Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Dental Schools- Recent statistics & Prereqs Charts

m1428

Hi everyone,

I originally posted these charts for my blog, but thought some people here might find these useful for a quick overview of dental school admissions in Canada.

Dentistry-+Chart+3.bmp

Dentistry-+Chart+1.bmp

Most recent update (Oct 6): All school stats (except for 1-2 schools without data for class of 2012) updated.

-Note: Most stats are from official documents (published by the schools) or credible sources on premed101.

Dentistry-+Chart+2.bmp

Also, if anyone has any "missing" info (or corrections!), please feel free to post here/PM me so I can add it to the charts. Good luck with your applications!

edit: They are based on most recent stats available in July 2012. I have just started updating some numbers for the current cycle (U of T went from 64-> 70 seats).

How current are these stats? UT accepts ~95 students/year compared to the 64 mentioned in your chart.

The ~95 number includes foreign trained dentists (25), which I deemed as irrelevant... and I just realized the number has changed to 70 + 25 since I made these.

Hi everyone,

I originally posted these charts for my blog, but thought some people here might find these useful for a quick overview of dental school admissions in Canada.

Dentistry-+Chart+1.bmp

Dentistry-+Chart+2.bmp

Also, if anyone has any "missing" info (or corrections!), please feel free to PM me so I can add it to the charts. Good luck with your applications!

Thanks for the post! But how current are these stats?

When did uoft start accepting 70 people? I thought the class size was 64-65?

Wow, can't believe there are so many dentists graduating from Quebec every year... does anyone know why they have such ridiculously high numbers? It must be so easy to get into a Quebec school for an IP?

There's some conflicting info on the U of T Dentistry website... on the main page, "The Faculty is the largest dental school in Canada. It graduates approximately 70 qualified dentists each year and 25 foreign trained dentists.",

While in the FAQ: "Each year we admit 64 domestic applicants into our Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS). A maximum of 10% of the first year places may be offered to out-of-province applicants. We also admit up to 11 international applicants each year."

Hmm, I guess 75 seems most likely? But they don't always accept 11 international applicants, in which the "70 qualified dentists" makes sense... I will make changes to reflect this.

56 is the total size of the UWO class, including international and oop

Thank you.

Could you provide details about reference letters (for those that require) and more about the applications, etc. My apologies if this sounds broad.

Sorry, that sort of information belongs on an entirely different chart- perhaps some time later, I'll compile an additional chart for general admissions info.

quick question! where did you get the information about the lowest GPA interviewed for U of T?

by the way, thanks for doing this for all the predents!

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergraduateacademic.html

It should be noted that the average GPA of accepted applicants is significantly higher- the only number I could find was ~3.85 (for those accepted in 2010) in some random post on SDN. It wasn't entirely credible, so I didn't include it.

Good luck to everyone!

McGill accepts about 25, but in addition, about 5 or so comes from pre-dent, so total of about 30 per class. Of the 25, less than 10 or so is OOP. From what I remember, they interview about 50 OOP in my year, not sure about the number of IP interviewed. I think it was slightly more.

McGill accepts about 25, but in addition, about 5 or so comes from pre-dent, so total of about 30 per class. Of the 25, less than 10 or so is OOP. From what I remember, they interview about 50 OOP in my year, not sure about the number of IP interviewed. I think it was slightly more.

Could you provide the source(s) from where you attained the information you've provided? Much appreciated!

I don't have a link, but the information is based on my class and what the admins told me last year when I volunteered to help guide the 2016 DMD interviewees to their interview room.

Although, I have to say that the curriculum for the DMD class of 2017 is changing, so I don't know if they are going to change the number of acceptances.

Hope that helps.

I don't have a link, but the information is based on my class and what the admins told me last year when I volunteered to help guide the 2016 DMD interviewees to their interview room.

Although, I have to say that the curriculum for the DMD class of 2017 is changing, so I don't know if they are going to change the number of acceptances.

Hope that helps.

Are you only referring to the change in DMD @ McGill or in generally all in Canada?

Could you provide the source(s) from where you attained the information you've provided? Much appreciated!

Hope that helps.

The info is on the McGill dentistry website- recently updated with stats for class of 2016, I assume.

Archived