Premed 101 Forums

Countdown for CASPer

I disagree. I think the MCAT is significantly easier.

I personally think now that I've seen it in action, 5 minutes is NOT enough time to do any proper job on answering these questions. At most, I mustered about 4-5 sentences on an answer. I can only imagine how this must suck if you're not good at typing.

In general, I don't think I did particularly well or particular poor for that matter. I certainly had questions I didn't get to finish answering, some where I felt I didn't really give a great answer, and some where I thought I did a good job.

I do agree that the videos weren't particularly informative.

That's going to be everybody. Obviously I would be able to fully answer the questions much better had they given more time. But everybody is on an equal playing field and we do the best we can in the time allotted.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Casper gives those with fast typing skills a very significant advantage that really detracts from the value of the test.

Why not make it multiple choice? It would address the above issue, plus it would allow for:

(a) Larger sample size of questions for a given amount of time

(B) Potential for standardized scoring

© Cheaper and faster scoring

Or instead just do a short Skype version of MMI to decide (using of course GPA, MCAT, etc. as well) who gets an invitation to the actual MMI....

Just some ideas.

but that would go exactly against the whole purpose of Casper wouldn't it? I agree that it unfairly favors fast typers etc but standardizing it is against the point of Casper. Casper is trying to test your 'personality' and 'though process' a multiple choice answer can't test that accurately...like there is more than one correct answer...its all about your thought process etc

and doing a skype version would be wayyyyy too impractical...how many thousands of people apply to Mac every year?

That's going to be everybody. Obviously I would be able to fully answer the questions much better had they given more time. But everybody is on an equal playing field and we do the best we can in the time allotted.

I hear you -- that's not my argument. I'm simply saying I don't think the exam is achieving what they're hoping for.

Hope it went well for everyone...It was definitely interesting. I didn't find it difficult at all but the time constraint definitely made me think that anyone with poor typing skills would be screwed which shouldn't be what it is about. I was able to get about over 500 characters per answer probably closer to 800 most times sometimes more sometimes less. I was only really unable to answer one question fully last word got cut off, other than that it was a good experience. Hoping I answered well enough for them and answered in a way that they were looking for...:confused: ..oh well it is over now...now to wait more. How much on average was everyone else writing per questio** moved to thoughts on CASPer

• 4 years later...

Everybody cheats on this stupid test, and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it, so don't get your panties all in a bunch.

How do you know for a fact that everybody cheats on the Casper? I think they are probably even filming you while you're writing the exam: "the CASPer test is embedded with additional security features in the background – some subtle and some imperceptible, in order to detect for suspicious activity."

but that would go exactly against the whole purpose of Casper wouldn't it? I agree that it unfairly favors fast typers etc but standardizing it is against the point of Casper. Casper is trying to test your 'personality' and 'though process' a multiple choice answer can't test that accurately...like there is more than one correct answer...its all about your thought process etc

and doing a skype version would be wayyyyy too impractical...how many thousands of people apply to Mac every year?

I've interviewed before via recorded video interviews, where the video interview took place after submission of your written application and before a Skype interview. They were also screening thousands of applicants. It's something that should be doable for casper, would help in eliminating accusations of cheating, and should lessen the disadvantages arising from the format. Meanwhile, it's more practical and less time consuming than scheduling and conducting a Skype interview for each applicant.

If you leave the last question blank, do you score 0 for this question or they give you a score based on the section as an whole ?

From what I've been told, they mark based on the section as a whole. Take this with a grain of salt though. It's hard to get reliable answers about CASPER. I would guess that they mark based off the entire scenario (all 3 questions), as I did leave a question blank on my CASPER. Anecdotal though.

From what I've been told, they mark based on the section as a whole. Take this with a grain of salt though. It's hard to get reliable answers about CASPER. I would guess that they mark based off the entire scenario (all 3 questions), as I did leave a question blank on my CASPER. Anecdotal though.

Or maybe they only choose 9 or 10 out of the 12 sections (the one you completed). That would give us some flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe they only choose 9 or 10 out of the 12 sections (the one you completed). That would give us some flexibility.

J'avais lu que chaque section (comportant 3 questions) vaut 9 points au total (3 points par question). On m'a conseillé de répondre à toutes les questions même avec des réponses écrites trop rapidement plutôt que d'en skipper. Cette info serait à confirmer.

Archived