Premed 101 Forums

Research as a medical student

Hey guys, a windsor 2016er/first time poster here :)

Something's been troubling me lately and I would really appreciate it if you guys here on this great board could help me out with some information.

I'm keen on academic medicine, but it seems to me that wet bench research opportunities in UWindsor are relatively more limited. How do Windsor students typically deal with this... Do we have time in the summer to look for summer studentships elsewhere? Can we do some during the school year? Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks again for looking at this.. I'm just really confused :confused:

Hey guys, a windsor 2016er/first time poster here :)

Something's been troubling me lately and I would really appreciate it if you guys here on this great board could help me out with some information.

I'm keen on academic medicine, but it seems to me that wet bench research opportunities in UWindsor are relatively more limited. How do Windsor students typically deal with this... Do we have time in the summer to look for summer studentships elsewhere? Can we do some during the school year? Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks again for looking at this.. I'm just really confused :confused:

I will let the Windsorites comment further but any Windsor student would have the same summer opportunities as a London one (of our standard programs). Often they do come up to London for the summer to do research here and that is completely fine :)

depends on how much commitment you put in. There is definitely time to volunteer one afternoon a week for a prof. The SRTP and SROP programs (more details found on the internet) are directed towards both Windsor and London students. As far as I know, the preceptors struggle to get students for the most part, not the other way around. Doctors are also very perceptive to students asking to volunteer for their lab in the summer or during the school year. I do believe that most of the SRTP and SROP researchers are in London, which means Windsor students would have to travel to London.

Other programs, such as the MedOutreach, ROMP, and other SWOMEN programs also have research components to them. In addition, it is also possible to find research opportunities in Toronto and other cities. If you want research opportunity in the summer, you can definitely find it

Can you tell me how long our summers will be?

Thank you

Sure! they are 12 or maybe if you are lucky 13 weeks in the summers after years one and 2. You will get no summer time off effectively in years 3 (there is a week off at the end of August just before electives but of course you may have to spent a chunk of that actually getting ready to go etc) and there is one final 6 weeks approx off just after graduation until you have to start residency - something likely May 15-20 starting until just before July 1.

Our semester ended June 11th this year and we go back September 4th. If you are a first year and you get lucky, you might be done with discovery week in the first week and end on June 3rd. But the summer is generally 12 weeks long.

Our semester ended June 11th this year and we go back September 4th. If you are a first year and you get lucky, you might be done with discovery week in the first week and end on June 3rd. But the summer is generally 12 weeks long.

yeah that was the lucky part I mentioned :) By pure chance with the position of the holidays I had 13 weeks in year one as well and that was before the split to a 2 week discovery week system.

Side note - Next year they are keeping the discovery week but there is a new leadership course the week before final exams (replacing the week off that was there currently). A new experiment at the the school and an out shooting from a business course project that we helped pilot 2 years ago now.

lol looks like I'll have to hurry looking at research opportunities now.. since first year summer seems to be so important.

I doubt I'll be able to manage a SROP.. I'll start looking at SRTP or opportunities in Toronto hospitals

ahh.. I thought I'd be able to just chill this summer

Thanks for all your input =]

lol looks like I'll have to hurry looking at research opportunities now.. since first year summer seems to be so important.

I doubt I'll be able to manage a SROP.. I'll start looking at SRTP or opportunities in Toronto hospitals

ahhh you wouldn't need to jump on this right away - actually July and August are bad months to try to get a lot set up anyway - vacations, graduations, etc, etc :)

Haven't I said relax about a 1000 times by this point :)

We will even have research fairs and contacts once you get here - the upper years can really help set things up for you. There is a lot of knowledge transfer down the chain.

Don't worry that much about it. The SRTP projects don't even go online until after Christmas, and neither does most summer elective stuff. There will be a summer elective fair where the second years will tell you about all the things you can do.

I wouldn't worry about it until after the first semester, honestly. Except maybe a casual look around if it will make you feel more on top of things.

As was mentioned in the above posts, the SROP and SRTP project proposals are sent in by the PIs and the lists don't come out until you're well into the school year.

However, if you're looking to organize your own research project like in Toronto hospitals, then from what I've heard it's never too early to start looking around and asking. Sometimes, you might need time to do applications for funding, so the earlier the better. But even, then... there's plenty of time in the fall. Now = summer = relax

• 4 years later...
On 7/2/2012 at 11:09 AM, rmorelan said:

Sure - I work about 10 hours a week in a research lab and have since years 1. It is all about where you want to put your priorities :)

rmorelan, I realize this thread is old but I wanted to ask about the work you did in a research lab since year 1 - was this volunteer work, or part of the SROP program? As well, when and how did you find your PI (was a list made available, or did you seek out your own contact?). And finally, how did you end up being involved in a drug trial? Thank you so much! 

On 7/3/2012 at 11:24 PM, zergling said:

As was mentioned in the above posts, the SROP and SRTP project proposals are sent in by the PIs and the lists don't come out until you're well into the school year.

However, if you're looking to organize your own research project like in Toronto hospitals, then from what I've heard it's never too early to start looking around and asking. Sometimes, you might need time to do applications for funding, so the earlier the better. But even, then... there's plenty of time in the fall. Now = summer = relax

You can also contact a supervisor ahead of time and apply for SRTP/SROP together with the supervisor.

I preferred the flexibility of just doing it directly with the professor and I didn't really care about the other benefits of the SROP program - plus it has time restrictions. 

I knew my skill set and just started asking people at the Robart's Institute in my case. Had a position in less than a week that lasted 3 years. 

Now for many the other research programs have been very useful to be clear. 

You would be surprised as a medical student though how easy it is to get access to labs etc. 

Let me plug the excellent research opportunities though the Canadian Rheumatology Association.
https://rheum.ca/en/students/summer_studentship

There is a
- Clinical studentship
- Research studentship (can be clinical research, not bench stuff)

It is a popular and successful program with enthusiastic mentors in London; there may be mentors in Windsor as well.

Go ahead and read the student testimonials. Application currently closed for this year, but check it out next year.

Archived