Accepted/withdrawing/waitlists/rejected  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Accepted/withdrawing/waitlists/rejected

• Accepted and attending Mac
    • Accepted and withdrawing
    • Waitlisted but would attend
    • Waitlisted and withdrawing
    • Rejected

well, any post gives me an actual reason to check on this thread! I know that I'm checking way more frequently as we get closer (although it is the weekend, so unless the admissions team is working over the weekend we don't have to worry about any real movement...)

Does anyone know if the deposits also had to be in by the Tuesday? This is a bit of pointless speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that if yes, then most people will probably respond by the end of the weekend to get their deposits in on time....which would probably mean that there might be some movement by Tuesday :confused:

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, any post gives me an actual reason to check on this thread! I know that I'm checking way more frequently as we get closer (although it is the weekend, so unless the admissions team is working over the weekend we don't have to worry about any real movement...)

Does anyone know if the deposits also had to be in by the Tuesday? This is a bit of pointless speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that if yes, then most people will probably respond by the end of the weekend to get their deposits in on time....which would probably mean that there might be some movement by Tuesday :confused:

I sure hope not - I haven't done anything officially yet - I was waiting until monday, and there is no way my cheque will be there in time!

I doubt the cheque needs to be in by Tuesday. However, I'm expecting movement to begin on Monday.

I'm going to be watching spiders having sex to pass the time

(part of my research, lmao)

LOLOL i was like... that's... an interesting pastime... :eek:

meanwhile i'm looking for clip art photos of boobs. (making fliers for work. really)

LOLOL i was like... that's... an interesting pastime... :eek:

meanwhile i'm looking for clip art photos of boobs. (making fliers for work. really)

Haha I don't do anything as cool, I look at protein interaction profiles by day and waitress my ass off at night (hence the 2-3am posts)

LOL so aside from watching spiders do the dirty, how is that puzzle going?

And yes I guess I can't give memes all the credit as we get closer to Tuesday the number of people viewing totally went up

I doubt the cheque needs to be in by Tuesday. However, I'm expecting movement to begin on Monday.

I'm going to be watching spiders having sex to pass the time

(part of my research, lmao)

Enlighten me. How does that process happen? 16 legs is a lot to deal with.

So

are the babies I work with. The species exhibits sexual cannibalism which basically means that the male sacrifices his life after ****ing the female. He spends about 5 hours plucking at the web around the female (courting her) and then mates. After mating, he flips his body over such that he is very near her mandibles and offers himself up to her. The female eats him.

It's been shown that males that get away have lower paternity. So by sacrificing himself, he increases the probability that all the offspring will be sired by him because females that eat their mates tend to not mate again. It sounds really cool and it is but the work can get tedious, lol.

So
are the babies I work with. The species exhibits sexual cannibalism which basically means that the male sacrifices his life after ****ing the female. He spends about 5 hours plucking at the web around the female (courting her) and then mates. After mating, he flips his body over such that he is very near her mandibles and offers himself up to her. The female eats him.

It's been shown that males that get away have lower paternity. So by sacrificing himself, he increases the probability that all the offspring will be sired by him because females that eat their mates tend to not mate again. It sounds really cool and it is but the work can get tedious, lol.

That is so cool hahaha, except that I got through about 20 seconds of the video and got too creeped out by spiders to continue hahaha it's the way they move it's just so creepy!

On a side note, did anyone else used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and remember the episode with the crazy praying mantis that also exhibits sexual cannibalism... just thought I'd throw out that 90s win right there :cool: .. please tell me someone else watched that show hahahaha

That is so cool hahaha, except that I got through about 20 seconds of the video and got too creeped out by spiders to continue hahaha it's the way they move it's just so creepy!

On a side note, did anyone else used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and remember the episode with the crazy praying mantis that also exhibits sexual cannibalism... just thought I'd throw out that 90s win right there :cool: .. please tell me someone else watched that show hahahaha

OMG YES Buffy the Vampire Slayer!!! That show is my youth....

Thanks for the meme appreciation guys - glad I could make some of you smile!

I had a dream turned nightmare about the waitlist - I was on the waitlist at U of T (how, I don't know - didn't interview there, but lets go on), and they call me and tell me that I made it off the waitlist - then I call my mom crying because I'm overjoyed and then they call me again and say "oh sorry we made a mistake, we have no room for you". and then I sob and the dream ended there.

Needless to say, I'm traumatized. Maybe I should pull a sammi sweetheart and go do this to Wendy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoydP11B2ck (most epic jersey shore parody ever - if you don't know what's being parodied, please watch it, it will instantly make you feel better no matter how badly you've failed in life)

"Wendy staaaap yer trauhmatizin mehhhh"

So

Very similar to Dr. Andrade's research area at UTSC.

I can sympathize, it's just so close...

But on a positive (?) note, only 84 new students in the fb group. Hopefully that counts for something. Hopefully the people making their decisions today and tomorrow will remember to vote in our poll for an additional measure :) !!

Analysis based on the poll so far (102 votes)

Multiplied each % with 550 (the interviewee pool):

Accepted + attending: 178

Accepted + withdrawing: 124

Accepted overall: 302

Waitlisted + would attend: 129

Waitlisted + withdrawing: 49

Waitlisted overall: 178

Rejected: 70

So this tells us basically that the number 'accepted' have been over-represented in the poll by a lot, because there is no way 300 acceptances were sent. That being said, there should probably be more rejected people, but we all know that is going to be artificially low due to people not wanting to report that they were rejected. Waitlist numbers are slightly over-done but not too far off from reality.

Worst/Best news when looking at trends and not numbers (which we know are skewed):

- Waitlist seems to not have lost too many people who withdrew from it (only 28% have withdrawn)- however I hope that people withdrawing from the waitlist will be able to poll so we get more votes in there.

- According to the poll, roughly 41% of those who had offers (were accepted) have turned down mac, which is crazy!

Now we all just need to pray that these trends hold true for the interviewee pool overall and not just on premed101, and hopefullyyyyy we will see some good waitlist movement!

By the way, what is the reason that so many people are turning their offers down? I mean I'm not complaining but still, surprising! It seems queens and U of T are super popular this year. Ottawa seems to also be a bit unpopular this cycle (judging based on the size of the facebook group + lack of premed101 activity).

Then again there is always a chance that things will drastically change over the next day or so when people make last minute decisions! I certainly hope not, and that things in reality are just like this poll, except the 178 seats being filled part, lol

LOL I was totally trying to do a break down today with completely hypothetical numbers that obviously optimistically work in our favour... mine was more like this:

86 members are on the facebook group

let's say approx. half that number don't know how to use facebook or are not facebook fans. so let's say 44..

that's 130 people that have been accepted and are attending.

Now for kicks let's say Mac oversubscribes by 40 spots...

170 of 204... now we have about 23 people withdrawing that we know of...

bringing us back down to 147

with these hypothetical numbers, there should be 57 spots available...

so just for the sake of having round numbers let's say 50 spots... that is still fair waitlist movement!

Damn this numbers game! Wendy you're "traumatizin meh!!!" Of course this is flawed thinking because we have no idea how many have actually turned down the offer... so if Mac oversubscribes by 40... 244 and say only 40 people turn down the offer they'd already have a full class, fml.

Archived