Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Dental Schools- Recent statistics & Prereqs Charts

m1428

Added a new chart with general admissions info- again, if anyone has any missing info or corrections, please post here/PM. Thanks.

I think UBC requires 3 ref letters. And for western, post-interview formula is 60% academics not gpa (academics can include more than just the gpa because they do say that they might reward trends, consistency etc.).

• 4 weeks later...
McGill accepts about 25, but in addition, about 5 or so comes from pre-dent, so total of about 30 per class. Of the 25, less than 10 or so is OOP. From what I remember, they interview about 50 OOP in my year, not sure about the number of IP interviewed. I think it was slightly more.

Thanks for the info. Just a question regarding McGill's pre-requisite courses. One of their requirement is one full year course (or 2 half courses) of physical chemistry with labs. I have only one half course with lab and another half course of physical chem but no lab. Would this be accepted?

Thanks.

Do most of the schools drop your lowest year? How are GPA determined for each school. Much appreciated!

-I'll try to integrate that somehow.

Thanks for the info. Just a question regarding McGill's pre-requisite courses. One of their requirement is one full year course (or 2 half courses) of physical chemistry with labs. I have only one half course with lab and another half course of physical chem but no lab. Would this be accepted?

Thanks.

-You should ask the admissions office directly.

Wait now I'm confused. Does Western give preference to people who have completed Physics/Chem/Bio with lab??

-I directly quoted from Schulich dentistry- "It is to their advantage to have successfully completed 1.0 laboratory course in biology, chemistry and physics;"- it depends on how you interpret it, but I guess if you have those courses you might have a slight advantage, or not. I wouldn't say they give preference to people who have completed Physics/Chem/Bio with lab though.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/ddsadmissions#Prerequisiterequirements

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just graduated from Sydney dental school last year in 2012.

Our unis are supplying way too many dentists these days so there are no jobs for us in Australia. We need to put food on the table as well so that's why we are coming to steal ur jobs in Canada! It is not our fault that Australia dental job market is so poor.

Look online and you can find many references about how our Australian Dental Association is trying to convince our selfish Australian government that there is an oversupply but they are not listening.

Now it seems like you Canadians will have to pay the price for their policy!

Take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/AustralianDentalAssociation

It says "one in five dental students in Australia cannot find work after graduating in 2012."

• 5 months later...

Hey all, I've gone through the Anglophone dental school admissions websites and compiled their information into three charts: admission req overview, DAT scores and required & recommended courses. They are available on Google Docs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuQuGlmKq4LVdGNkOGd2MjF6bG9od2hNaDZZOE52NkE

Please feel free to contact me if you spot an error, would like to make a suggestion or if you can supply the information for U of Montreal and Laval. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hey all, I've gone through the Anglophone dental school admissions websites and compiled their information into three charts: admission req overview, DAT scores and required & recommended courses. They are available on Google Docs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuQuGlmKq4LVdGNkOGd2MjF6bG9od2hNaDZZOE52NkE

Please feel free to contact me if you spot an error, would like to make a suggestion or if you can supply the information for U of Montreal and Laval. Thanks!

i went thru ur chart it was quite helpful, thx! i was wondering if there were any school other than uwo that take ur top 2 years (i am doing 5 years of uni and only have 2 good years)

thx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
i went thru ur chart it was quite helpful, thx! i was wondering if there were any school other than uwo that take ur top 2 years (i am doing 5 years of uni and only have 2 good years)

thx

Depending on your GPA of the two years + DAT scores, you could have a shot at the interview. Wow them then.

Nice Chart but it will be more helpful if there was a rating chart about which one of these universities have the best dental school.The closest info I could find was this http://dentistryguides.org/5-best-dental-schools-canada/

I wouldn't trust the school rankings in your link is because a) Concordia University doesn't even have a school of dentistry (Maybe they meant McGill?) B) The article doesn't even give any reasons for why those 5 (well, 4) schools are the "best".

Does it even matter if a DS is ranked the "best"? All Canadian DS will transform you into a dentist. What's important is if YOU like their curriculum, teaching style (eg. PBL), clinic, etc.

So, I recommend talking to current students or recent alum, and visiting the schools... in order to find out which school is the BEST fit for YOU. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

2 months later.....you could have found this info online in about 20 minutes max

You should visit Quora. I swear, every time people ask questions there, I want to beat my head against the wall. They can easily google those questions and find good answers, but no, they ask people to do this job for them.  :confused: 

• 1 year later...

Archived