Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest jaelle

I'm an Alberta resident who just completed an honors BSc at the U of A.

My cummulative GPA was 3.7, prereq GPA was 3.85 at the time of application.

MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by UAlberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

Guest MUC1

I'm a Alberta resident who just finished my 2nd year of undergrad studies. My GPA was 3.97 (prereq 4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

I've only applied to the U of A, and will be accepting the admissions offer. See you all there!

Guest Salkh

I am an in-province applicant in undergrad. My cummulative GPA was 3.9 and prereq. GPA 3.8. MCAT scores:

BS 10

VR 08

PS 08

WS P

I have been waitlisted by the UofA. I also applied to UofC but was rejected without interview. This was the first time I applied to both schools.

edit: I was just accepted off the waitlist June 30th. So it is possible to get in with below average MCAT marks!!!

OOP applicant (BC)... B.Sc Biology 2003

UofA pre-req and cumulative GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 10V, 10P, 11B, Q

I thought I had an awful interview, but maybe not... I was rejected outright after interview last year, so I suppose I've made some progress...

Good luck everyone

I'm an Alberta resident in undergraduate studies. My overall GPA is 3.94 (prereq=3.95) and my MCAT scores were:

V=11

P=12

B=13

WS=P.

I was accepted by U of A. This is my first time applying to this school, and I'll be accepting their offer.

Guest yntrrr

I'm an Alberta resident who finished their 3rd year in an honours undergraduate degree.

My pre req GPA was 3.95 and my overall was 4.0 ( I know, i don't understand the calc either - isn't your pre req part of your overall?).

My MCAT scores:

BS:14

PS:14

VR:11

WS: Q

I was rejected by UofA post interview. This is my first time applying. I applied at UofA, UBC, UofC, Queens, and Toronto. Waitlist only @ UA. Rest was pooched.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a third year McMaster student and Ontario resident and was accepted off the waitlist awhile back (Just never posted). I have a 3.90 GPA and my MCAT's were:

11P

10V

11B

R

I was waitlisted at Memorial and accepted at Western where I will be attending in the Fall!

Good luck to all those at UofA!!!

Guest fluidity2

I am a 4th year Alberta resident with a degree in Biochemistry. I have finally signed up for this forum instead of just visiting. I graduated with a 3.92 GPA and must have the lowest MCAT marks of all of us who will be attending U of A:

9 V

8 P

9 B

Q

I only applied to 2 places, U of C and U of A. Rejected by U of C without interview. Early acceptance by U of A. Go figure.

• 9 months later...
Guest NorthernMed

I'm OOP for UofA (IP for UofC), completed my B.Sc in 2003 (UofC). My overall GPA was 3.97 (UofA Pre-req: 3.58) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: N

I was rejected (pre-interview) by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school. I was accepted at UofS and UofC.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UofC as my first choice.

Good luck to all those gunning for UofA!!!

Cheers,

N

• 3 weeks later...
Guest megs29

I'm a SK resident with a B.Sc. in Biology. My GPA was 3.7 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: O

I was accepted by Alberta, Ottawa and Queen's. This is my first time applying to this school. I am still undecided on where to go.

Megs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MDmmmsure

So excited to be posting here....

I'm an Alberta resident....done four years of an honors immunology and infection degree (6 courses short).....

I was accepted by the UofA......

cGPA:3.9

Pre-req GPA:3.95

MCAT: VR-8, PS-10, BS-11, W-Q

Lot's of extra's: research, sports, clubs, volunteering (including hospital), etc.

Accepted: UofA

waitlisted: UofC (withdrew), UofS (withdrew)

rejected without interview: McMaster, Queens, Western (missed MCAT cutoff's at last two schools)

UofA was my first choice all along....funny how things work out....I will be accepting the offer

Guest bigmac

In province. Accepted May 30th. I graduated from UofC with a BSc in Kinesiology in 2004 and have been working in a lab this past year.

Stats

GPA: 3.84 (best three years)

MCAT: PS 12, VR 12, BS 11, WS R

EC's: hospital volunteer, AIDS Calgary volunteer, varsity athlete, research experience, etc.

I will be accepting an offer from UofC so good luck to those on the waitlist.

D Mac

Guest wildrose

I was accepted as an in-province applicant.

GPA: 3.90 GPA prereq: 3.83

MCAT: 9(VR), 9(BS), 8(PS), O(WS)

BSc. and MSc. in Biochemistry and PhD in Physiology, two years of postdoc in Psychiatry.

This is my first time applying. I applied to UofC and UofA and

was accepted by both.

I am going to accept the offer from UofA.

Good luck to all those who are waiting!

• 1 month later...
Guest Floetic

hey ya'll,

In province

GPA 3.7

MCAT 37R

Accepted by U of A and U of T, first time.

Going to U of A baby!

Look forward to seeing everyone there. ;)

• 10 months later...
Guest loud noises

I just finished my undergrad degree in Science Psychology at the U of A!

I was accepted by Alberta, Calgary, and waitlisted at UBC and Western. Rejected pre-interview from U of S, U of M, U of T, U of O, NOSM, Queens, Mac. This is my first time applying to any med school.

GPA: 8.4, 3.71, 3.78, 4.0

MCAT: 29R (9 in PS), 30Q (even split)...yes, I sucked it up on the MCAT- first time I just walked in without knowing what I was doing, second time I studied...like you can tell:rollin

Of all the schools I applied to, U of A is my #1 choice!

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Alberta resident, 4 years out of an undergrad Biochem degree.

GPA = 3.56ish

MCAT = 12, 12, 12, S

I was accepted by UofA

Waitlisted by UofC, then accepted in early June

Rejected post-interview by UBC

Waitlisted by UofM

Rejected pre-interview by: UofT, UofO, UWO, Queens.

This is my second year applying. Last year I was waitlisted at UofC and rejected post-interview at UofA.

I have accepted an offer at the University of Calgary.

Guest TiBz88

I am an Alberta resident and just finished the 4th year of my undergrad degree (Honors Physiology).

GPA: 3.9

Pre-req GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 31Q

ECs: multiple crisis counseling positions, student government, camp counselor, hospital work, various fund-raising campaigns, three years of summer research and honors project with publications... received well above average scores on last years application

Accepted by U of A and this is my second time applying (rejected post-interview at UofA last year).

I also interviewed at UBC, but currently waitlisted. UofA is my first choice. I'm considering a deferral this year so my spot might be open to someone else.

Good luck to everyone I know in the race. Physiology sweep this year???

~Troy~

Accepted as a 3rd year, in-province applicant. Was working on a BSc in bio.

Year 1: 3.77

Year 2: 3.77

Year 3: 3.71

Pre-req GPA: 3.87

cGPA (UofA calculated): 3.7

MCAT: 12 VR, 13 BS, 14 PS, P

Volunteered on hospital units, health promotion group at university, played intramurals and kept busy with clubs, did two summers of research work too.

EDIT: In-province/2-3year waitlist will move one spot, because I'll be taking a spot at Calgary...congrats to all and all the best at UofA!

Guest Fizz29

I am an Alberta resident nearing the end of a PhD.

GPA: 3.6

Pre-req GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 34S

I was accepted by U of A and this is my second time applying (rejected pre-interview at U of A and post-interview at U of C last year with an MCAT score of 25R). I only applied to U of A this year...call me crazy but I thought I would work for a year and then apply everywhere but now it looks like I will be a med student!!

I have done little volunteer work but have lots of research experience, publications, and have sat on various committees.

Guest slypimpdip

Accepted as a 3rd year, in-province applicant. Was working on a BSc in bio.

Pre-req GPA: 3.83

cGPA 3.9

MCAT: 12 PS, 7 VR *oh yes*, 13BS, Q

(32Q)

Done a fair bit of volunteering with hospitals, coaching, organizations. Played provincial level club basketball, volleyball. Two years of research work in the summer.

First time applying to U of A, and it was the only school I had applied to.

Guest Scholastica

I'm a 4th year OOP applicant from London, ON. Here're my stats:

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 32Q (12 bio, 11 physics, 9 verbal)

E.Cs: Lots (research, hospital/nursing home volunteering, clubs, student government, fundraising, tutoring, etc)

It was my first time applying to medical schools, including UofA. I didn't think I was gonna get accepted to Alberta b/c I'm an OOP applicant. It feels incredible to be accepted here. :)

Guest soccerboy85

Accepted as a 3rd year, in-province applicant. Was working on a BSc in biology with a business minor.

Pre-req GPA: 3.93

cGPA 3.96

MCAT: 11 PS, 9 VR, 12BS, R

(32R)

Have done a lot of volunteering at a hospital, with children with disabilities, VP of faculty student group and other organizations. Played provincial and national level soccer. One summer of research.

U of A was the only school I applied to and it was my first time applying.

Guest kmizzle94

First year applying, in-province, just finishing my Master's in Physiology at UofA (1 publication). BSc in Pharmacology...

Undergrad GPA ~3.85/4.0 and 4.0 Grad GPA

MCAT: 10 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS, R Writing

~1yr hospital volunteering at 2 separate locations, loads of sports activities and student council positions (high school and university)

I'm ecstatic... wasn't expecting this since I felt as though I bombed my UofA interview. Completely blanked on 2 questions (even though the interviewer told me not to worry about them, of course i did!)... so as important as the interview is, don't lose all hope if you miss a question or two!