Premed 101 Forums

Countdown for CASPer

Website accessed and timeslots entered.

For the sample questions that come up on the actual exam, I'm sure all of us will have perfectly crafted answers at the character limits. Just have it printed beside you and type, type away.

My next week will be split between Doing Right, these samples, and Typeracer.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the sample questions that come up on the actual exam, I'm sure all of us will have perfectly crafted answers at the character limits. Just have it printed beside you and type, type away.

haha, did you peek at my to do list?

Just looked at the 'sample' videos. Response: Argh, I really have no idea what to say! At least one of these I've even already discussed at length with my friends to no conclusions at all. I have no idea how to go about this, even :(

Is it legit to answer "it depends" to everything? Because seriously, that's where I'm at.

I'm assuming that's not sarcasm, so DO NOT do what you just described there. McMaster records your typing and error-correction patterns through the whole test, if you end up getting an interview (that's explained in the system verification videos). That's an unnecessary risk that will cost you even if you do really well.

I'm assuming that's not sarcasm, so DO NOT do what you just described there. McMaster records your typing and error-correction patterns through the whole test, if you end up getting an interview (that's explained in the system verification videos). That's an unnecessary risk that will cost you even if you do really well.

Well, they're certainly quite crafty. Thanks for the information jerr.

I probably wasn't going to prepare answers anyway, but I suppose I'll just stick to rough notes containing all of the points that I want to discuss.

I bet they are providing us with samples that will be on the test to determine whether given the chance to prepare will improve/alter scores. Unless it is a means to help individuals prep a little and therefore eliminate any errors that might arise from not being familiar with CASPEr.

I disagree. Why would they tell you that two of the scenarios will be on the exam if they didn't want you to prepare for it?? Yes, I know they could look at your typing patterns, but IMO it wouldn't be that much different when you're typing from notes or if you're typing from just thinking, except perhaps for speed. My point just is, if they didn't want you to prepare at all, they wouldn't have told you and just have it as a 'nice' surprise on the test.

I bet they are providing us with samples that will be on the test to determine whether given the chance to prepare will improve/alter scores. Unless it is a means to help individuals prep a little and therefore eliminate any errors that might arise from not being familiar with CASPEr.

Probably this. Why? Because this way it eliminates that bias and they can get a much more accurate comparison between people. It also prevents people from complaining afterwards that they had no idea what to expect.

You do as mucH as you can? Expectations are lower than you may think.

Exactly. No-one is going to have amazing answers in that short of a time frame. Remember you have three questions to answer in 5 minutes, you really just need to jot down exactly what comes to mind and not dwell.

This is likely why they are considering CASPer as a replacement for MMI. By giving you a strict (and short) time-limit on CASPer, it forces you to start "saying" stuff right away (i.e. TYPE). Just like in MMI, if you sat and thought about something for a couple minutes before saying anything, you're going to look very awkward and probably not do well.

Does anyone know what kinds of non-scenario personal background questions will most likely be on the test? It'd be good to know so we can mentally prepare for them. Thanks!

I disagree. Why would they tell you that two of the scenarios will be on the exam if they didn't want you to prepare for it?? Yes, I know they could look at your typing patterns, but IMO it wouldn't be that much different when you're typing from notes or if you're typing from just thinking, except perhaps for speed. My point just is, if they didn't want you to prepare at all, they wouldn't have told you and just have it as a 'nice' surprise on the test.

Do you mean the 4 sample questions in the CASPer account menu?

Does anyone know what kinds of non-scenario personal background questions will most likely be on the test? It'd be good to know so we can mentally prepare for them. Thanks!

Consult a list of traditional medical school interview questions.

Yes, they tell you that 2 of the scenarios will be reused on the exam. And as I said before, unlikely that they will *not* ask you the same questions, since really there isn't much to interpret regarding the video clip and that limits the questions (you'll see if you look at it)

I'd love to know what they're going to do with people like me who type on Dvorak keyboards. I mean, they can sit me down at a normal typing station, and app kjdtqod usglu ks udk sfk sy md g; kjg; ;sok sy md;;e Lsk .dot mdalgluyfp G hslqk ;frrs;de Nfk G ufd;; tsfqh ;kgpp udk .aufd ghda; ansfk ktrglu ;rddh alh dooso isoodikgsl{

(That's what happens when I try to type with my keyboard set to qwerty.)

Hey! Yes I have also been reading Doing right. I am hoping my speedy typing will help as well. I saw the mock CASPer site but didn't go to far in depth as I figured they wanted my money...lol do you know what it costs? if it is free I'd do it. I don't even think you have to be alone for the actual CASPer. I think some people do it together (not for me) I am actually trying to be as unscripted as possible for CASPer and my interviews. Trying not to prepare to much so I don't screw up if things don't go they way they "should" discussion wise.

I'm pretty sure the site opens up as a pop-up so check to see if you have pop-ups disabled.

Remember that all stations are not necessarily scored. My personal belief is that the 2 "repeat" stations (ie. the ones that have been released already) will likely be used for administrative purposes (to see if people score significantly better on those relative to the other stations), and won't actually be used when scoring for interviewees.

This is just my idea though. They could very well score everything, lol.

Hey Savac, thanks for replying. I find it pretty ridiculous that it was WAYYYYYY down my spam mail (had to go down a few pages to even see it). Thanks though, it's pretty scary and now I'll have to start checking my spam mail along with my inbox every day :/

Archived