher GPA will increase your chances. However, like everything, never hurts to throw an application and see what happens! All the best :)

Also look at this link and try to go to this year's information sessions when the details come out. Maybe inquire with the Biology department for these. http://biology.yorku.ca/undergraduate-program/nserc-usra-awards-dura-awards/